Favorite character/progression and favorite combat system?

For me, like Dart, it's 3.5 DnD (with TDE a close second), and temple of elemental evil. Single character I would have to say dark messiah of might and magic, although I still have to play dark/demon souls and blade of severance.

Last edited:
Well, I can't really say what I like most - but I can say what I don't like :

It irritates me *ervery time* I play a game based on (A)D&D+ , it irritates me beyond BEEP that I can get a feat or a new ability only after 3 or so levels (?), and seem to be stuck with the same "strength" like forever. I'm very sure I play it wrong, because most people seem to like it, but to me it feels as if I have the same hitpoints & "strenth" / "power" throughout the whole game (BG, for example), and get only a few extra points via "a weapon +1".
I still wonder why it feels so "wrong" to me, and what I'm doing wrong there … I guess that I'm too much used to the character progression system of TDE …

What I like, however, is, when a character gets some "extras" during character progression he or she has not asked for … It always feels like a "nice surprise !" to me. ;)

Well, I can't really say what I like most - but I can say what I don't like :

It irritates me *ervery time* I play a game based on (A)D&D+ , it irritates me beyond BEEP that I can get a feat or a new ability only after 3 or so levels (?), and seem to be stuck with the same "strength" like forever. I'm very sure I play it wrong, because most people seem to like it, but to me it feels as if I have the same hitpoints & "strenth" / "power" throughout the whole game (BG, for example), and get only a few extra points via "a weapon +1".
I still wonder why it feels so "wrong" to me, and what I'm doing wrong there … I guess that I'm too much used to the character progression system of TDE …

What I like, however, is, when a character gets some "extras" during character progression he or she has not asked for … It always feels like a "nice surprise !" to me. ;)
It's because you're used to TDE. When I play TDE I really struggle trying to make sense of it all, when D&D is so easy to understand in my mind.
You gain power in D&D (let's talk about a fighter for example) not because your strength improves (it does, but only every few levels), but because you are more accurate (you do the same '5' damage, but you hit 6 times out of 10 instead of 5 times out of 10, so your damage output increased 20% for example), or you attack several times per round, or you gain abilities that make you more versatile, or harder to hit, or attack several enemies with one attack, etc. It's much more than just 'hits harder'.

Oh, thank you very much ! I never realized this accuracy thing ! I already noticed, though, that the number of possible attacks per round can increase.

I noziced my problem especially when I got kind of stuck during my last attempt of play-through in BG, when I had to hunt down a band of robbers (?) and I was only barely surviving each fight, despite me buying better weapons, better armor etc. ... Especially my ranged characters never hit as well as I thought they would, despite buying +1 arrows for them (which were costly !). Maybe I just specialöized too much in the wrong areas - not not enough where I should have. I have a very, very strong tendency to make "jack of all trades" characters !

Oh, thank you very much ! I never realized this accuracy thing ! I already noticed, though, that the number of possible attacks per round can increase.

I noziced my problem especially when I got kind of stuck during my last attempt of play-through in BG, when I had to hunt down a band of robbers (?) and I was only barely surviving each fight, despite me buying better weapons, better armor etc. … Especially my ranged characters never hit as well as I thought they would, despite buying +1 arrows for them (which were costly !). Maybe I just specialöized too much in the wrong areas - not not enough where I should have. I have a very, very strong tendency to make "jack of all trades" characters !

I haven't played BG in ages (like, 15 years or so), but in D&D you don't buy magic arrows so you can hit more often (they're too expensive and they disappear on use). You buy them mostly because some enemies are immune to normal weapons, so you need magic weapons or arrows to hit them.

In old D&D it's all about character creation. If you want to mostly use arrows, you need a good DEX, if I remember correctly, you needed more than 14 to get a bonus, higher the better, so have at least 16 and then pick a race that has bonus to DEX (like elf or I think halfling). Strength wouldn't help an archer (well there are some bows that can use the strength for extra damage, don't remember if BG had those).

Why is this thread in Off Topic?

Well, that explains a lot of my troubles with Archers ...

Best charcter system is any TDE game especially Drakensang. Single player character system would be Gothic.
Best party combat is Original Sin, and single player Risen with Gothic 2 a close second.

Best character system

Gurps; The original fallout was based on it and its a very flexible system when it comes to settings.

Single Combat System
Risen is the best for me for single player combat due to the customisation and the various ways of playing your character.

Best Party based Combat System
Baldurs Gate 2 hit the sweet spot for me and nothing has come close since except for Divinity Original Sin.

Back
Top Bottom