FPS games for my little brother?

RPGfreak

Watcher
Any suggestions? Hes 11, and English isnt his native language, so i need some mindless FPS games.

11 year old kid should be out (role)playing with his friends or doing something creative instead of getting more stupid with FPS.

But since I honestly don't care if someone wants to have a stupid kid or a stupid brother like in this case, give him Diablo 1&2 or if it just has to be firstperson, set him up CounterStrike or CallOfDuty acc.

What is his native language? Some games allow subtitles in other languages.

What about Dark Messiah of Might & Magic? It's been a long time since I played so I'm not real sure how well it would work.

Alice: Madness Returns seems awfully dark for an 11 year old but it's a lot more about the art than the story so it would fit the language bill.

Borderlands has some story but it isn't much. (Borderlands 2 did a lot better with its story.)

I remember the Halo games as pretty PG friendly.

Half-Life 2 has subtitles in a lot of languages.

Many oldies (MS-DOS and early Windows 95 ones) can be played without knowledge of the idiom too, like Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Shadow Warrior and others, but normally they're a bit graphic. Serious Sam too.

Painkiller:Overdose there are newer painkiller games but this is by far best.It's pretty straightforward, kill everything in the room progress to the next.

Well, are those the kind of games that 11-year olds are supposed to play these days?

How about minecraft instead ?

Clonk! :) not first person but still...

FPS for an 11 year old ? I'd outright forbid him that. Only when he gets older.

Kids that young still aren't able to distinguish between GAME and REALITY good enough. I would fear that he might mix things - shooting people in reality, for example.

A few days ago I read the sentence, said by the protagonist in an crime novel : "This is not a game [anymore]" .

It struck me how hard the difference getween Reality and Game must be that they HAD TO write this INTO THE NOVEL to make it more believable …

Painkiller:Overdose there are newer painkiller games but this is by far best.It's pretty straightforward, kill everything in the room progress to the next.

So you actually believe that an 11 year old should learn to effectively MURDER everything in a room and then move on into the next room ?

Good training for any shootist ...

Well, with this "advice" any respect I had for you is definitively going to be flushed through the next toilet ... I just cannot respect any people who just don't care about the physical build of an 11 year old child - you'd give him a lookalike machine gun and send him "killing" people on a market with rubber ammunition, yes ?

Kids that young still aren't able to distinguish between GAME and REALITY good enough. I would fear that he might mix things - shooting people in reality, for example.

Kids are pretty good at knowing what is real and what is not. While they might have less restrained imaginations than most adults, they know that their games, movies & toys don't actually reflect reality.

For the record, I was 8 or 9 the first time I watched Alien 2, and I loved violent games like Quake & Crusader No Remorse when I got my first computer (age 11)

So you actually believe that an 11 year old should learn to effectively MURDER everything in a room and then move on into the next room ?

Good training for any shootist …

Well, with this "advice" any respect I had for you is definitively going to be flushed through the next toilet … I just cannot respect any people who just don't care about the physical build of an 11 year old child - you'd give him a lookalike machine gun and send him "killing" people on a market with rubber ammunition, yes ?

Sorry but that is just crap.How many people grown up with violent video games and movies?Are you claiming they all mentally disturbed?

Alrik is a very sensitive person who is also somewhat out of touch with reality :)

That said, he sort of has a point - even if he's being excessively judgmental here.

I'm not sure why we're endorsing this kind of violence as good entertainment - but I never seemed to carry it into real life, personally. I'm quite peaceful by nature.

That said, I think we tend to be overprotective of children in general - and we tend to give them way too much power - considering their insignificant insight.

Exposing children to the darker side of reality isn't the problem. The problem is when we fail to instill reasonable values that correspond with society. This kind of thing takes effort and demands a lot of the parents and immediate surroundings.

Since I'm not a parent myself, it's easy for me to speak about it. But it's also pretty obvious that violence/sex/whatever itself is not the problem. The problem when it's made out to be something it shouldn't be, because there's no context or consequence.

There are so many great computer games, and even more great books, toys or activities to gift. Why would you deliberately search for a "mindless FPS game" for someone you care about?

Are you saying an 11 year old wouldn't enjoy watching The Matrix?

What chance, would you say, should they "get" it, that they'd become completely psychotic and start thinking reality isn't real; they're trapped in a simulation, then panic like someone on too many mushrooms thinking they can fly and all that?

Do you think 11 year olds have a lot of trouble dealing with sleep and dreaming? Can they tell "good enough" when they're awake or dreaming or do they need constant reinforcement that they are, in fact, conscious?

How many consecutive hours of Minecraft would it take the average 11 year old to become so detached from reality that he goes outside and starts punching trees?

Sorry but that is just crap.How many people grown up with violent video games and movies?Are you claiming they all mentally disturbed?

Well, I'm the one who fits on both counts. :D

There are so many great computer games, and even more great books, toys or activities to gift. Why would you deliberately search for a "mindless FPS game" for someone you care about?

Because kids sometimes don't read book or play stuff like minecraft even when they have no alternatives.

I'm not sure why we're endorsing this kind of violence as good entertainment -

I am not endorsing.He asked question and I am giving answer.Sometimes people just want simple answer without philosophy.

Edit: Personally I seen therapeutic side in "mindless fps":.I been throught lot of bad stuff in my pre-teen and teen years and while I play RPGs and startegies in 90% of the times raging in games like GTA III and Vice city helped me to blow some steam and leave lot of negativity in them, I never made any pooblems in rl.I am not saying it will work for all I am just saying to to judge things based on your own assumption.(this last sentence is directed at Alrik).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom