Stange

P

pibbur who

EDIT: I sent the post before finishing the subject line. It should read "Strange behaviour of Bitdefender antivirus software". Somone fix it, please?

When I start The Elder Scrolls on line on my desktop computer, I get a message from BitDefender (Total Security 2014): "Potential malicious application detected", becasue the application's (eso.exe) "behaviour can harm your computer". This started a couple of days ago.

I have ESO installed on a laptop as well, same version, and same version of BitDefender. If I copy the entire game folder from my desktop to the laptop, I get no such warnings on my laptop. And if I copy the laptop elder scrolls folder to my desktop, I still get the warning on my desktop. Regular scanning of the program reports no infection.

Last update of ESO didn't change anything. Neither did updating the bitdefender datafiles.

The only significant difference I can think of between the two installations, is that the laptop uses Win8.1, the desktop's got Win7.

pibbur who needless to say, although he says it anyway, is confused.

Last edited:
You didn't, by chance, use the unofficial 4GB enabler? IIRC, that modifies the .exe file - though I could be wrong.

Also, I've noticed that Win8 uses a new built-in security system for .exe files, and I've seen a ton of false-positives. Maybe BitDefender is being affected by this somehow? I wouldn't know.

Best bet is good old Google, with something like "BitDefender eso.exe windows 8".

You didn't, by chance, use the unofficial 4GB enabler? IIRC, that modifies the .exe file - though I could be wrong.
Haven't used that one. And actually, I did a complete reinstallation of ESO.
Also, I've noticed that Win8 uses a new built-in security system for .exe files, and I've seen a ton of false-positives. Maybe BitDefender is being affected by this somehow? I wouldn't know.
I suspect that the OS may have something to do with it, but the installation with the problem is the Win7 system. I should have been clearer on that.
Best bet is good old Google, with something like "BitDefender eso.exe windows 8".

Did that already, found just one reference to the problem (http://forums.elderscrollsonline.co...der-potentially-malicious-applicaton-detected) connected to the 24/6 patch, but (I think) my problem started later than that, and I have played the game in between. Besides the reference provides no explanation and no solution.

Well, I have also sent a mail to customer support.

pibbur who

I don't use anti-virus software in real-time modes, so I don't really know. But if you've scanned everything and there's no other problem, I wouldn't worry about it.

Just play and forget it :)

Then again, I never have anything vital on my harddrive that I can't replace - so I tend to not care. I'll just reinstall if something bad happens.

Back
Top Bottom