Network Problems...

nameless hero

Watchdog
Hi, I recently bought Far Cry (Bargain at $20). Ive tried setting up a LAN with 2 computers, but Im having problems.

I have a network established (i.e. Network Neighborhood), but when one computer hosts, the other cannot see the other computer, and thus cannot join. I tried HAMACHI, but it creates a virtual LAN network over the internet, so that doesnt work.

Any ideas ? Thx?

There are many things it could be, from router settings, to firewalls. People will need a little more tech info to be able to help effectively!!

First, does Network Neighbourhood definitely allow you to access files in both directions? Don't just open NN -- open the other computer (and do it from the other direction as well) and make sure you can actually reach some current files to ensure your basic network really does work.

If it does work (or you are already 100% sure it does), the first thing to check is that you're not being blocked by a firewall(s). Do you have firewall/security software (Norton, McAfee, Kerio, ZoneAlarm...) or Win XP's built-in firewall (such as in Service Pack 2)?

If so, you'll need to enable access for FarCry on both systems. This process varies with the actual firewall, so you may need to check your documentation or tell us the exact type. The easiest way to test is to temporarily disable any firewall on both systems -- you might want to to disconnect your internet access for safety while you do this.

If it's not a firewall, try setting the other system up as the host and post some specific details such as Windows version, the IP of each PC, any firewall/security software (just to be sure) and what you've tried so we can eliminate those options.

Ok...
-Network Neighborhood works perfectly, both ways, side ways, up ways and both ways. :)
-I dont have any sort of firewall installed. I have SP2 but the security centre is off.

Im thinking that maybe because my pc has SP2 and the other PC has SP1 it could have some issues. Though Age of Empires 3 runs perfectly on multiplayer.

The problem with far cry is that there is no direct_iP connection feature. all there is, is refresh, create and join.

I suppose thats all the important info!!! though (lol) this doesnt quite give alot to work with.

Oh, btw, how do I find my ip address? I remember doing it before, just ive now forgotten. Thx.

Back
Top Bottom