Wasteland 2 - Enemy Movement Bug

WTF? How does his comment prove that RTwP is better lol?!

Don't feed the Troll. ;)

I would also like to mention that Chiens post is a bit absurd, since AI mistakes has absolutely NOTHING to to with what kind of combat system is used. But I won't mention that, since I'm not allowed to feed trolls either...

The movement bug is much rarer than I think people think it is. It only happens if an AI with a gun starts so far away that he can't attack or move to position within attack range in a single turn. It's identifiable if an enemy with a gun you probably couldn't even see through the FOW walks all the way to your player and then ends it's turn. If the enemy has a melee weapon or shoots it's gun that turn, it's not the bug just it's normal movement range.

NPCs and properly spec'd PCs can move quite far, from 1 to 3 grid squares per action point in combat. 3 squares per AP * 10 AP means that enemy can move 30 squares, which is nearly 50 meters. That's as far as many of the sniper rifles in the game can shoot. This is not a bug, it's just how it was designed. *shrug

Really? Haven't you read Couche's header for this thread?

Really? Haven't you read LuckyCarbons entire post? ;)

He didn't claim there was no bug, he explained under what circumstances the bug comes into play.

You are right, I should have read LC's post more carefully. Sorry LC!

The movement bug is much rarer than I think people think it is. It only happens if an AI with a gun starts so far away that he can't attack or move to position within attack range in a single turn.

It is only as rare as the times you put yourself in that position by those terms.

Trying to engage the enemy in a way that you outnumber them temporarily is part of the play, thinning them out.
Dealing with the enemy in batches works against the flooding of the party, which is a convenient means commonly used in "ugoigo" sequence. You want to flood the player with more than the player can chew in a x turns.

"UgoIgo" is characterized by the extreme weight the initial deployment plays in the final outcome. Turning a position is out of question in most configurations and brings no advantages.

In WL2, it is rather easy to initiate combat on your terms. You can even position every one, then use a member to bait the enemy out of position. If you find a certain npc, you can use the locked on party member as a bait, at the start of the encounter, the npc stays immobile and tank damage. The party behind it line up shots as they wish.

When a wave is composed with 9 by 200 hp enemies, the number of turns to tackle it is easy to figure out. Usually, you cant deal with them in one turn, you force the player to put their efforts on one at a time, therefore freeing space for the other enemies.
When the player puts himself in position of dealing with the wave two by two, it is totally a different story.

That "bug" appears to compensate a structural point.
It is also noted that enemies in general have high speed, helping them to cover ground and close on fast.

I think somebody has fallen in love with the term ugoigo, as they've used it a couple hundred times in the last several days.

NPCs and properly spec'd PCs can move quite far, from 1 to 3 grid squares per action point in combat. 3 squares per AP * 10 AP means that enemy can move 30 squares, which is nearly 50 meters. That's as far as many of the sniper rifles in the game can shoot. This is not a bug, it's just how it was designed. *shrug

It might not be a bug, but it's definitely poor design imo. It should at least take more than 1 round to cross the distance that a sniper can fire.

I don't think the bug is only with gun wielders. I've had larvae at the AG Center move all the way from the fog of war, past a full screen of uncovered map and all the way next to a character and yet another larvae moved just half a screen and also could not attack on the same term. What might be happening in this case is that the game isn't taking them as being "in combat" until they get within a certain range. Once they reach that range, they get their normal move. Until they reach "combat" though, they can move infinitely.

I think somebody has fallen in love with the term ugoigo, as they've used it a couple hundred times in the last several days.

Still way behind the number of times turn based is used to mean "ugoigo"

Back
Top Bottom