KOA: Reckoning, any exposition on Origin requisite for Retail?

Has already been announced. Steam requires Steam only. Everything else requires Origin.

Aye, but what's involved with Origin? Simple account, one time activation or constant connection and installed software akin to Steam?

Good question. ;)

Yes, there's been a lot of confusion on this issue, was looking to get the facts straight from a brave retail soul.

Although... in my google-fu, I just learned that there isn't even a printed manual for the retail copy. Sigh. I don't care about EA's excuses, for $60, you should get more than a plastic box and a DVD.

I pre-ordered it, a first for me in over a decade since the UIX debacle from the same goddamned publisher ffs!

I played about 6h of it today and it feels to me, unlike most of the other dimwits, like a graphically(slightly) upgraded version of Sacred Gold. i.e. the same trite writing, muddy graphics(tanks console kiddies), crappy UI(but NOWHERE near as AWFUL as skabrim), ph47 1007 fest(kinda), TQesque minimap, TQ/TW oh no yer cannot goes thar evar because we put a 1mm lip and yar caint jump or even freaking lift yar foot...

Freaking game is $60 comes in an ultra crap shit quality DVD case(flexy as hell), NO printed manual... waste of $60 to me ATM.

As an RPG of any sort, given that it's VERY much an ARPG it's WAY better as an RPG than skabrim, but as a whole game ignoring genre skabrim is the better game(sadly).

Two Worlds 1 and/or 2, Teh Witchar 1 or 2 are ALL better ARPGs than Reckoning, easily and they ALL look like they were made somewhat recently while Reckoning looks to have been made half a decade or more ago along with assininely sized weapons(hammers, and larger swords... the rest oddly enough are what you'd expect WTF?!).

I really f'ing pissed that a fscking $60 game phailed to provide a printed manual! Tir na Christa!

I feel your pain CT but didn't you get exactly that sort of feeling from the demo? Still, for 60 bucks game, lack of manual is a right rip-off!

Yes, there's been a lot of confusion on this issue, was looking to get the facts straight from a brave retail soul.

Although… in my google-fu, I just learned that there isn't even a printed manual for the retail copy. Sigh. I don't care about EA's excuses, for $60, you should get more than a plastic box and a DVD.

If you haven't read it I explained my experience in installing koa thread.

Koa has a in-game manual. Kind of neat, I think other then the fact its the usual small amount of info. i will just get the hardcover guidebook when it is released

I think it's kind of tragic. I'd rather they add $5 to the cost of the game and include a nice manual.

I ordered the guidebook as well. I do for pretty much all rpg's.

Digital troubles:

I had nothing but trouble installing the game. I preordered through Amazon, but Origin locked up every time it tried to install. I finally gave up and downloaded from Origin; my code from Amazon allowed me to install from there. However anytime my pc goes to sleep, the idiot game stops downloading. I was sitting there just to keep the computer awake, but that got old. I finally got the brilliant idea to take the zip file I received from Amazon and extract it to the Origin/Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning directory, where it was ever so slowly downloading. I just stopped the download, copied the contents of what it had downloaded so far to another hdd, and then dumped the zip file into the download directory. I relaunched Origin and it said "ready to install". Yay! I got a whole 45 minutes of the game played last night, enough to exit the first area and get on the path to the first town.

However anytime my pc goes to sleep, the idiot game stops downloading.

That's caused by a power-saving features in Windows. Always annoyed by it, so I turn off power-saving almost entirely...

Alternative:
Install a free media player software - ignore the WMP, it's a piece of shit that phones home everything - and let it play a small video in an endless loop. Sleep mode doesn't kick in as long as the video is playing.

Good ideas. Steam has something that keeps it awake automatically, so I've never needed to mess with it.

I turn off all power saving features. They only seem to cause problems or become an annoyance at some point. You can make a custom profile to turn off whatever you want. There's really no need for them unless you game on a laptop or are very energy conscious.

Back
Top Bottom