Reinstalling Win XP

Ubereil

Keeper of the Watch
I've finally gotten around to reinstall windows on my old computer so my brother can use that one (I'm going to format the entire thing and install Win XP+ some security stuff and then hand it over to him to do what he wants with it). The problem is that every time I try to run the windows installer it says there are no HD's on the computer. The problem might be that my SATA unit isn't the default on the MoBo but rather a newly installed SATA card on said MoBo. But Windows XP is still working., it finds both my HD's and I've installed WinXP on this computer with this setup before. So any ideas what might be wrong or what I might do to fix this?

Übereil

You need a SATA driver for it on a floppy disk to put it in during the first stages of the install process.

You need a SATA driver for it on a floppy disk to put it in during the first stages of the install process.

Yeah, or slipstream it into the media with something like Nlite.
However, this is only required if AHCI or RAID is enabled in bios.
Like hishadow pointed out, just go to bios and disable AHCI / RAID.

I've combed the entire BIOS set up, looked in every menue but I can't find that many RAID/SATA related stuff. AHCI isn't in the BIOS. Thigs that might be related:

Enable/disable the OnChip SATA BOOTROM. Default is enabled. Disabling it didn't help.
Enable/disable the OnBoard Promise Control. Here you can choose the operating modes RAID and Onboard IDE Operat. Enabled with the IDE operat is default. Turning it off didn't work.

Disabling both didn't work either. So, I guess I'm making a floppy with the SATA drivers on it... :D

Edit: And that's when I remembered the box that came with the new SATA-board. When I opened it I found a disk containing the SATA driver... So, now it's working! Thanks guys. :)

Übereil

Last edited:
I can recommend the slipstream thing. It's quite easy and saves a lot of time because the latest service pack gets automatically integrated.

Use a floppy with the drivers, if you dont have a floppy just use nlite and add the ahci drivers to the windows.
________
Starliner

Last edited:
That's us, positively overflowing with helpfulness.

I run both and each has its own unique issues. I'm hoping/praying/trusting/etc that Win7 will be an improvement on both!! My son (an official beta tester) is quite impressed with it.

Back
Top Bottom