DA:I Early benchmark on DA3

Dragon Age: Inquisition

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
You think you'll play it on 10 years old machine?
Riiiight:
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Dragon-Age-Inquisition-PC-236767/Specials/Technik-Test-1142136/

bch.jpg

Last edited:
Okay applied the new nVidia drivers.
Benchmark? Remained the same.
If they did enhanced performance on some cards, it wasn't on GTX 760.

Okay applied the new nVidia drivers.
Benchmark? Remained the same.
If they did enhanced performance on some cards, it wasn't on GTX 760.

Are you sure the game is gpu limited? These day, and especially in 1080p, it's usually cpu performance that is holding a game back.

LOL
I'm sure the game is not optimized.
Limited by CPU or GPU... That we can't know for sure.

Are you sure the game is gpu limited? These day, and especially in 1080p, it's usually cpu performance that is holding a game back.

Sorry, a bit too quick in posting before reading the entire post and linked article :)
You said driver, so that would be CPU optimizations...

In any case, from the charts it looks like it's indeed CPU limited in 1080p, but gpu limited in 1440p. That actually looks like a fairly balanced game to me (at a quick glance).

LOL
I'm sure the game is not optimized.
Limited by CPU or GPU… That we can't know for sure.

Actually we kind of can :)

Notice the top two entries in the chart - the only difference there is whether it's running with the DirectX graphics API or the new Mantle API from AMD. Same GPU.

Mantle is a software API that reduces the CPU cost of issuing a draw call. Since the game runs faster in 1080p with Mantle, it means the CPU is holding it back in that resolution.

In 1440p performance is the same with DirectX and Mantle - that can only be the case when raw GPU performance is holding the game back. So it's GPU limited in this resolution.

I have to disagree. In fact, I'd say it's the opposite. With some exceptions, most modern games are far more dependent on the gpu than anything else.

And I'm running with an AMD Radeon 7770 1gb. I'm actually playing it relatively smoothly, which comes as a huge shock to me. I thought I'd be staggering Win 3.1-style through the whole thing, but I'm not.

That's not to say I'm not curious about how much differently it'll run on a nice 4gb card...

Once I added the FPS fix for cut scenes my game play has been very smooth and easy sailing. Just lucky my Nvidia card is not one of the trouble ones. They got a patch in the works though.

Thanks for FPS fix (definetly is something odd with cutscenes), not really caring for multiplayer. :)

Whether it's capped by CPU or GPU often depends on what's going on. Combat against a small group of enemies with lots of fancy spells and explosions? GPU. Walking around a rather quiet location with quite a few NPCs going about their busienss? CPU.

Benchmarks are often flawed in that there is no context, which makes it hard to know what's actually going on. Of course, it can still be used to figure out whether or not you can run it on a medium PC.

As for my own performance, I have a GTX980 and an i7-4790, so it's been smooth sailing so far (everything on ultra etc). It looks amazing, by the way.

Benchmarks are great and all but for me the real test is how does the game feel to me.

My game autodetected to ultra for almost everything and the 2 things on high are likely high enough. Game runs totally smooth to me. i7 3770k, R9 290.

I guess my poor eyesight and all just makes it so that I don't even notice cutscenes being at 30fps being an issue. I'm more interested in how the game looks and feels vs an FPS stat.

My game autodetected to ultra for almost everything and the 2 things on high are likely high enough. Game runs totally smooth to me. i7 3770k, R9 290.

Out of curiosity, what type of hard drive do you have? HHD or SSD?

As far as the cutscenes go, I don't understand why anyone would have an issue with them running at 30fps. Any perceived lack of smoothness has nothing to do with that framerate.

Back
Top Bottom