Has this ever happened to you?

I used to be adverse to FPS games, then Thief and Deus Ex came along, so I'm more open to the style than I used to be. I still can't stand run-and-gun shooters though.
I used to avoid the RTS genre after being utterly dismayed with Age Of Empires, but then Knights Of Honour came along and showed me that a strategy game can be real-time and still have lots of tactical and diplomatic layers. Still never got into the Total War series though. Those games are, well, too much total war and not enough empire management. I prefer to build and govern rather than war.
I used to dismiss racing games, but I've found that some can be a great bit of fun. I like the ones where you can bash your car to hell and it responds accordingly. Rally Trophy spent a lot of time on my hard-drive. And I really like the GTA games though I've never actually finished one.
The sports genre still doesn't appeal to me. Until someone makes a turn-based Blood Bowl game, I'll probably never play a sports game.
I'm sure there are all sorts of little genres and sub-genres I'm not interested in, but the point ultimately is that there's always something that comes along that prevents me from saying "I don't like (insert genre) games."

...I tried Freelancer a few months ago and I really liked it, thou it was a bit short.
Freelancer is one of the greatest "could have been" games of all time. It was originally going to be the ultimate space sim where you could go anywhere and do anything, a huge sandbox where the plot could be ignored completely. Obviously, it didn't turn out that way.

The designers ran into problems and kept pushing back the launch date further and further. After about five years somebody finally pulled the plug. The introduction was converted into a main plot, and that's why the game seems so short.

Modders did great things with Freelancer, and that's how to get the most out of it, especially the multi-player game (which is the best part). You can check it out at Lancers Reactor.

I didn't like Freelancer, because they just gave the game no Joystick support.
I just can't play such games without Joystick support.

Some games have taken over the market and thus dropped the games I actually like. I do not like thoose games. Diablo clones, MMORPGs and Oblivion have had a terrible impact on the RPG genré. Now good rpgs are barely made here anymore and I have been forced to go to the japanese market to find decent RPG's.

Im also tired of all the warsims and crimesims that represent like 50% of the new games if not more.

Actually, I'm quite surprised how much I share your thoughts, JemyM ... - you aren't a secret clone of mine, are you ? O_O

Back
Top Bottom