Pillars of Eternity - Pax East Presentation

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Obsidian hosted a new live presentation for Pillars of Eternity at Pax East 2015 today. Usually I would link to the twitch stream, but I have a YouTube version instead.

Gameplay and presentation of Pillars of Eternity (Beta Version)From Pax East 03/07/15, with Chris Avellone, Adam Brennecke, Tim Cain, Josh Sawyer, Brandon Adler and Shane Defreest.
More information.

Last edited:
The Stronghold stuff looks awesome (and it's totally optional) as well as a good money sink. At this point, I think I'm going to make adventurers just to have "employees" at the Stronghold.

And I'm starting to think a Monk might be awesome (even before watching the video). Gah! Druid, Chanter or Monk as first character…3 weeks left to decide.

Started watched and then had a hard time stopping. This is looking fantastic, I've been trying not to get my hype up but….damn.

"It's no use, I need something stronger!"

There's that Paladin resolve... Apparently we're going to hear that every 2 mins for 150 hours.

Everything else looks great, tho.

Last edited:
"It's no use, I need something stronger!"

There's that Paladin resolve… Apparently we're going to hear that every 2 mins for 150 hours.

Everything else looks great, tho.

I believe that's a cue for her weapon being ineffective. In BG2, Minsc said something similar in that condition: "No effect?! I need a bigger sword!".

The interface looks pretty decent now. I like the Stronghold options as well, and the build time and defense vs. prestige trade off is a nice approach (depending on how useful the prestige will turn out to be).

The interface looks pretty decent now. I like the Stronghold options as well, and the build time and defense vs. prestige trade off is a nice approach (depending on how useful the prestige will turn out to be).

Prestige affect taxes collection and help to increase number of "good" random events. Security affect taxes collection and help to reduce the number of "bad" random events.

At least that is what the wiki says. A good event is like a merchant visiting with nice wares, a bad event could be thugs attacking the Stronghold and breaking things.

I was wondering about Patrick's character. Luckily a guy from the audience took the fall ;)

I was wondering, do (all) games these day embrace 5.1 surround sound ? The last decade art direction, presentation, sound etc. Have Become more important to me. However sounds always seem to take a back seat (e.g. in contrast to movies)

The Stronghold stuff looks awesome (and it's totally optional) as well as a good money sink. At this point, I think I'm going to make adventurers just to have "employees" at the Stronghold.

And I'm starting to think a Monk might be awesome (even before watching the video). Gah! Druid, Chanter or Monk as first character…3 weeks left to decide.
Why is Stronghold awesome? You like mindless clicking through bland lists where you only need some basic math to make any decisions?

To me it was most awful, bland and non-rpg thing shown. As someone said on Obsidian forums, like playing a crap online browser game like Travian.

Why is Stronghold awesome? You like mindless clicking through bland lists where you only need some basic math to make any decisions?

You mean like the store interface for just about every CRPG ever developed? Yeah, that's horrible. :p

cant wait for this, just finished bgee yesterday and now im on bg2ee so im in great shape for another of this genre :D

You mean like the store interface for just about every CRPG ever developed? Yeah, that's horrible. :p
So you just compared a supposedly complex thing like Stronghold with a simple store?
So I guess you agree with my point.

Mix of NWN2 and BG2, you know like it was supposed to be

Oh you mean the one where you held a conversation with the builder in NWN2 in which you picked the improvements you wanted to pay for? That's not an improvement. In fact it's almost same approach used in Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Skyrim. You're clicking on a character, picking from a menu, deducting some money, and your place has some stuff added. It's the same bloody thing, except this way you have an added consequence.

Looks nice. Really like the text-adventure stuff, like the guy with no athletics skill twisting his ankle taking a big jump.

Oh you mean the one where you held a conversation with the builder in NWN2 in which you picked the improvements you wanted to pay for? That's not an improvement. In fact it's almost same approach used in Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Skyrim. You're clicking on a character, picking from a menu, deducting some money, and your place has some stuff added. It's the same bloody thing, except this way you have an added consequence.
Even that is better than a ghostly menu from nowhere while your ghostly stronghold is in the background filled with nobody.

But mostly I was talking about interactions with visiting merchants and others that now you also deal with through that same list using only simple math. Pathetic.
In the meantime OE did say that those same people can be found in Main Hall and talk to directly and that makes it better. I just hope you get same options after actually talking to them and that the stronghold interface is not all you have.

Even that is better than a ghostly menu from nowhere while your ghostly stronghold is in the background filled with nobody.

But mostly I was talking about interactions with visiting merchants and others that now you also deal with through that same list using only simple math. Pathetic.
In the meantime OE did say that those same people can be found in Main Hall and talk to directly and that makes it better. I just hope you get same options after actually talking to them and that the stronghold interface is not all you have.

Agreed, to have both options sound best. An easy interface for when you just want it to go quickly, and actual NPC's for immersion.

This looks good. Has a very similar taste to BG and i'm wandering how i will feel playing a similar game after all these years, considering BG2 is my favourite rpg.

These last few years i find it hard to commit to an rpg game till the end.

Back
Top Bottom