Dragon Age 2 - Hi-Res Texture Pack

waaaaaa waaaaaaa. Maybe this site should stop posting Bioware-related news, people just seem to whine about everything.

Bunch of whiners here. At least the ones posting comments in DA threads.

I thought graphics were unimportant to an RPG? Make up your minds what you want to whine about. I for one will be playing this without the hi res graphics, and I don't care.

Heads up from the Bioware forum from people who are playing already... seems you NEED the latest beta drivers from nVidia, any others run like crap with high-end effects turned on in DA2.

Heads up from the Bioware forum from people who are playing already… seems you NEED the latest beta drivers from nVidia, any others run like crap with high-end effects turned on in DA2.
Yep, that's what the patch notes for the beta from NVIDIA seemed to indicate. I hope they get the WHQL stamp of approval and toss out official drivers in the next few hours.

1 meg of video memory made my eyes pop! It's about time!! I guess the Crysis crying didn't completely poison the future of computer graphics. Now where's my 64-bit version and 3D pointer??

Edit: Launch trailer video at: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-launch-dragon-age/711123

Last edited:
If I were buying DA2, I'd have the requisite video card, but 1024mb is *still* pretty extreme. Wonder just how better-looking the over-the-top blood splatters will be… lol.

So let me get this straight if you dont have a new video card you cant use high settings wouldn't that alienate more than half the user base. According to steam statics mot pc users are still using older graphic cards.

I hear ya, but I suppose you have the choice of going console, if you have one of course! Looks to me that Bioware is "stearing" the fans to the consoles. The console version of DA II is probably bettter looking than the PC without the graphics patch. If you are fortunate enough to have a high-end rig, then I guess we are to expected to thank Bioware for "thinking" of us by providing the Hi-Res download…

Firt of all I can play on the highest setting on every game even crysis at max. Now dragon age 2 based on the demo is not huge on the graphics it shouldnt need a gtx 460 or higher just to use high visual setting.DragonAge and Masseffect ran on the highest settings for me with no problems and I use a GTX 275.

And just to repeat my point it I dont see DragonAge 2 having the best graphics its bascially a modified version of the dragonage engine. Whatever go ahead and pick the post apart as much as you want as you always do.

I'll sit and whine you bunch of elitist..

Last edited:
Firt of all I can play on the highest setting on every game even crysis at max. Now dragon age 2 based on the demo is not huge on the graphics it shouldnt need a gtx 460 or higher just to use high visual setting.DragonAge and Masseffect ran on the highest settings for me with no problems and I use a GTX 275.

And just to repeat my point it I dont see DragonAge 2 having the best graphics its bascially a modified version of the dragonage engine. Whatever go ahead and pick the post apart as much as you want as you always do.

Just because it has an animated look does not mean it isn't using a lot of tech though. The DX11 effects require a lot of processing power and high-res textures are high-res textures.

Im confused as to what your mad about. I assume your mad because your video card won't run the patch.the cards 2 yrs old which is several lifetimes in videocard yrs.hardly see how that makes any of us elitists

I might have missed all the inevitible complaints... but why is no one talking about the midnight fail? Do we all live in PST zone??? Hm.

On topic, though -- the hi-res pack sounds just fine.

Still pissed about the midnight fail, man.

I might have missed all the inevitible complaints… but why is no one talking about the midnight fail? Do we all live in PST zone??? Hm.

On topic, though — the hi-res pack sounds just fine.

Still pissed about the midnight fail, man.

What is the "midnight fail" that you are referring to?

Most companies prioritize America for games like this and we don't have bandwith caps (yet).

Not saying that is fair really, but it's what they do. I would guess the alternative is not getting them at all though, so you won't see me complaining.

Well, most companies also include all the texture packs that are supposed to ship with the game. I think this was poor planning, and rather than delay for 2 weeks and ship everything, they just decided to do this. And you do need this - otherwise why play on the PC? The graphics I saw in the demo were sub-par, imho. And letting them of the hook (i.e. we should be grateful) just encourages more slipshod behavior in the future.

