The Witcher - 2nd Sapkowski Book for English Readers

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Not directly game related but the official Witcher site has news that Gollancz will be publishing Sapkowski's Blood of the Elves in English this September:
After a very positive reception of the first collection of short stories created by Andrzej Sapkowski "The Last Wish", we are very happy to inform, that another part of A. Sapkowski's prose is announced to be released in September. The first part of The Witcher Saga - "Blood of the Elves" translated by Danuta Stok - will be published, the same as with "The Last Wish", by Gollancz publishing house.
More information.

Great news. If Danuta Stok have done the translation right, you will be pleased. The beginning of the book, the scene with Dendalion singing about great deeds of Geralt the White Wolf, is just hilarious :)

I'm looking forward to this for sure. In my opinion (mind you, English is not native to me) the first book had some rough spots translation wise but not something that ruined the experience for me. I'm not all that into short stories but I think was a good way to introduce Geralt to people only knowing him from the game. Also you'll pick up on a lot of references in the game.

Strange startegy. Publihing 1st part of the saga, without translating the 2nd piece of short stories first ("The sword of destiny"). It's not right because of 2 reasons: Stories would make the saga a better and more understandable read - e.g. the Ciri character, crutial for the whole saga, first appears in "The sword of destiny". Second, in Poland it is rather widely admitted that short stories of the Witcher are better, more perfectly written than the saga.
On the other hand - I heard that traslation of "The Last Wish" was so, so. Maybe it's better to save more short stories for last, when the translator will change or earn more money per page ;)

it's a pity that they haven't decided to translate the second vol. o short stories, "Sword of Destination". Without them you never really know how Gerlat got to know Ciri, and hat happened between him and Yennefer

Great news ... looking forward to this!

Havent read any of the books, I thought they were all out of print... huh.

Havent read any of the books, I thought they were all out of print... huh.

The first one isn't out in paperback in the US until May, according to Amazon.

The first one isn't out in paperback in the US until May, according to Amazon.

Ahh cool. The plan was to read them before playing the game. But the story seems to be good so I'll read them as soon as they are available. I just hope they are better than the fantasy books based in the D&D world. I didn't like those at all.

they're like Tarantino doing fantasy, postmodernist fantasy fairy tales

Back
Top Bottom