NWN2 Finished NWN 2 OC (again)

Neverwinter Nights 2
Hey Deekin was one of the coolest NPC joining the party I ever seen. About One of Many (well I mean the NPC in MotB) I found it quite cool too when I replay MotB trying the evil path. That said I give up because:
  • I was bored lost energy during fights just because a team member do the final blow instead my character does it so I get zero energy.
  • At some point I gave up a little and become bellow evil and good and obviously lost some evil path option at some point. That was too much and I gave up the replay.
I think that MotB evil path would require a bit more polishing for the energy management. Still a great game.

The OC is also quite good stuff, MotB is just better.

Hey Deekin was one of the coolest NPC joining the party I ever seen. About One of Many (well I mean the NPC in MotB) I found it quite cool too when I replay MotB trying the evil path.

I think that MotB evil path would require a bit more polishing for the energy management. Still a great game.

The OC is also quite good stuff, MotB is just better.

I have to say, Nwn2 and the OC were stupendous. I really loved them. MotB was even better. At first I was put off by the spirit eater curse, but after I got the "Satiate" feat, I was pretty much able to disregard it entirely. All I had to do after that was time the use of Satiate to be within 6 Spirit points of 0. I did miss that one time (ouch), but for the most part, the spirit eater curse was just an interesting diversion and a welcome advantage.

It would have been interesting to see a possible romance with Kaelyn, who was a fascinating character. The OC had the advantage of a more developed love interest with Elanee, who displayed more jealousy and other romance related emotions. The thing with Safiya was rather sudden, and right at the end, with not much in the way of romantic development. But that's the way things work sometimes. It wasn't a biggie with me, but some others on the bioware forums were critical of it.

One problem is that the developers and writers just do not have an infinite amount of time to create and integrate all this into a finished product, within a financially dictated timeline.

Last edited:
One problem is that the developers and writers just do not have an infinite amount of time to create and integrate all this into a finished product, within a financially dictated timeline.

I agree with your other points so I don't quote them, but for this point if I totally understand this and clearly any game has to confront this problem. But I also disagree a little because I think, like GothicBis..ness :p wrote once, when CRPG design focus will also be put on writers and writing quality as a major goal?

Movies business put focus on this quite soon and without to have a confusion between movie scenario writers and novel writers. That's the hard part of it, you need great writers but can't just pickup among the mass of excellent to great novels writers, that will just not work.

There's a same problem for CRPG but even more complicate than for movies. With movies it's still about writing a story, just in a different way that when writing a novel or more precisely a short novel. For CRPG that's much more complicated. Parallelism and parallel alternatives don't match well the human mind. More over, as I tried to explain in another topic, you cannot build alternatives in a CRPG with some freedom without to build independent story parts. That means that the CRPG isn't only a main story with alternatives but also a set of independent stories with soft links between them and their alternatives should have no or few influences on the soft links (otherwise it becomes too complicate to any human mind).

Ha well, all of that is quite obvious but I wanted put that in a series of words. :) To make clear, even if obvious, that writing is the core of CRPG but quite complicate in comparison to any other writing.

I mentioned in another topic the possibility of a tool to help manage that, only at a design point of view such tool would be great, a tool for helping writers and feeble human mind when it's about parallels and alternatives.

But well even if no tool like that exists, CRPG should still put focus on writers. And there's a small possibility that The Witcher will change few things. But also in credits, writers should be quite close to first place in any CRPG, I haven't quote that in The Witcher.

Back
Top Bottom