Ultima 7 Part 1 - The Black Gate - Richard Garriott Interview @ Crispy Gamer

woges

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
First part of RG interview up at Crispy with lots of Ultima talk.
Frankly, Ultima I, II and III weren’t related to each other at all, in the sense that their stories weren’t connected. Ultima IV, V and VI were only related to each other in that I kind of realized that the series was going to go on for awhile, so I tried to pick up where I left off with each game.
Ultima VII (for me, the most important moment for the series since Ultima IV) was the first time I really sat down and said, “OK, what am I really trying to accomplish with this game?” I was trying to do things like set up stories and characters that would survive for more than one product. I had seen how people were reading into the philosophy I had put together with Ultima IV, V and VI, and so I was trying to — what you describe as “tearing down” — open it up, and say there are lots of other forms of thought that are either just as good or positive, or that might also seem good or positive but are actually quite dark. So I was trying to drive what I call alternatives.
Ultima IV, Ultima VII and Ultima Online are my favorites. And for me, the reason why VII that was true for was because it was a game where I most completely realized the virtual world I was trying to create. In other words, the depth of interaction and responsiveness of the world it played in.
More information.

Interesting, as always to read Lord British's interview, but I've pretty much heard all about Ultima VII hundreds of times. There is also lot of interesting interviews with Richard Garriot in YouTube.

I find it interesting that this can be seen as some kind of promotion:

This interview is a companion piece to The Black Gate Murders, an alternate playthrough of Ultima VII: The Black Gate that involves killing everyone in the game.

To me, it looks as if they had done these interviews in order to get more attention for their walkthrough.

A walkthrough which involved killing everyone.

Nice.

Absolutely no new information in that interview. At least if you already know a bit about the background of the Ultima games.

I wish RG would talk more about Ultima VIII and Ultima IX, but I guess he won't because that's when the series went downhill.

Absolutely no new information in that interview. At least if you already know a bit about the background of the Ultima games.

I wish RG would talk more about Ultima VIII and Ultima IX, but I guess he won't because that's when the series went downhill.

And that's pretty much when EA took the "reins" in their hands over Origin.

Though I still like Ultima VIII: Pagan, because there is some unique ideas there and wonderful distinctive music.

I do not want to get into the same old discussion again. Let me say that while I think that EA did not do the series good at all, some failures were simply bad choices made by RG and the other designers. I would rather have a shorter U8 than an U8 with all the filler dungeons.

As for U9, it is even worse. No bad treatment by EA can excuse the plot (EA wouldn't have cared about plot changes).

One theme to every RG interview dealing with The Ultima series is "Virtual World". It was great he concentrated on it with SP games before the technology became available to have MMOs, but once it became available he ditched SP in favor of MMO. I never did like that about him. To me he basically said "See ya" to his core fans in favor of the shiny new technology.

It worked out for him in the end I guess, because UO was a big hit. It didn't work out so well for us though. We got Ultima IX.

I do not want to get into the same old discussion again. Let me say that while I think that EA did not do the series good at all, some failures were simply bad choices made by RG and the other designers. I would rather have a shorter U8 than an U8 with all the filler dungeons.

As for U9, it is even worse. No bad treatment by EA can excuse the plot (EA wouldn't have cared about plot changes).

I liked U8 (but didn't finish it), U9 was terrible IMO, but I can't make up my mind whether it's a bad game or just a bad Ultima.

BTW, "Grandor Dragon". You're a member of Ultima Dragons? - I found a Grandor Dragon on the roster.

I liked U8 (but didn't finish it), U9 was terrible IMO, but I can't make up my mind whether it's a bad game or just a bad Ultima.

Both, if you ever finished Ultima 8 then you know you were supposed to go to the homeworld of The Guardian. The preview looked awsome at the end of the game. I still remember it and it's been at least 10 years since I finished it. Too bad they decided to stuff that ending and go with their OLOI/IOLO/twisting the meaning of the Virtues AGAIN.

Gameplay because of the damn bugs. After about the 20th crash when casting a fireball I gave up. My avatar will never ascend. He is forever in limbo unless Corwin and his great team decide to redo Ultima 9 with their engine. Hopefully a "reimagining" of Ultima 9.

Now if someone could just reimagine a better ending to Ultima 9 and Battlestar Galactice then my two favorite series can finally be whole ;)

Yes, I am an Ultima Dragon since 1998 I think. I haven't played all the Ultimas, and have finished even fewer of them (Ultima 6-9, Ultima Underworld 2, Savage Empire and Martian Dreams). I used to be quite involved in the scene though. I have written some dialogues and one music track for the U5 remake using the Dungeon Siege engine, and worked on the German translation. Before, I was head of the U9 dialogue patch team. Ultima had a tremendous influence on me, though it is getting weaker over the years.

