Two Worlds II - Preview @ ITW

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Dilan sends word of this Two Worlds II preview at fansite Inside Two Worlds from last week and based on a visit to Zuxxez' offices. Here's a snip about quests, which is welcome (minor spoiliers):
Here is a small teaser for quests (Possible Spoiler Alert):
In Hatmandor the player has to stop a criminal syndicate and has to deal with the crime lord Mirage. The hero meets the cute waitress Reesa, who’s in fact the daughter of the ex crime lord of Hatmandor. Her family was brutally slaughtered by Mirage. If the hero decides to help Reesa to take revenge, you may find yourself in a romantic love story.
In New Ashos the hero is able to enter the death zone of the “Swallows”, he can bring down a popular professor who harasses and abuses his female students. Also you can start a scientific career at the University of New Ashos and hold a lecture over Werbeasts. Before you do that you actually have to do some research.
More information.

Books start with 15 pages and can go up to around 50-60 pages full of information. You can get information of people, of the land, of spells, of treasures and so on. Some books can give you new quests, some may lead you to old and hidden treasures, other books can grant you a new skill. So you should definitely read them. Quests found in books are possible to get from NPC’s too. But treasures, teleporter locations, skills or hidden locations can only be found in books.

that sounds kinda nice.

Also you can start a scientific career at the University of New Ashos and hold a lecture over Werbeasts. Before you do that you actually have to do some research.

that one too!

I was talking about polish in another thread. If Two Worlds comes out with solid translations, near AAA graphics, and very few bugs, it could be a challenger to the so-called AAA titles of North America. I'm really hoping for this. If a European rpg sold in the millions in the US and was still a deep roleplaying experience, maybe it'd wake up the genre. As of right now, the crpg is devolving instead of evolving. My 2¢.

I really hope they can pull it off, especially without spending so much time screwing their customers/fans.

My biggest frustration still lives, after 3 years of release, Did you know a fan STILL can't get the editor to make mods without having to jump through STUPID hoops? You ever wonder why there are not really many mods for this game, like Oblivion, Fallout 3 or Dragon Age? They have allowed one fansite, Inside Two Worlds have sole possession?… ownership?… download. Not only do you have to register, you have to submit to some STUPID questions, then wait for them to decide if your worthy!

Apparently this is decided by your registration information (you know how important your individual character is when it comes to email addy names, right?) and the questions they ask. You know important STUFF…..like have you ever modded before, have you ever made a professional mod?

I haven't even gotten my registration email yet (No my spam filter didn't stop it) after two weeks, much less even get to the point of my apparent character qualifications (which I am sure to fail :p ) based on how I answered the most prestigious of questions ever asked outside of ordering from IHOP.

In this time, I have regestered at terra-arcanum, reinstalled and made a small mod for Arcanum.

Yay.. Good read, too. Looking forward to this one.

I was talking about polish in another thread. If Two Worlds comes out with solid translations, near AAA graphics, and very few bugs, it could be a challenger to the so-called AAA titles of North America. I'm really hoping for this. If a European rpg sold in the millions in the US and was still a deep roleplaying experience, maybe it'd wake up the genre. As of right now, the crpg is devolving instead of evolving. My 2¢.

I know you're probably wrapping it up with "translations" but, for me, the key is quality content. They've made a handful of mildly encouraging comments but this team shows few signs of being able to write interesting characters or a decent back story.

Yep, that's it in a crpgnut-shell. I hate companions as a general rule and I don't like to follow a book, but the dialogues in Two Worlds looks almost like one of Phonix's first posts. Somebody who has a basic grasp of English, but really doesn't know how to put the sentences together so that it makes sense to a native speaker. Phonix has improved exponentially, so I have high hopes for Two Worlds too :D The problem is as you've stated, Dhruin; the devs really don't sound very competent in the English language. Most gamers play in English, even if it's a second or third language for them, unless the game is written in their native tongue. You'd think they'd focus on getting it right.

The main quest in Two Worlds was laughable too. I don't demand much from the storyline, I'm a sandbox gamer, but man that was bad. The girl was kinda hot in a gothy way, but good grief those lines were atrocious.

The girl was kinda hot in a gothy way, but good grief those lines were atrocious.

That was your sister, shame on you.

I don't care about accents but "correct English" is necessary if you are going to create compelling content for english speaking audiences. I'm sure German Spanish, French and any other group would likewise appreciate good localisation. Interesting quests, memorable characters and a good story all significantly aided by quality writing. I can understand you might not appreciate the nuance of great English writing but it doesn't take a native speaker to know the main quest in TW was banal. They were even so stupid as to create a sex interest and then make her your sister - they had no idea how to construct a compelling narrative.

Astonishing, no one said English had to be perfect, just much better, just like the writing in any language. Hell, how hard is it to go grab a uni student writer or professor to write your damn story? Not at all, if you cared or treated your fans with any consideration.

Why? As stated like it or not many people are comfortable with English even if it's not their first language.

Currently.
You can actually mod your PC to be female now, they disabled the voice so you didn't have to hear male. Personally think they should have provided more choices than an Elf female face, something I had hoped to fix but clearly as I stated above either Inside Two Worlds or SouthPeak doesn't care enough about Two Worlds, to allow serious modding. It's pretty obvious most would rather have the choice of the sister, you know a twins separated story. ;)

I agree about the accents...as long as they're understandable. It'd be silly to make up an accent and 50% of your audience can't understand the speaking because of the accent. There have been games where one or more of the "supposedly" English-speaking actors had such a terrible accent that I had to turn subtitles on to understand what they were saying. This is not going to cut it.

Manuelle-"I speaka de Inglish veddy well. I lerned it from a book."

English accents do not sell , at least i can understand standard USAn (NOT Texan or Mid-Western) better because of movies, music etc (this is the case with other people as well ) .
About the "correct English" i understand how native speakers may feel but this isn't a problem for me , also different syntax can mix with the fantasy setting . Yoda 's way of speaking for example rules .
No argument about good story and characters , i hope those characters to be a bit out of the human/terran standards .

English accents do not sell , at least i can understand standard USAn (NOT Texan or Mid-Western) better because of movies, music etc (this is the case with other people as well ) .

Maybe you're misunderstanding the accents (or mean "western"), but the "midwestern" accent is considered the standard American accent — it's the accent used mostly in Television and movies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_American

Maybe you're misunderstanding the accents (or mean "western"), but the "midwestern" accent is considered the standard American accent — it's the accent used mostly in Television and movies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_American

I have no idea what standard American is , i have speak with people from Chicago without any problems but voice chatting with Indiana or Minnesota people wasn't very nice , not that i needed subtitles like talking to an Aussie .

Back
Top Bottom