Risen - No DRM

Is this confirmed? I wasn't aware that Daemon Tools installed a rootkit. Do you have any links to more info on that?

Essentially yes, but people argue the definitions. SysInternals (who make some nice utility software and know their stuff) posted a piece about it...Daemon Tools argue it doesn't count.

This thread has links and discussion.

I find this quote humorous:

We use rootkits to protect a) our own intellectual property, and b) the property of our customers and users they paid a lot money for, and have a right to use it even with Daemon Tools installed.

...sound a bit like something SecureRom might say?

I guess they use it because they need to hide from the secuRom checks,, if secuRom could find it it would refuse to start your game...... o the irony....

Well I guess I can't complain though, I've never experienced a single problem with Daemon tools, nor has it ever conflicted with anything else in my system.

Rootkits are not inherently bad, it should be noted, any more than activeX controls or javascript is inherently bad or inherently cause instability. Their use by SonyDADC (SecuROM) on audio CDs gave them a bad name as that was a horrendously poor implementation in terms of being insecure, overkill and the DRM code being poorly written, but they can be used by perfectly legitimate software without problems. IIRC Zonealarm uses one as well, to stop itself being uninstalled by malware.

I guess they use it because they need to hide from the secuRom checks,, if secuRom could find it it would refuse to start your game...... o the irony....
Exactly.

Then why aren't you doing the job instead of the current people who are at the top of the business decisions in these companies?
Good question, because I really could do a better job. It's often a question I ask of our own CEO here. If you've seen the US version of The Office TV show then you'll have some idea why inappropriate people are often promoted to jobs well outside their understanding or abilities.

Back
Top Bottom