Strife - Veteran Edition Remake Released

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Strife, the hybrid FPS/RPG from 1996, has been remade for modern resolutions and released on Steam.

Well here's a lovely Christmassy surprise. Strife—the Doom-era game that mixed first-person shooting with first-person roleplaying waaay before Deus Ex—is now on Steam, in remastered, 'Veteran Edition' form. Despite the name, they haven't tinkered with the game to make it more palatable to war veterans, but they have (optionally) smoothed over many of its jagged pixels, restored a cut multiplayer mode, and generally ensured that Strife should be more compatible with today's mega-monitors, and with the youth of today's pixel-phobic retinas. It's also 25% off until next Friday.

A persistent complaint I've noticed across Steam reviews and on the game's Steam forum is talk of sluggish mouse controls, but the developers are aware of this issue and say that they've fixed it in the beta build, so maybe give that a download if you find yourself suffering from that particular problem. Tech talk aside, why should you be interested in Strife? I'll let Paul Dean's Reinstall and Richard Cobbett's Crapshoot do the talking.

Along with the reinstated Capture the Chalice multiplayer mode, automap objective markers, and a Torpedo weapon HUD, Strife: Veteran Edition adds the following stuff:

• Support for high resolutions, with proper aspect ratio.
  • OpenGL for video backend to provide portability and support for vertical sync.
  • Dynamic lighting and bloom
  • Widescreen support.
  • Ability to freely rebind all keyboard, mouse, and gamepad inputs.
  • Steam Achievements
  • Steam Trading Cards
More information.

More information.

So very very strange.

We were talking about this game, here, a few months ago. I found a wiki page for the original game that talked about the source code for the game being lost. The general consensus, here, was that the game was alright back then. But not once did it come up, that I recall, that a remake was in the works.

I'm In. And wow the game is pretty cheap at $7.49

A quick visit to the steam forums shows that the developer is working on the paper goodies that came with the original game.

A quick visit to the steam forums shows that the developer is working on the paper goodies that came with the original game.

Holy crap, seriously?

Now that's something you don't see very often anymore. :) That's actually pretty awesome.

It is a big surprise for me. I remember this game from the Doom era.

I recall hearing a lot of good things about Strife, but I never played it for some reason. After watching some videos on YouTube, I'd say it looks like Doom but with NPCs, dialogue choices, etc. It also apparently has RPG mechanics and a branching storyline.

Iirc, Jaz is a big fan of this game.

Tried it ages ago. It has a semi-open world like Hexen, but with people to talk to and quests to complete. Two things stopped me from playing at that time:

1) it was pretty buggy (not much technical, but quest broken)
2) very linear in that you can not trigger certain events before speaking to npcs or completing tasks in a 'very' specific order. So completing quests involves figuring out which npcs to talk to and in which order to progress.

Well that was a while ago, and maybe they patched it after.

I would have to echo SpoonFULL's comments. I thought it was a great idea to implement RPG elements in a FPS, but the execution was flawed. I never completed it, due in part to some some buggy quests, though I can't remember specifics after 20 years.

I am glad they are trying to recreate the maps and such. I still have my paper map filed away.

Atmospheric pretty fine game. Still remember the snake temple with all the hissing :D.

I played this from an old copy I managed to track down and one of the Doom source ports. (I can't remember which one, probably ZDoom or SvStrife.) It was pretty fun; something about the old-school Doom gameplay really gets me, and the quests and interaction break it up nicely. I doubt it really needed a remastering; given Night Dive's history they probably just packages up the original game along with one of the source ports and called it done.

Hmmm this looks kinda nostalgic, to my shame I must admit that I actually never heard of the original before now.

Hmmm this looks kinda nostalgic, to my shame I must admit that I actually never heard of the original before now.
Then please try it and tell us how it feels for somebody, who isn't biased by nostalgia; unfortunately I am not in this position… :idea:

Back
Top Bottom