Spell Checkers & other useful forum tools

I hate that spell checker.... same thing for the spellchecker in outlook.. my English just become worse and worse after starting to use those tools!

These spell checkers are correcting only single words not the sentences.
Why should your English get worse by using them?

Because I don't pay attention while writing because I know it'll be corrected later on.... so when I need to write without spellchecker there are a lot of silly little mistakes... and I can't even remmember how to spell some words that I rememberded before.

Because I don't pay attention while writing because I know it'll be corrected later on…. so when I need to write without spellchecker there are a lot of silly little mistakes… and I can't even remmember how to spell some words that I rememberded before.

My spell checker just told me this:

remember
remembered

:lol:

Ah, but spell checker can be easily confused. Your knot going to no for sure weather ewe got it write or knot.

Last edited:
I think it was Charlie Brown or Linus of Peanuts fame who after one of the countless spelling competitions said somethig like "awl thys spelling is harrd on my ies", but i havent found the reference.

pibbur who notices th4t som of the typos u c r intentional. AND WHO IS ANNOYED BYT THAT. Which may be silly. And who was amused by the nut's elegant correct misspellings.

Last edited:
You guys made me think of a joke in the Return of the daily smile thread that I've read some time ago.

I googled it since I didn't want to spend all evening looking for it.

The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the EU rather than German which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty's Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a five year phase-in plan that would be known as "Euro-English".

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of the "k". This should klear up konfusion and keyboards kan have 1 less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f". This will make words like "fotograf" 20% shorter.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be ekspekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkorage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of the silent "e"s in the language is disgraseful, and they should go away.

By the fourth year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v". During ze fifz year, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.

After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi to understand ech ozer. Ze drem vil finali kum tru! And zen world!

I think that the best tools to learn how to write a second language is to use a dictionary, a thesaurus, read a lot, etc.

Even though I've started speaking and writing English around 30 years ago, I always use them tools.

Wether it is in French or English, when I read a book, I always look up words that I don,t understand in a good 'ol Dictionary, Antonyms and Synonyms and Thesaurus Encyclopedia.

I find it very important to have good writing skills. It's very important in your native toungue and a bonus in a second one. When I read chaoticly written litterature, it hurts my brain and I stop reading because of frustration.

Last edited:
I like the euro English plan. Looks more like dutch at a certain point

Like books of the new sun ? It hurts my brain but that is because it uses advanced English structures. Best way to learn a language is to go abroad and use it all day

Back
Top Bottom