Transitioning Into a Console Gamer

I never could quite understand the idea that gamers must carry the console flag or PC flag

I agree, which is why you inspired me to add "as well" to the end of my first post, as not to sound like I am abandoning the computer entirely. What I have done, however; is embraced consoles, and made observances towards what I feel may be the future. Don't want to sound like I'm just swapping elitism's ;)

... then there's little sub-wars between the different console factions - xbox vs. playstation for example. It's really quite bizarre how people get defensive over a product!

… then there's little sub-wars between the different console factions - xbox vs. playstation for example. It's really quite bizarre how people get defensive over a product!

That exists in the PC world as well. I double-dog-dare you to walk into an Apple store when it's full of customers and yell from the top of your lungs, "WINDOWS 7" or "BILL GATES.' I dare you. :p

That exists in the PC world as well. I double-dog-dare you to walk into an Apple store when it's full of customers and yell from the top of your lungs, "WINDOWS 7" or "BILL GATES.' I dare you. :p

I think I will but be prepared for it to make the news. It will get brutal.:lol: Seriously dont do it the apple brainwashed masses will kill you.

I always wanted to give my sister a Mac game as a birthday present ... But they are so expensive !

Yeah. Sad.

While I had a lot of computers (my first was a Speccy in 1983) never had a console.
All the games that I like to play are basically computer games and not video games.
RPG, Wargames, milsims, flight sims, etc, work better in a computer environment.
Besides I like the ability that some of this games genre permit for modding, and we all know that's incompatible with the console manufacturers idea of business.
The day that they streamline (to the absurd) all games I'll just quit playing.

I'd be returning to board games, then, when that day ever arrives.

As a kid I played both on PC and Sega Master System 2, and today I play both on Personal Computer and PlayStation 3, which I took recently, and I really enjoy both systems :)
I just don't care about the platform, if I can play a game on the platform I have, and ofc the game interests me, well, I just buy and play it! With no doubts or regrets or so called "PC elitism"...
IMHO, even today we have great examples of (action) RPGs, on both platforms: for PCs, a recent example is The Witcher (especially the first), for the PS3 there's Demon's Souls (just try that, for any fool that didn't do it yet!).
Just enjoy what do you like, and be happy with it :)

When the available games I wanted to play got fewer and fewer, I decided to try some of the most popular console series. The three series I begun to play were Resident Evil, Metal Gear and Final Fantasy. After playing all I could on PC in emulators or the PC versions, I cracked and grabbed myself a GameCube, PSP, Playstation 2 and Playstation 3. I have played several other console-only titles such as Uncharted after that. I just cannot get around the fact that many of my favorite genrés simply sucks on a console.

As a gamer I see no reason not to have both, but in general I use the PC-version if a PC and Console version is available.

As a kid I played both on PC and Sega Master System 2, and today I play both on Personal Computer and PlayStation 3, which I took recently, and I really enjoy both systems.

Sega Master System 2? Are you referring to the Genesis/Mega Drive?

I almost never play on consoles nowadays, mainly due to a lack of extra time. A have a PS3 and a Wii, both covered in dust. In fact, I don't think I've powered up my Wii yet this year.

I was a PC elitist for many years. As I got older I just didn't care to spend a bunch of money on a PC when a console was so cheap and would do what I needed it to do. Now I have a little laptop and my Xbox and love it.

Without a doubt a computer is better than a console in pretty much every way but the console is just so easy. I like easy now.

Sega Master System 2? Are you referring to the Genesis/Mega Drive?

No there actually was a Segas Master System II. It was just the same SMS in a more streamlined form factor though. Sort of like the newer black XBox 360 vs the older and larger white one.

I actually started out on consoles myself, the SMS, NES, Genesis, SNES etc but Ultima 7 won me over and I've been a computer gamer for the most part ever since.

I don't really play console games now although most PC games are console ports these days so I suppose I really do play console games indirectly. :p

I miss some of the retro style games and in particular turn based games so I do find myself playing some casual and portable (phone/tablet, not the DS) games currently.

As a gamer I see no reason not to have both, but in general I use the PC-version if a PC and Console version is available.

My stance exactly. I go where the games are and, although I used to be a heavy PC-only gamer for years, I've come to accept that games now come in a lot of "flavors" and some of those console kiddy games (like "Demon's Souls" and "Persona") are really just a different spin on the types of RPGs I've enjoyed on the PC for years. Once you mentally cross that line, it is like seeing the gaming world through a different set of glasses. Many more gaming possibilities begin to open up to you…

Btw, if a game comes out on PS3 or PC, I still will always grab the PC version, as it is always superior and, as others have said, typically open to customization/modification.

I consider myself a predominately PC gamer mostly due to customization/modification capabilities and the fact that I dont like buying physical media anymore and dont visit Gamestop or the like anymore. It also doesnt help that there is not a lot being released on the consoles that I care about. The PS3 has released like 20 total RPGs that are not Action-RPGs and half of those don't even make to the US. The 360 is just as bad though they had a few more that I liked.

I own a PS2, PS3, XBox, XBox 360 (w/ Kinect) but they do not get heavy use. The older ones are in storage probably never to be used again. The 360 gets little use outside of Kinect stuff. The PS3 gets a lot of use more due to Netflix streaming and Blueray than games. My favorite console exclusive RPGs have been on the 360.

I have always owned a PC(since 1984) and built or bought them around New games. Though needed for school, work and other stuff…Having one built for game is the best of both worlds. That being said I have always owned a console(since 1983) as well, countless ones to many to name.
I have always believed and to this day that PC have the better games(RPGS) and graphics. But when i was younger my budies and I always loved playing NHL, NFL, golf etc games on consoles…and on some drunken nights those silly fighting games like Mortal combat.
Now that I have younger boys (8 10) they love the PS3, their gameboys, and they have a Wii but I don't think any of like it much.
It does make me sad it is harder and harder to find PC games in stores unless pre-ordered. That some games have been for lack of better words dumbed down or not PC first…in RPG's. The world is changing, not sure if I am ready for it in gaming but what can you do.

I'm still PC exclusive, but that's due to laziness and practicality rather than fundamentalism. I dont have time to game as much as in the past, and I need a new-ish PC for work anyway. The titles I like are still primarily PC releases too.

They'll just throw their lattes at you and hit you w/ their purses. And that's the guys! ;)

Just made Pepsi come out my nose. Bravo sir!

I have a PS3 and have had most of the other consoles at one time. But ultimately I set up a Home Theater style PC with a good video card, wireless mouse and KB and even a 360 gamepad. Looks great on my 65" for games, music, streaming while relaxing on the couch.

No one with functioning vision could claim consoles come close to PC graphics even at the same resolution. Most console games aren't even truly 1080, and 720 is even fairly rare - despite box claims. With the PC I get true 1920x1080, plus all the eye-candy stuff like FSAA, DOF, etc. And cheaper games to boot.

Consoles have their place, but they don't compare in quality to even a moderate level PC. Now if display tech would just catch up - my PC monitor can do 2560x1600 but my TV can only do 1080...despite most modern movies being recorded at 2k or 4k now. But I digress...

All that said I end up playing old Atari 2600 and arcade games on emulators a good portion of the time. Go figure. ;)

</ramble>

Back
Top Bottom