Wiz8 debate

At least you didn't have to be institutionalized. :D

And our merry ironman band moves on. We've got all 3 devices, have pushed the Umpani/Trang thing as far as possible without picking a side, have cleared 2 of 3 easter egg dungeons, and will be clearing the mountain wilderness and southern wild zones next.

The movers boxed everything today, so it might be a while before I've got home internet access again. I'll porbably sneak a post or two from work, but until everything's settled down, it will be quiet and dark. Keep on pushing your parties all, and we'll compare progress in the future!

Ah, the Arnika Road!!! I spent many an hour or two engaged in multitudinous, multifaceted, melodramatic, and metacognitive mayhem there, as I made my way from point A to B!! :biggrin:

I still remember coming from the Monastery with a party weak on hit points and stubling upon this swarm of wasps on the Arnika Road that brutally slayed every character with their insect ways. That's when I started coming up with the 'run to a safe spot before they see you' strategy.

Just normal this time around. I've done the difficult setting before, but didn't feel the urge this time.

Just normal this time around. I've done the difficult setting before, but didn't feel the urge this time.

I have never completed it on the most difficult setting on ironman, I think this is something very impressive to do :)

Thanks for reminding me of that great game. ***must install again soon***
If i had to pick the one best feature, I'd go with the personality you chose for your generic PCs. I wonder why this idea has not been copied. That would have been a bless for games like Icewind Dale 1&2 or the later Might & Magics.

Yes, it adds a lot to the game IMO. I think MM7 tried to do this a bit with the different voices, but that became merely a contest to find the least irritationg one--I had one in my last game that insisted on repeating " that didn't hurt AT All-it's only a scratch" and then dying...:)

Ironman on difficult would indeed be a challenge! I played on "novice" all the way to Arnika!

Southern wilds cleared (actually did a much better job than usual with that one, if I do say so myself). Mountain Wild and Egg #3 next on the agenda.

Relocation has been a complete disaster. Might get the PC set up tomorrow night. I think the DSL at home is scheduled for Friday. Just might manage to get a little gaming done over the holidays.

Progress reports, folks?

Why do I feel like a child handing over a bad report card to his parents for inspection ? My band is only now entering the Arnika road; I've met and defeated a first group of raiders but I had to immediately retreat afterwards to rest. My fighter is level 7 and the rest are level 6, too low to make any real progress, it seems to me, therefore I think I'll camp here for a while to gain a few levels. But I've read all the caveats about this section already, so I wont stay put for long.
I'm satisfied with my group; love my bishop, although I cant understand why so much of his divinity spellcasting attempts fizzle out, when it's his most highly skilled school.
I blame my recent WoW addiction for my slow progress.

Moving is most generally agony from hell-hopefully you'll be set up by the hols, dte.

My group is now about lvl 13, T'rang aligned, scouring out the Northern Wilderness before heading back to turn in my flag and find out my next mission of doom. I killed the Marlon Brando-fixated Ratkin and got the uber ninja weapon, so I'm thinking of turning Vi into a ninja. Be a change for the girl. I'm really trying to move along, because I think my spouse has discovered Internet game shopping and I expect to see a certain Obsidian effort on Christmas morning.

Edit:Well, Vi can't use the weapon as she is not a fairy ninja. (Racism if you ask me. ) Now I see where this fairy ninja thing is coming from.

Onward & upward. :)

Last edited:
I think I mentioned very early on in the thread, the need for a FAIRY Ninja!! Lots of fun to keep alive!! :)

Wow, now I'm tempted to join the Wizardry 8 race and give this a go again. I've never even been out of the monastery! :blush: But at the same time, I'm trying to get Baldur's Gate II finished finally and I still have Planescape: Torment to go through, not bad players in the RPG hall of the greats by any means neither. *sigh*

I had been wanting to try my hand at Arcanum and Temple of Elemental Evil, too. Where does it stop? Where does it stop!?

Hahaha, know what you mean!! I'm tempted too, to play it for a 3rd time, but I still haven't finished either NWN2, or G3!! I'm very slow and thorough!! Why do 2 good games have to be released at nearly the same time!!!!

@Cormac-
-Iz not a race, so don't worry. The game is meant to be a long experience anyway.
-The designers' plan was for your party to be around level 7 when you reach Arnika, so you're right on target. Part of the reason the Road is such a beast is that they needed tougher critters to supply enough XP for the progression.
-Assume you're casting in the green, or at worst the yellow? A good book score helps, but it's really the realm score that drives your success percentages.

@magerette
-Generally, switiching classes doesn't pan out well. There's a couple powergaming techniques that rely on class switches, but that's intended for specific purposes. Of course with a grubby one-eyed RPC, who really cares... ;)

@Thaurin- It's calling yer name. Hear the Wiz8. Be one with the Wiz8.

DSL box showed up yesterday. Don't think Mrs dte will let me get away with skipping all the other boxes to unload my mistress (as the Mrs refers to the PC), particularly with my parents coming for a holiday visit to the new house Friday thru Sunday.

dte, good to hear I'm ok for level progression. I am going slow, though: I've spent quite some time mucking about the monastery, trying to discover secret stuff and such, even after I'd mapped it all and had spoken with the cosmc lords emissary (forget his name).
As for my bishop's spell failures: yes, I cast in the green and yellow; but I usually spend my points in the books -- divinity, wizardry, etc. -- and not the individual realms. So I guess that's the problem. Thanks.

You want to spend more of your points in the books more than the realms, just as you are doing. With a bishop, I pick 2 books to emphasize (which ones depends on party build) and dump the final 3 points into a realm that needs a kick. That's not the optimal way to use the points (any self-respecting powergamer would probably have a conniption over the waste), but it's worked well for me.

Use your buff spells to help build up the realms thru use. For example, when I prep to go out from my "base", I follow this pattern:
Cast light, level 7 until successful.
rest until spell points topped out.
cast other buffs in yellow range-if any of them fails too many times (your judgement), return to step one.
Go kill things.

Crap ... the disks are now out of my storage box and into my bag ... maybe install tonight ... hate you people ;)

dte, that's pretty much what I've been doing with my bishop when it comes to spending points. You know, I dont powergame, and I have very little self-respect, but I should perhaps practice my magick tricks more often instead of going off gallivanting with rats all the time. Of course I do have Light and Enchanted Blades on all the time but that's all: Bless is of so short duration that I only cast it when I'm about to enter combat -- or, since I'm slow of mind and body, when I'm already engaged.

Also, would it be too much asking for this thread to remain as spoiler-free as possible ? Unless, of course, I specifically ask for a spoiler, in which case you'd answer promptly. Thank you.

Fear not for yer mind and body, for bless can only be cast during combat. By the time bless actually does much good, you'll have better spells for your bishop to cast anyway.

Missle shield and magic screen are nearly necessities and they can be cast outside of combat. Get them. Cast them. Revel in the magical cocoon. IIRC, there are 10 buffs that can be cast outside of combat. I regularly use 5 of them as quickly as I can get them.

We'll do our best on the spoiler thing. Don't know if the spoiler code hack we had at the Dot has been implemented here. That might be helpful for this issue. Corwin/Dhruin/Jazzy/Myrthos? Are everyone's progress reports too much foreshadowing for your liking, or are you aiming at more blatant "how to" spoilers?

@mike- BWA HA HA! Cue Queen! Sing it with me, everyone! bum, bum, bump...Another one bites the dust...

Back
Top Bottom