Do We Need Yet Another Game of Thrones Game? (Game of Thrones Ascent)

CountChocula

Keeper of the Watch
Now this is getting ridiculous.

Boston-based developer Disruptor Beam today announced a partnership with HBO to bring the channel’s popular Game of Thrones television series to Facebook as a social game. Game of Thrones Ascent is now accepting closed beta signups.

In Ascent, players assume the role of a noble in the land of Westeros who has to swear allegiance to one of the great houses vying for control of the country. At the same time, the player is responsible for building up their own power base. Details beyond those are currently unavailable, but it sounds as though the core gameplay loop will be a combination of strategy and resource management, where players will have to manage their land and reputation while sending agents out on quests.

More info

What genre has not yet been exploited in Westeros? Perhaps a crossbow FPS or MMO is in the works?

Oh, wait, I've spoken too soon - seems there actually is an MMO in the works as well

Popular fantasy franchise Game of Thrones will become a browser-based massively multiplayer online game this fall, publisher Bigpoint said today.

"We intend to build a game that resonates intimately with its diehard community of followers, while also creating an authentic gaming experience that attracts newcomers to the franchise," (publisher) Bigpoint CEO Heiko Hubertz said in a press release. "The excitement of online games is that, over time, their collective input will help shape the game's destiny; we're eager to see how the story unfolds."

Last edited:
Bigpoint ? Uh ...

I'm the Community Director for Game of Thrones Ascent, the Facebook social game in development at Disruptor Beam. We are all avid gamers and RPGers here, and appreciate you mentioning us on the forums, here!

For beta consideration and to keep up-to-date with game development, please Like us here: https://www.facebook.com/GameOfThronesAscent

:)

I'm the Community Director for Game of Thrones Ascent, the Facebook social game in development at Disruptor Beam. We are all avid gamers and RPGers here, and appreciate you mentioning us on the forums, here!

For beta consideration and to keep up-to-date with game development, please Like us here: https://www.facebook.com/GameOfThronesAscent

:)

Thank you for posting, here, Khatie. I'm a fan of the ASOIAF franchise and I certainly didn't mean to disrespect your game in any way.

However, it has become slightly overwhelming for some of us fans with so many different AGOT games.

With all the press coverage of the various titles, does it help to raise the profile of Game of Thrones Ascent, or make it harder? Perhaps your game stands out because of the social platform and your relationship with HBO?

Actually it's not just a facebook game but also some nonfacebook MMO.

I still remember when I said the first time that Martin is planning to milk fans, and that was ages ago when trilogy became pentalogy, then septalogy (or what's the word for 7 books series?), everyone said I'm just evil and troll. :)

I don't care really. I don't judge a game by how many other games of the setting are there. If a game is good, then it's good. Even better actually if there are other options. That way, you may like the setting, but don't like FPS games, so you can play Game of Thrones, the RPG. Or Game of Thrones, the tactical game. Or Game of Thrones, the 'kick the imp' game. Works for me!

Well Martin would of been better off getting a well know larger developer to make his games. So far we have two failed projects from cyanide. I doubt a facebook or social mmo will improve anything.

I played both games from cyanide and enjoyed them but based on sales and reviews they are failures. Those are the facts and not my opinion.

In the meantime keep milking that cash cow Martin. Just finish your books sometime in the next 7 years.

Well Martin would of been better off getting a well know larger developer to make his games. So far we have two failed projects from cyanide. I doubt a facebook or social mmo will improve anything.

I played both games from cyanide and enjoyed them but based on sales and reviews they are failures. Those are the facts and not my opinion.

In the meantime keep milking that cash cow Martin. Just finish your books sometime in the next 7 years.

Not disputing what you've said, Do you know what sales are for the latest game of thrones game. I'm enjoying it a lot but don't think it will have mass appeal.

Martin doesn't care about his franchise. It's obvious. He's cashing out now cuz he knows he'll only disappoint with his books. Season 2 of the TV series veered quickly into unwatchable garbage. If the books are similar, it seems he had one great story in him (Ned trying to be good in a shit world) and that's about it.

He should get involved with the CW's remake of his hit 80s show Beauty and the Beast. At least then nobody would be talking about his boring crap anymore.

Back
Top Bottom