Yes, I am an Ultima Dragon since 1998 I think. I haven't played all the Ultimas, and have finished even fewer of them (Ultima 6-9, Ultima Underworld 2, Savage Empire and Martian Dreams). I used to be quite involved in the scene though. I have written some dialogues and one music track for the U5 remake using the Dungeon Siege engine, and worked on the German translation. Before, I was head of the U9 dialogue patch team. Ultima had a tremendous influence on me, though it is getting weaker over the years.

That was YOU. Dude a MAJOR thank you for all your efforts on the dialogue patch. I used that on my last playthrough and it improved the game tremendously. Still was a bad game, but at least it tried to make sense out of things. Unfortuantly I never even saw more than half of your improvements because of the bugs in the game. Still my hats off to you for all your hard work.

The U9 fan project will have nothing to do with Ascension. I am looking forward to it.

U9 is an okay game with a beautifully designed 3D world. Unfortunately the world is small, the code was buggy, and the gameplay was severely flawed. For example, none of the attacks you learn actually make additional damage. We were trying to fix this (as well as the laughable falling damage and the loot lists), but that project never got finished. It is a pity, since we were proud of our loot lists. Animals wouldn't drop gold anymore (they would drop meat instead), and the giant crabs had a very long loot list with a lot of surprises. We imagined them to eat random crap from the ground, so there were always chances of them dropping some very funny items.

Thank you for the kind words skavenhorde. We were a small team (three people), and while I did the most writing, I am not an English native speaker, so the others contributed a lot. They also contributed some great ideas. Maigo Dragon wrote all journal entries, which turned out great. He now works for Square Enix.

Which U9 fan project are you talking about? The one in the Oblivian engine (IIRC)? Personally, I'd much rather see one that reintroduces party based adventuring.

Thank you for the kind words skavenhorde. We were a small team (three people), and while I did the most writing, I am not an English native speaker, so the others contributed a lot. They also contributed some great ideas. Maigo Dragon wrote all journal entries, which turned out great. He now works for Square Enix.

Could of fooled me that your not an native English speaker. The writing was great and the journal entries were a huge improvement. Glad to hear that you both are doing well. I see from your profile your going for your PHD and Maigo is in the biz now. Hope it works out for you both.

Anyways, thanks again. One question: When I installed the dialogue changes it came with an economy fix as well. Was that your team as well?

No, that was someone else going by the name of Novum Dragon. Unfortunately none of us could dig too deep into the code, otherwise we could have done more. All changes, even to the dialogues, were rather superficial. For example, we couldn't change the branching of the dialogue trees, which posed quite a challenge since the new content needed to fit into the pre-existing trees.

For our later plans we had some very professional help. The later patch would also have included a full rewrite into "Ultima"-Elizabethan English (Maigo was working on that). But as I said, we all ran out of steam at some point. Ultima IX was not *such* a great game that it deserved even more of our energy, I guess.

Which U9 fan project are you talking about? The one in the Oblivian engine (IIRC)? Personally, I'd much rather see one that reintroduces party based adventuring.

It will use the Morrowind engine, which allows some limited party based gameplay:
http://www.cfkasper.de/ultima/

I don't know if it's going to have a party, though. Still, I hope it gets finished. I would definitely like to see what the team came up with.

I'll have to dust of my old copy of Morrowind for this U9 remake. Aside from the U5 remake with the Dungeon Siege engine, I thought all the ultima remakes were dead at this point.

In the FAQ of the U9R website it states that they expected U9R to be finished in 2006... hopefully now that it's 3 years later they are almost done as I look forward to playing this.

The U6 Project has just released Milestone 6 and we expect to have the final version ready for release by the end of this year. It too uses the DS engine and it's bigger than Lazarus. While there are still some side quests, etc yet to implement and there's a need for more polish and minor bug fixing, the game is now virtually playable from beginning to end. We've added several new quests which weren't in the original and tried to complete some of those which were incomplete as well. Check out the News page for the relevant links!!

Sometimes I feel like the only person who liked U9. Granted I played it years after release with a patch and a pc that could run it, but hell, it was a precursor to the Gothic series. I found the world well realized and the dungeons more thought out than most games these days. The fact that I can't really remember the story might say something, but I enjoyed tromping around in that game nevertheless.

Back
Top Bottom