Do you appreciate a games music only after finishing it?

RPGfreak

Watcher
I often find myself searching for music of games ive used to play only to go like "wow this is amazing - how did i not notice this epicness in the game?"

Do you also appreciate a games OST only outside of the game, or you notice all of its nuances ingame?

Honestly, I don't enjoy the music during or after and always turn the music volume down to about 1/4.

I'd much rather just her the ambient sounds and dialogue.

Nope.....one of the first things I do in a game is disable sounds. Then, I make sure subtitles are enabled, fire up my stereo, and start the game. The last decent music I heard in a game was the Vampire one that had some Lacuna Coil in it.

If a game's got good music, it normally makes up a part of the total gameplay experience for me. I notice it and think it feels weird and slightly off if it's turned off at any point for whatever reason. I can't imagine playing Super Mario Bros. or Morrowind without their soundtracks. It's not just nostalgia, either. Shovel Knight's soundtrack perfectly captures the 8-bit, MegaMannish style and adds a lot to the flavor.

Personally, I think it's insane to ignore the impact that in-game music can have, but to each his own. :)

I couldn't imagine playing games like Gothic, Risen, Morrowind, Baldur's Gate, etc, without the music.

I do find that the default volume level is often too high though. I'll often set the slider at about 50% for music so it doesn't overpower the sound effects and speech.

I find music to be an integral part of both movies and games. I've heard people talk about how they turn it off when gaming, and that just boggles my mind.

I've got so many powerful memories of games that are directly related to music, and I simply can't comprehend how people can put themselves in a position where they can't enjoy that part of this hobby.

That said, to each his own.

GOT to have the music! I normally appreciate it in game but sometimes the game will get intense and I'll miss it.

I also really like it when games have a folder that I can dump music into and have it play or an easy way to mod in music. It doesn't make sense for most RPGs which want to play certain songs at certain points of the story but it works great for lots of strategy games. (Like having chocobo music play while I'm in Europa Universalis 4.)

Remember when game music was kept on tracks on the game install CD? You could switch out the CD and get different music to play! To this day, every time I hear certain songs by The Cranberries I think of Hexen. (Or, even further back, playing a Star Wars cassette tape through the Atari 800's tape drive while playing a game.)

Turning off the music in a game is like turning off color in a watercolor painting. Boggles my mind, but hey, if that's what you want to do, more power to you. I like to savor all aspects of music in games, and I find it just greatly helps my immersion level in a given game.

I have many fond memories of music in games, especially from my childhood. The right tune in a game like Final Fantasy or Chrono Trigger can turn a great moment into something legendary, otherworldly and deeply impactful.

I've never been a soundtrack person, either in movies or games. I don't turn off the music while I'm playing but it's never been a memorable part of the experience.

That said, I've really been appreciating the old Black Isle game soundtracks now that I have them thanks to GOG. I still don't listen to them for their own sake, but they're great at setting the mood to boardgames like Castle Ravenloft and Battlelore that I play with my kids now.

Music is actually one of the aspect I came to appreciate more in recent years. I think it really helps to build ambiance. I tend to turn off the music for games that doesn't do that though, for example, Diablo 3 or WoW.

But I just can't imagine most of RPGs without music!! All infinity engine games, I just cannot play them without music!! Love musics from BG2, IWD1, Skyrim, Dues Ex: HR, and Halo series :) I started to get really attached to DA:I main theme as well. Love the strings there (which I assume is cello??).

To me music is something that is nice to have in the background, if I notice it, it's too loud. Unless of course I enter a tavern and there's a troubadour there, then it's ok for it to be loud. Now, after I close the game don't ask me anything about the music. Nice to have, but totally accessory for me.

I find rpgs get it right more often than they get it wrong and I'll often keep the music on but lower than default. But back in the day when I was more of an FPS guy I would habitually turn off the music purely for immersion. You are staring first person into a world you want to get wrapped up in and my character has a personal electronic musician along for the ride (think Blazing Saddles). Shooting demons while my buddy Trent Reznor follows me around providing the industrial beats for all my kills. Sorry not for me. Epic rpgs on the other hand just seem more epic with the right music.

Well, in most games I forgot the music, because it is not good enough. There are some exceptions though:

Final Fantasy 6 ( Best music in any game ever )
Final Fantasy 7 ( Lots of great music here too )
PS Torment: Two great songs which I don't forget easily.
Star Wars Games: Well, that is the movie music but that music you'll never forget.
PS 1: Unforgettable intro team.

That's it though, considering how many games I've played it is kind of sad those are all I can remember and no other game is really close to FF 6, I still often whistle these tunes.

Absolutely yes.

Currently can't get enough of Raven's Cry soundtrack. Particulary this one (note to myself - this has to become my phone ringtone!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVCnkso1Ipc

Hilarious!
But I wouldn't sing it to my daughters as I did with the original tune when they where infants and awake during long nights.

OnT

Music is an integral part for me with games.
Some tracks I listen to years after I played the game.
eg. uncharted worlds from mass effect, some of the tracks from Deus Ex HR and so on.

C

Only after finishing it? No. During play and after completion? Absolutely. Listening is an integral learning sensation and a fundamental part of the gaming experience for me.
It helps draw you further into an atmosphere as well as assisting in conveying emotions to the player.

I have a respectable amount of gaming soundtracks from games that I like and subsequently enjoy being able to be transported back to those memories when listening to the tracks outside of the game. (The Skyrim and Divine Divinity soundtracks are great for long train travel for instance…)

A good case in point is that whilst playing Lords of Xulima at the moment, I find myself quite enjoying various themes - especially the "safe in town" tune, which is quite mellow, simple and relaxing. Hearing it outside of the game gives one the satisfied feeling of having a bit of a hard earned rest. ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqDUwFz88Tg

I actually pretty much only enjoy music when it's in a context, such as when played as background music in a game or a movie. Well made music can do a lot to set the tone for a scene, and it's often something that I notice.

Also, many games can end up feeling empty without music. If I have to turn off the music in EU4, then the whole game suffers.

I actually pretty much only enjoy music when it's in a context, such as when played as background music in a game or a movie. Well made music can do a lot to set the tone for a scene, and it's often something that I notice.

Also, many games can end up feeling empty without music. If I have to turn off the music in EU4, then the whole game suffers.

Sometimes what I do in EU4 is turn off the music, then head to youtube and run a long playlist of medieval music, like this one … https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL40979B7F41C0BD30
or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzFBbXVMjo8&list=PL300ED635DD0D37ED

Back
Top Bottom