Diablo 3 - How the DRM Will Affect You

Blah blah blah. People are pissed about it. Who cares if their surprised?

Blah blah blah. People are still discussing this matter ?

Allthough all sides are clear now ?

I was a big fan of the first Diablo. The atmosphere in that game was simply phenomenal. Not so much the second. Atmosphere was gone and dying in the dungeons was no longer a big deal. Your corpse simply re-appeared back in town. Lame. Not a fan at all of the third. I will not be buying. I never play multiplayer anymore and there is no need whatsoever for a single player game to be online constantly. There are so many freaking online games it isn't funny. I will simply spend my money elsewhere for my single player game.

With what single-player games has this been done in? (MMOs don't count because they are entirely based for online gaming) This is a first as far as I know. Even games made with Steam in mind let me play offline with no problems what-so-ever. The only exception recently has been Dead Island, but that is a problem they are fixing with the next patch hopefully.

Just saying that type of design is coming. I haven't played Dead island, but apparently there's one. IIRC Dragon Age Origin had a connection to the Internet so your player profile could update as the game progressed, and weren't players required to join the Bioware forum during its installation or some such nonsense? True, it didn't prevent one from playing DA:O if the connection was down, but you would not have access to certain features. For some players this may have been as glaring a problem as not being able to play offline in the case of D3.

My point was more general, and not aimed specifically at D3's design, but rather the connectivity requirements will permeate SP games more and more to the point where possibly it's distinction from an MP game becomes blurry. As cloud computing becomes more prevalent and games are no longer stored on the client's PC this is going to be the case. I don't necessarily like that idea either, but that's the way it is and will be; so might as well get used to it.

The irony is while the lack of offline play in D3 doesn't bother me, I will more than likely for the first run-through play by myself. I don't like grouping with people that are on their 3rd Diablo kill because they won't pause for the story elements the new players haven't seen.

Even though I can't stand Hiccup (the character), I must agree with Alrik, this issue has been beaten to death.

Last edited:
If you take an extended break from the game, it logs you out - true. Is that a big issue? Maybe to you. Personally, I'd have to call complete bullshit on that - but there's no way to logically argue against it.

Well plus we don't even know if that's going to be the case in the actual game. The game is in beta. The whole point of beta testing is to provide feedback on things like hey, it might be nice if you could pause the game in single player and it wouldn't log you out as long as you were paused. There is nothing about the "DRM" that prevents it from having these features in single player, it just does not currently in it's incomplete state.

I enjoyed more the first one rather then second, been wanting for it when heard there where rumours that they are creating it, so far material impress me except for this online only feature, definitely for me will be the first thing upon release to wait for at least 10 different reviews and if it will sound as bad as ppl are writing here I will not buy for sure.

Back
Top Bottom