Age of Conan - Preview @ Ten Ton Hammer

Inauro

Watcher
Ten Ton Hammer goes hands on with Funcom's upcoming MMO, Age of Conan.
But combat in Age of Conan was nonethless, to me, a glorious change of pace. Players attack by using the keyboard keys above the default WASD movement keys, that is, [1], [2], [3], [Q], and [E]. [Q] swings the weapon left to right, [E] right to left, and the numeric keys in between swing from various points in an arc over the players head. During the course of the game, players unlock abilities and ability slots, which allow the player to do special attacks by pressing a series of highlighted keypresses. Jørgen explained that it was important to keep the two combat mechanics mapped separately to accommodate hybrid magic and melee classes, so spells are cast using the function keys.
Another cool feature of combat in Age of Conan is that attacks move the character; the character naturally moves forward as he or she swings. If you're properly oriented toward your enemy, clicking and holding the right mouse button to adjust the camera angle, this immersion-enhancing feature keeps your character constantly in line with your enemy's hitbox, allowing you to intuitively strafe and step backward to dodge incoming blows.
More information.

But combat in Age of Conan was nonethless, to me, a glorious change of pace. Players attack by using the keyboard keys above the default WASD movement keys, that is, [1], [2], [3], [Q], and [E]. [Q] swings the weapon left to right, [E] right to left, and the numeric keys in between swing from various points in an arc over the players head. During the course of the game, players unlock abilities and ability slots, which allow the player to do special attacks by pressing a series of highlighted keypresses.

There is not one PC gamer on Earth who will find this even remotely fun.

What the heck are they smoking?

Sounds more like Gothic combat system than regular MMO ones. That's good in my opinion, finally "live" combat in an online game.

They'd do better to have some sort of mouse control governing combat moves rather than a tedious key set-up. But I guess it depends on how it performs in-game. It seems like, at best, it's ideally suited to a, well, Conan-like character, always on the advance in an attack. Playing a finesse character under that system at first read, sounds like a nightmare of keyboard and mouse use. I guess it's ok if you are ambidextrous and finesse-oriented :p

A gamepad seems like a logical tool to handle combat in the game, though switching from keyboard to gamepad could be a pain.

But, it does sound like a better system for PVP play than, say, WoW uses.

Back
Top Bottom