Escapist puts Skyrim as #1 RPG in last five years

Because criminals don't use 'shutting people up' as their next line of assault once their BS has failed to cloud their victim's mind…

You're not making the statue?

I mean, it's not that your paranoid delusion isn't entertaining - but a physical representation of your long-term psychotic break would make for a delightful use of your obvious capacity :)

Ah yes, the purely insultory phase of a DArt conversation. I can do that too, you know:

Where you born in a barn?

Me lubs Skyrim. I wanna be the guy in Hidden's video :)

My first comically refreshing encounter with what I should have done years ago:

Untitled-1.jpg

I always thought that ignored posts are needlessly big. Makes the actual ignoring harder,

There's a reason I keep recommending the ignore feature :)

It's extremely useful.

I ignored myself but it makes it difficult to edit posts ;)

I have nothing against Skyrim, as far as I know it was a well made game which greatly pleased a large number of fans of the series. I think it has a loud shout for best (general) RPG of the past few years in many categories.

I just believe the list, as a whole, was more of a troll-bait or something rather than a genuine attempt to assess the genre over the past 5 years. As if the guys making the list hadn't actually played many of the other RPGs on the list beyond demo and were just literally pulling names out of a hat in order to get to the point where they could then waffle about their favourite, Skyrim.

If they genuinely like RPGs then they do more damage to the genre by recommending rubbish (by association with good stuff) to new players, no matter what their intentions (jovial trolling or name-dropping for brownie points).

I have nothing against Skyrim, as far as I know it was a well made game which greatly pleased a large number of fans of the series. I think it has a loud shout for best (general) RPG of the past few years in many categories.

I just believe the list, as a whole, was more of a troll-bait or something rather than a genuine attempt to assess the genre over the past 5 years. As if the guys making the list hadn't actually played many of the other RPGs on the list beyond demo and were just literally pulling names out of a hat in order to get to the point where they could then waffle about their favourite, Skyrim.

If they genuinely like RPGs then they do more damage to the genre by recommending rubbish (by association with good stuff) to new players, no matter what their intentions (jovial trolling or name-dropping for brownie points).

If the majority doesn't share you tastes in gaming - then the result isn't doing more damage - as it's pleasing more people.

You have to understand that if games end up being less than what YOU would like - it doesn't mean it's less than what OTHER people would like.

Casual gamers and their preferences can't be objectively established as less valuable.

I can consider Dragon Age 2 a weak crappy game, and I can consider Bioware to have sold out - but it doesn't matter what I think, because I don't represent the majority.

To me, it seems the majority and the casual gamers love Bioware games - and they love all the "controversy" surrounding gay/lesbian sex.

Who am I to deny them the right to enjoy such things? I don't hold that power - and I shouldn't hold that power. I'm not the taste police - and we should be glad there's no such thing, as I probably wouldn't be allowed to eat all my favorite junk food.

It's not rocket science. You just have to get a little beyond yourself.

That's why we'll always see movies like Avatar and Titanic. They're crowd-pleasers. Just because we don't think they're particularly great - doesn't mean they're not great. There's no objective way to quantify great when we're talking about being entertained and kept happy.

If there was, everyone would like the same thing - and they clearly do not.

There is nothing technically wrong with either Avatar or Titanic... They are complete and solid products that make no attempt to rip someone off...

No. You're confusing 'opinion' with 'taste'.

Taste is an entirely different concept to quality. Something can appear appallingly bad to someone of an acquired taste (elitism) but, in reality, still be a solid production which delivers exactly what the purchaser expects in a well-made manner.

Take Transformers, for instance. An extremely easy target for people like myself to bash. But for fans of the franchise and Transformers fans and Bay fans, they do exactly what they say on the tin, each one succeeding in showing the elitists that 'taste' is 'subjective' - in that it depends entirely on the subject matter.

However, now compare The Mask 2 to The Mask. This is no longer a matter of 'taste', because vast swathes of people who loved The Mask, couldn't bare The Mask 2. If someone didn't like The Mask then they are unlikely to want to watch The Mask 2. So to whom do we recommend The Mask 2 to?

The Mask 2 fails to such a large degree from it's source material and audience reception that one has to call foul. The whole project was a 'failure'. It failed both technically and subjectively to deliver what it was otherwise 'easy' to deliver. It was a 'cynical' cash-grab, verging on the immoral.

No-one, in their right mind, would recommend The Mask 2 in any list of anything they were recommending and do so with the intent of maintaining either respect or credibility. If someone did recommend The Mask 2 in a list of 'best of' movies it can be considered a 'scam' list.

You see, liking or disliking Titanic or Avatar is 'taste'. Liking or disliking The Mask 2 is irrelevant to taste, the whole project was a gargantuan failure that no-one would or should recommend it to anyone other than for ulterior motives or curiosity value.

The Mask 2 - Ratings: 2.1/10 from 32,164 users

The Mask - Ratings: 6.8/10 from 197,775 users

The Mask itself is evidently a movie 'of a certain taste'. The sequel is 'unquestionably bad'.

Dragon Age II - User Score 4.3 based on 4036 Ratings

Dragon Age: Origins - User Score 8.5 based on 2652 Ratings

And when you consider:

"A BioWare employee was caught posing as a consumer on the review site Metacritic [for DA2]. The employee, Chris Hoban, who posted under the name of Avanost gave a score of 10/10 saying "Anything negative you will see about this game is an overreaction of personal preference.""

We can conclude 'beyond doubt' that Dragon Age: Origins is a 'good' game which doesn't necessarily require so much individual 'taste' whereas Dragon Age II is, essentially, unquestionably bad.

To completely ignore this concept of 'reality' is philosophical pedantry to point where philosophical pedantry itself stops being relevant.

Ah Joxer is still stuck in this mode apparently :biggrin:

kt504c9783.jpg

I don't say nor would ever say Skyrim doesn't deserve a place among 25 best RPGs in last 5 years.
But at #1 spot? No matter what criteria I think of, it just can't fit above plenty of others on that list (again, I didn't play all of those other 24, especially not console titles). Hell it can't even outDLC some entries (mass effects).

Unless the list is about the number of copies sold or as critical miss comic suggested, unless it's about the number of available mods. But then the list should be named like "the bestselling RPG" or "the most modded RPG".

Back
Top Bottom