Bioshock - Reviews @ Eurogamer, Games Radar

Well, judging by the short demo the game is nothing but a shooter -- but what a shooter. The only thing that annoyed me is respawning after death in one of the vault (can't recall how they're called exactly), and finding the enemy waiting for me on the other side of the glass-door. Aren't there rules against camping respawn points ? WTF ? But I'm sure the full game won't have this sort of issue, as it won't be limited to the demo's constrained location.
I have to say, until I tried the demo I had little interest in the game. Now I might actually get it -- the Xbox version though, as my PC couldn't handle the thing.

And hacking is hard.

There are a few reasons why game prices are high in Australia. The primary one (at least, based on my experience from a few years back from retailing software) is that Australian distributors buy at essentially the same wholesale price as major US retailers. In other words, 2K Games wants ~US$36 (or thereabouts - I don't exactly, of course) wholesale. Walmart can just add their margin but down here, the Aussie distie needs to add their margin and then sell it on to retail.

Don't forget we always include all taxes - none of this silly +VAT / GST / Sales tax.

And yes, Gorath, I import nearly all my games. The only game I have bought locally for years was Oblivion, because they were prepared to break the street date by nearly a week. I was just about the organise Bioshock from GAME in the UK when I found out it was on Steam. So, Steamy it is.

Yeah, actually I almost regret my preorder now. Steam would have saved me only about $12 but as far as I can see, it would have let me play the game 3 days sooner. How big is the download? It irritates me that Steam doesn't tell you that in advance.

Edit: it does tell me that I need 8GB of free HDD space, which is a decent indicator. That'd be 80% of my monthly download I think, so probably best buying it from EB.

Hmm the dollar has dropped below 80 cents as a result of the stock market taking a dive, so buying it on Steam would cost me around $63 now. Oh well, maybe these economic woes will at least serve to weaken Howard's economic credentials.

I import all books and DVDs from New Zealand and other places, somehow it's cheaper than walking down to the local stores. Games, after time and shipping work out about the same or wth negliable savings.

Steam would be cheaper. But I ended up passing the download cap within the first week of last month because of download stuff off it. I do not want to go back to dialup speeds for three weeks ever again. Mayhaps when it's near the end of the month and it will not matter as much...

Back
Top Bottom