Diablo 3 - Why Fallout 1 Could be succesfull Today @ Pixelitis

Well M&M 1 was certainly very limited in the number of choices you had. For your fighter, you just hit attack over and over again.

I don't think that's the kind of choice CountChocula was referring to. I'm pretty sure he meant having choices that weren't related to just killing things.

I'm not sure what he means, but certainly Might and Magic had none of that, nor did many other classic old school RPGs.

I don't think that's the kind of choice CountChocula was referring to. I'm pretty sure he meant having choices that weren't related to just killing things.

I'm not sure what he means, but certainly Might and Magic had none of that, nor did many other classic old school RPGs.

I must have missed that he was referring only to the first game. I was thinking of the M&M series in general.

Once again it boils down to "A cRPG is what I say it is" and with ten of us arguing we come up with fifteen definitions somehow.

True dat. :)

Well I was the one who brought up M&M, not him.

This is off topic from our already off topic conversation, but did any of the M&M games have choices out of combat? I certainly don't remember any, but it has been a long time since I played them. Maybe there was one where you could pick a faction to join?

I must have missed that he was referring only to the first game. I was thinking of the M&M series in general.

This is off topic from our already off topic conversation, but did any of the M&M games have choices out of combat? I certainly don't remember any, but it has been a long time since I played them. Maybe there was one where you could pick a faction to join?

I'm pretty sure all the later titles had some choices that weren't combat related. As far as joining a faction though, the closest thing would probably be having to choose your party's alignment halfway through M&M 7 - which significantly effects your party options from that point as well as the way the game ends.

Ah yes, alignment, that was what I was thinking of. It mostly effected your combat choices, but yeah it did effect whether you got ending #1 or ending #2.

I'm pretty sure all the later titles had some choices that weren't combat related. As far as joining a faction though, the closest thing would probably be having to choose your party's alignment halfway through M&M 7 - which significantly effects your party options from that point as well as the way the game ends.

It also affects quests, spells, and class promotions. As well as determining if certain areas will be hostile to your party. It was definitely significant beyond just the endings.

When I increase my fighter´s mace skill by 1 during a level up, I roleplay.

Well spells and class promotions were just combat related choices. But yeah, I remember now, it was a choice between story #1 and story #2, not just ending #1 or ending #2.

It also affects quests, spells, and class promotions. As well as determining if certain areas will be hostile to your party. It was definitely significant beyond just the endings.

Well spells and class promotions were just combat related choices. But yeah, I remember now, it was a choice between story #1 and story #2, not just ending #1 or ending #2.

No, it's more than that. Not all spells and/or skills are combat related in M&M. We're not talking about Diablo. ;)

Interesting that you would suddenly switch to M&M IX when we were talking about VI. Regardless, that doesn't say anything about the skills.

Anyways, I'm done dragging this thread off topic. I'll be more than happy to continue this discussion if you want to create a thread in the general RPG section.

Technically we were talking about VII, that was the one with good and evil choices (6 had no choices at all). It was just easier to find spell lists for 9. But I did manage to look up the difference between good and evil characters in 7, and they are all purely combat related.

But I agree, we've spent enough time talking about this, I don't think there is that much need to continue it.

Interesting that you would suddenly switch to M&M IX when we were talking about VI. Regardless, that doesn't say anything about the skills.

Anyways, I'm done dragging this thread off topic. I'll be more than happy to continue this discussion if you want to create a thread in the general RPG section.

That was a typo, I obviously meant VII.

I also thought we were talking about choice in the game in general, not just character development, but if that's what you wish to claim then that's fine.

Well you were the one who used getting different spells based on your choice of good/evil as an example of non combat choices. But seriously, it's not like we disagree that much about the main point of all of this. I was asking about non combat options in M&M because I was curious, and nostalgic about a series I used to enjoy, not to start a fight. And your right, there are a few more things there then I rembered. So we can just leave it at that.

That was typo, I obviously meant VII.

I also thought we were talking about choice in the game in general, not just characters, but if that's what you wish to claim then that's fine.

Well you do get different spells based on your choice of good/evil, I just couldn't remember which ones. I guess I should have broken out my strategy guide to check first. It's really a moot point though because the non-combat skills still exist in the game regardless of your alignment choice.

Anyways, I didn't mean to seem so argumentative there. I think it was probably a poor idea for us to try to compare two games that are so different.

I read that in the Ishar games sometimes group members disagreed on - for example - helping other group members.

The game that comes imho closest to pen & paper role-playing is imho the NLT - the "Realms Of Arcania" games.

Back
Top Bottom