Might & Magic X - First Week of Early Access & New Dev Chat

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Early access has been available for a week, and a new post talks about the problems gamers are having. Here is the graph with the bug fixes.

Thank you so much for your interest in MMX and for buying the Early Access Offer. During the last week, our first week of Early Access, we have received a lot of comments and feedback! First of all, let me give you a huge "THANK YOU“ on behalf of the whole MMX team! We’ve all been so excited and we appreciate it very much that you guys are supporting us! You might have noticed an “R” infront of your forums thread – which means this thread was read and has been in review.

Now of course we’ve studied all your feedback very intensely and today we’d like to share with you our first results of all MMX Early Access Player Feedback that has reached us. All in all we’ve received more than 100 different suggestions, bug reports and gameplay feedback. While fixing bugs is a matter of course, I’d like to concentrate in this blog post on feedback that you guys might see as “general review feedback” although the one or the other might also include a bug fix.
There's also another post informing us of another Dev Chat.

We are aware that there is a lot more feedback and we’d like to discuss all of your concerns and ideas in our next IRC Dev Chat, starting this Wensday (28.08.) at 6 pm (GMT+2).
More information.

Wow, they seem very responsive, and most of the popular suggestions were exactly what I had issues with.

So people would like to have respawns ? that's a surprise!

Eh in an M&M game, not so surprising, it's what people are familiar with. I just hope they limit them to certain areas though.

Respawns in outdoor areas when reentering is ok, dungeon monsters should not respawn imo. But some grinding in a MM game is ok by me.

By the time the enemies respawn all they are is a nuisance. One hit and it's good night and the exp/gold wont be worth the effort.

I wont mind as much if I can cast meteor shower or starburst on the suckers though.

Eh in an M&M game, not so surprising, it's what people are familiar with. I just hope they limit them to certain areas though.

I'd correct it into : "respawns are something people have been familiar with since Blizzard. I fear that they rather perceive it as "another hack & slay game" ?

But - which in fact all of the M&M games were.

A certain someone will be quite mad when he reads this.

Yes ! ;)

So people would like to have respawns ? that's a surprise!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

NO….. *sob* PLEASE… let us deactivate them as option!

THAT
IS
SO
WRONG!

It was the BEST thing about old games like "World of Xeen", that you could "free" a dungeon and a forest. That you know, ok I solved this area, cleared it and pacified it, and now the evil is GONE, and it DOESNT return!

I hate this. I vividly PASSIONATELY HATE this respawn. It's why I STOPPED playing Diablo after Diablo 2.

Respawn sucks! I want the epic heroic feeling to have cleared a dungeon and then enjoy the silence I created! I rarely say that, but it is a clear dealbreaker for me. Alas. I try not to hinge buy or no buy one singular features. But respawn is a clear DONT BUY for me.

Last edited:
Of all RPGs I played, I guess the one with the worst respawns is Sacred, isn't funny to go through an area fighting a lot of enemies and return few minutes later with almost all of them already respawned...

The problem here is that some M&M's had respawn (1,2,6,7,8) and some didn't (3,4,5).

MMX is largely based on MM3,4,5 in terms of movement/construction, but has a lot of MM6,7,8 in its RPG mechanics.

This means that pleasing everyone is a problem.

MM6 respawns were based on time passage - different zones had different respawn timers. This would seem the best solution for MMX, with a bit of care. But I would personally tone down the amount of respawn, so that a player who doesn't like respawn isn't swamped by monsters all over again, but rather just has to handle a smaller, more managable repop. This approach would also feel more organic, like life returning to a once-destroyed area.

But I would personally tone down the amount of respawn, so that a player who doesn't like respawn isn't swamped by monsters all over again, but rather just has to handle a smaller, more managable repop. This approach would also feel more organic, like life returning to a once-destroyed area.
That should work.
In fact what should work and sell the game to both parties is a clickable starting option:
endless respawns? YEA-NAY

So far no dev dared to put such option in a game.

I would definitely welcome the ability to turn respawns off, plus time delay to respawn so that there's no balance issues from having the option as the exp / gold will be trivial by the time they've respawned.

Balancing would be tricky even with the timer since grind your skills/levels to godlike turns every game into being too easy and some players who are grindloves would want a more challenging difficulty.
Of course, they can always put lesser XP gain in case you choose grinder option, hopefully noone will be forced to make a mod like in some other endless respawn games (example FO3).

That should work.

Well if you in your position as the prime respawn adversary of the watch feel that a system with limited respawns would be ok, then I think that's the way to go. I would guess that a Yes/No option would cause some balance issues, while limited respawns would not. And it makes perfect sense, at least in outdoor areas (it does seem a bit unlikely that every feral dog and sabretooth tiger and flying ferret would be at that exact location when you pass through…)

In Dungeons I still think they shouldn't respawn, unless there's some explanation for it. (I don't have a proplem with Skeletons or Zombies respawning in a graveyard or tomb, I do have a problem with the Bandit chief respawning after you've already killed him. Unless he respawns as the Zombie bandit king. That would make perfect sense…)

Of all RPGs I played, I guess the one with the worst respawns is Sacred, isn't funny to go through an area fighting a lot of enemies and return few minutes later with almost all of them already respawned…

I can't think of one game where I've been annoyed by respawns.

Sacred 2 was the closest I got, but that game sucked anyway and the respawns were annoying because they were of monsters using the awful, awful sacred 2 monster difficulty scaling where investing any points in anything only make you weaker.

I can think of more relevant examples where, coupled with good design, respawns enhance and complete the game in such ways that they could only be seen as good. Like Dark Souls.

Wiz 8 didn't have endless respawns, it had endless monsters!! :)

Back
Top Bottom