I can understand that it is annoying to have to download a large patch so early on, especially for people with slow/capped internet access. Nevertheless I appreciate that Bioware provided that option at all - it will doubtlessly net them a bunch of whining from the console crowd about the PC looking so much better. For me personally its not relevant atm as I do not have a DX11 card. And also because I don't plan to get the game anytime soon, of course.

A general comment regarding badwidtth: Not only is digital distribution becoming more and more important, but I believe It won't be long before a lot of games require always on internet connections, and will keep a large portion of their assets and processing serverside for streaming. Mostly for piracy control reasons. It may be the only way to keep AAA gaming on the PC alive, so I'm actually all for it (in addition it may allow for interesting experiments with dynamic content). High bandwitdth will become a gaming necessity sooner or later. I think in most parts of the world the bandwidth situation is rapidly improving, but doubtless this will inconvenience a number of people for some time.

Well, most companies also include all the texture packs that are supposed to ship with the game. I think this was poor planning, and rather than delay for 2 weeks and ship everything, they just decided to do this. And you do need this - otherwise why play on the PC? The graphics I saw in the demo were sub-par, imho. And letting them of the hook (i.e. we should be grateful) just encourages more slipshod behavior in the future.

I would very much prefer a 1GB patch on day one than a 2 week delay.

I don't see the problem with this, to be honest.

They're offering a high-res texture pack on release - and you can either take it or leave it.

Obviously, they're going to focus on getting the game out the door - and the PC audience is not a priority for them.

But at least they've made the effort and made it available, which is a good thing.

Too many developers ignore the PC when doing multiplatform titles.

That said, I think they should have probably made two versions available. This seems like a single huge jump from the release content. Why not let more people in, by having a less detailed pack available as an alternative?

But modders will likely do that, so it's no big thing.

I'm not objecting to the fact that they released it - they *had* to, its a missing part of the game - but that my gaming experience would be negatively impacted if I don't download it. I have never had to download an additional missing part of any game I have purchased, so this would be a first…

I have made this bandwidth point several times about other games with large patches, so this is not just aimed at Bioware. To put this in perspective: I have a 3 GB *monthly* cap and a 384 kb/s connection (still considered 'broadband' here, - what a joke) for which I'm pretty sure I still pay several times more than most people in developed countries with their (effectively uncapped) 4-10+ Mb/s lines. Things are changing slowly, but a decent connection still costs a ludicrous amount here, as I'm sure it does in other 'less developed' countries.

Last edited:
The thing that bothers me about the "day One HiRes patch that couldn't be put on the retail disc"... is that it just screams "rushed game".

Indeed this is what really worries me about Dragon Age II, not the "Mass Effectisation" of it, but the fear this might just a very rushed game and suffers from this.

-Sergorn

@ Segorn - that thought crossed my mind too. Its not even a day 1 bug release - they simply didn't get their act together in time to imclude it. Now it seems there are severe perf issues with Nvidia cards too - usually companies work closely with the big vendors well before game release to iron out these issues. More rushing?

@ Segorn - that thought crossed my mind too. Its not even a day 1 bug release - they simply didn't get their act together in time to imclude it. Now it seems there are severe perf issues with Nvidia cards too - usually companies work closely with the big vendors well before game release to iron out these issues. More rushing?

On the nVidia issue: I'm not certain in Bioware is rushing or if nVidia is just slow. Although they make good hardware (recently bought a new card) they aren't really the fastest with regards to drivers. And of course Microsoft isn't really fast with their WHQL certification. Not that I care, I'll just use beta drivers when I have to. They work just as well as the WHQL certifed ones.

If I were buying DA2, I'd have the requisite video card, but 1024mb is *still* pretty extreme. Wonder just how better-looking the over-the-top blood splatters will be… lol.

This is exaggarated, for high at least and a bit misleading. For HIGH, GF9600 GT with 512 mb vram gave me 45-50 fps LOWEST and everything was smooth. For very high i guess 1 gb it's a must.

EDIT: To be more precise, HIGH with AAx2 and a resolution of 1280x800 ;)

Back
Top Bottom