Risen 3 Cox, spoiler wanted

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
A question if one knows.
Taranis, Cox. If you can remember it's a mage who goes to operate a certain mine once you clear it.
Now this Cox dude says when you meet him for the first time that he'll go knifethrowing against you when he's training it. I totally forgot about this in the first game, but now as I'm replaying, now I remembered that I never played against him. And no matter what I do, again, he's never by the board.

What should I do to make him play against me (before he leaves for the mine)?
Is there a trigger like with Frink who is available for drinking game only after you solve his 4 pouches quest, not before?

EDIT:
Sorry, mods please kick this into spoilers part, I missed to switch there and posted it into general Risen subsection. :(

You have to beat him at knife throwing before you inform Magnus that you cleared that mine. I think Cox is the one who plays in the early morning hours, but I might be wrong about that.

There's no trigger to get him to play, you just need to be there at the right time. There are 3 guardians who play the knife game. Cox, Wells, and a third guy who's name I can't remember.

Fwiw, there's no special reward for beating him.

Just be patient, and eventually you'll get to play with Cox. (C'mon, you had to see that one coming.) ;)

The third guy is Stanley.
And I will never ever forget his name as I've pixelhunted the whole bloody mage's guild, played against him 8734657836 times, KOed him, dunno what I didn't do - to get the bloody key for his chest. And then I read somewhere - the chest can be open only if you go Demon Hunters route.
For god's sakes, what kind of design is that. Anyway, it's the only ingame chest that depends on the faction you chose to play, so if you just have to open them all (and I do) play or replay the game as Demon Hunter.

But seriously, I don't remember knife game vs Cox in my first run although I did clear the mine and he went there. Maybe I'm not remembering it well. We'll see.

I played Cox yesterday and it was early morning iirc. If you get a perfect 25 points they make an extra comment, which was cool.

Seems there's a bug in my game or it's per some odd design.

It's not just Cox I couldn't make to play a minigame against me (he went into the mine I've cleared), now Downes also won't do armwrestling (and I've managed to do everything needed to enter the main building and also I've triggered his miniquest after looting mages' chests).

What I did differently from the first game?
- Didn't visit Tacarigua (linked to mages' quests)
- I was already Demon Hunter when I came on Taranis

I'll of course report all of this on official DS forum in my thread about bugs. It's not some huge omission, honestly, but in my case it's annoying when I know it should be there but is not happening.

[EDIT]
Just (re)started the game and Downes was waiting for me to armwrestle. Go figure.

It still doesn't make me feel better much as Cox went mines. :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom