Pillars of Eternity - Interview @ Red Bull

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
The people from Red Bull boosted their energy and present us an interview with Feargus Urquhart on paid mods, player choice and Pillars' place in the fantasy revival.

Fantasy as a genre has changed a lot since the PC RPG heyday. But while Pillars is about complexity and had the fortune (and guile) to launch its Kickstarter in September 2012, just a few months after the wrap of Game of Thrones season 2, it’s Lord of the Rings to which Urquhart says the team owes the most credit (particularly Peter Jackson, and “his belief in Lord of the Rings as not just something that the nerds love”). In fact, around eight years ago, Obsidian actually turned down the opportunity to do the first Game of Thrones RPG.

“I don’t know if the project would have ever happened,” says Urquhart, candidly, “but we were approached by a big publisher, and they had the Game of Thrones licence at the time. And I love Game of Thrones – it’s an incredibly rich story and world and obviously the characterisation is amazing. But, there’s a couple of things about it that are challenging if you want to make a roleplaying game.

“Part of it was very interesting to us because of the focus on characters, and that’s kind of what we do. But if you think about the world, it’s so much about the politics and it’s so much about the linear story of what’s going on. Then you tie that to magic playing a very little role, and to be honest, [the story is] mostly [about] people. There’s not a lot of standard role-playing fantasy things, [like] putting an adventuring party together and going to find the abandoned ruins full of zombies and witches and ghosts and spectres and ghouls and all that kind of stuff.

“My recommendation at the time was that it would make a better RTS [real-time strategy game], or something like an RTS. Again, a geopolitical, war simulation-type game.” (Something which, incidentally, now exists: in the form of this mod for medieval RTS Crusader Kings 2).
Thanks jhwisner and lostforever.

More information.

GoT might be an interesting RPG if you played it as a non-significant party of adventurers, rather than as a major player. You could, for example, be quested by the Lancasters or the Starks to resolve some festering issues.

GoT would be a better game as a monarchy simulator, where you can select and play a faction.

GoT would be a better game as a monarchy simulator, where you can select and play a faction.

That would be exactly what the link at the end of the quote points towards.

I could well imagine a Darklands sort of RPG in GRRM's setting, though, with a lot more going on dynamically in the background involving a set of powerful characters that the player's party would cross paths with occasionally, have to option of interacting with and have just a tiny bit of influence on.

I'd imagine a Castles 2 type of game where you are making decisions about nobles, religion, building and repairing castles and invading lands if you wish. Maybe should be a Total War type of game? Would prefer the focus to be on decision-making however.

Back
Top Bottom