Sims 4 nails character creation!

no dlc is ever "required" to play the original game. But saying splitting them up makes a game complete is just pure BS. They plan on making every single expansion released at full price just so they can earn the extra cash. They would have no problem what so ever to include it in the main game, would probably even be easier where coding is concerned.

I've bought all the expansions for every Sims released to date. You can blame me.

I've bought all the expansions for every Sims released to date. You can blame me.

haha, I'm a little guilty too. Although I've only bought those that looked interesting :blush:

It's a big improvement, but still pretty crappy compared to what they COULD do. Those models are really pretty crap as well for this day and age.

Not to mention I am a bit annoyed they can't get honest with themselves and make them nude within vanilla without some special hack.

Get real, why would they give something to you just like that if it can be made later as DLC?
I bet it'd be a bestseller. :evilgrin:

Good point, there's no esrb rating for online content either (I think).

That would be a sight. New expansion..you no longer see censorship, now give us 50 bucks!

I'd actually prefer it that way as opposed to a hack. That way kids whose parents buy it can't run off and get some downloadable hack, but single people can still get it for a fee if they like.

I am sure that some people on the censorship and the freedom front would complain though, even if it was a small fee.

That housing system looks like it would fix most of my gripes with The Sims. While I never cared for taking care of my sims, I found the house-building aspect to be quite fun. And the character creation process looks really good. If such a system was implemented into more games, I would probably start customizing my characters more (usually I start with an idea in mind when I make a character, but then it just ends up looking terrible and I give up and hit random/use a pre-set instead).

Is it possible in Sims to play just a single character while other characters are controled by AI?

Is it possible in Sims to play just a single character while other characters are controled by AI?

Yes and no. At least in the earlier games, you could make a family of one, and only control that person. Other sims could come and visit you, but you had no direct control over them. If you want more sims to live in the same building though, you'll have to control them all.

In Sims 3 you can play a single character.
If you want/need more, you have to add them to your household. They don't have to be a same family. Everyone else is being run by AI.

However in Word Adventures expansion there are a few puzzles crackable only with two characters plus to train sim fu fast easiest way is to spar with someone - this means if you're geting that expansion, you should have at least two characters in your household.
If you get whichever expansion with music instruments, to pump your skill up the easiest way is to jam. Which means if you have two characters give one a guitar and drums to another and voila.
Etc.

So I suggest playing with two characters, you just choose if they'll be the same family.
Just remember you don't have to make a romance between them or to get them married, good old friends sharing an apartment is an option, plus you'll avoid getting annoying kids that way. ;)

Hm... no, that's not something I'd like to play.
If there was the possibility to truly play as a single character, the games could be played as some kind of sandbox "RPG" without combat. I would have given this a try.

Eh?
I just told you there is exactly that possibility.

The base game you can play "solo" completely.
It's expansions that have a bit more content to explore/experience if you use more than one character.

Sims 3 is usually on sale somewhere, if not on GG, GMG or Steam, try with key resellers (G2A, go2arena, etc). Don't buy it directly on Origin as they charge too much for it!
If you do like the base game and decide to give expansions a try, buy Ambitions and World Adventures first. If you want more fun after that, Supernatural is a must expansion.
Skip Pets and Island Paradise as they never fixed the freezing AI bugs in those two. Late Night is pretty boring, Seasons is for masochists as you have to be prepared for weather changes, Generations is not for you as it involves kids and you don't want a family, Showtime is crappy MMO so skip it. Dunno about University Life and Into the Future as I don't have those two.

Don't buy different stuff packs and worlds! Those things should have been free or included with proper expansions that "enhance" the gameplay and IMO are a fraud.

Last edited:
Eh?
I just told you there is exactly that possibility.
If I've understood you correctly, it's not possible to have characters in your household, that are controlled by the AI. That's what I'd try to play.

What type of characters exactly?
You may get a butler who lives in your house, does chores and is controlled by AI. You can't control him. You can ask him to do things or just chat, but that's all, you can't micromanage his moves.

But you can't have a family member fully automated in your house. You can't have a huge family in a house, run only one person and let AI to do others.

That is a very large topic.

Bottomline: all Sims are controlled by the AI, including the Sims in favoured relationship with the player.

This results in various ways to play the Sims, that spans from two extremes:

-as many queued input orders as possible.
-as few queued input orders as possible.

The first end of the spectrum is conventional and suppresses the expression of the AI, letting the player run the show.

The second demands that the player takes time to understand what the Sims are.

The first end of the spectrum is about letting the player achieve what the player want to achieve in the game, Sims are mere tools to allow the player to achieve. They are puppets.

The second end of the spectrum is about letting the sims achieve what they want to achieve in the game (virtuality), the player is here to guide Sims throughout their life, pushing a few capital decisions once in a while.

The Sims each have a personality. That personality is not sumed up to the dominant traits. Actually, sims personality is a bit of every trait.
Sims' personality could be represented on a the classical circle with polar opposites to provide an overall vision.

The game does not provide that tool though but through observation or some other tests, it is possible to understand a Sims' personality.

Example: all Sims are, to various levels, brave or coward. Choosing brave/coward as a main traits for a Sims means that they are on the higher end for each. Sims though as secondary traits, might be less or more brave/coward.

It goes the same for every other traits like like the outdoors/dislike the outdoors.

Observation is required to delineate a Sim personality. It is very easy. For example, Sims that has an inappropriate tendency usually walk around in night wear while sims with an appropriate tendency usually dress properly and even choose appropriate dressing.
Same goes for relation to nakedness as sims who do not like to go naked prefer to dress in long, covering clothes etc

That was for the Sims' personality.

Determining the Sims'personality is totally irrelevant when queuing as many orders as possible since the player suppresses a Sims personality.

It is crucial in the other end of the spectrum.

Sims get along better with Sims based on proximity of personality but not only. How?
It is simple because Sims might have a different relationship to their environment, even though when their personality is close.

For example: Sims might have a tendency to like activities involving logics. Satisfying that taste though go through different activities.
For example, one logical Sim might like to play Chess while another might like to use a telescope (it is obviously connected to the outdoor/indoor thing)

Pairing two Sims with one tendency is not enough, they must share the same way to satisfy their tendency.

All these points are vital for players who want to guide Sims through their life, letting the Sims be controlled by the AI most of the time.

Oh that was pretty cool. Would like to see that level for an MMO or even SRPG games.

Character creation is probably 25% of the fun for me. If I am on the border of purchasing a game the character creation aspects will make or break the purchase for me.

I have to connect to my character in a game - if I can't connect I won't enjoy it. Same thing for a book. I need some form of bond to the main character. The exception being RTS games where it doesn't matter.

However not really a SIMS fan for the most part. Not really in to simulator style games.

Back
Top Bottom