The possible reason some people dislike RPG

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
I know a lot people in RL, some adore RPG, some just like it and some can't stand a thought about that genre.

At first I thought those who can't stand the genre have a language barrier problem. Yea… But then, it can't be true. They do speak (read) the language fine. So it's not that.
But if it's not that, what is? What's so complicated in RPG to enjoy it?

And why those same people play Candy Crush Saga, Sims Freeplay, Flappy Bird and all those things I find utterly dull, boring and annoying?

Maybe the reason is a certain algae virus found in humans.
http://newsroom.unl.edu/releases/20...archers+identify+DNA+of+algae+virus+in+humans

The researchers, whose paper appeared Oct. 27 in Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, found DNA resembling that of an algae-native chlorovirus while taking throat swabs from healthy subjects during a study on cognitive functioning.
Once subjects completed the original study's cognitive assessments, the researchers also discovered that those participants carrying DNA of the chlorovirus — Acanthocystis turfacea chlorella virus 1, or ATCV-1 — performed measurably worse than those without it on tests of visual processing and spatial orientation.

If any of this is true, the medicine will develop a treatment in next few years.
And after that… Since noone will buy their boredom-o-rama any more, EA will go bankrupt. :evilgrin:

If any of this is true, the medicine will develop a treatment in next few years. And after that… Since noone will buy their boredom-o-rama any more, EA will go bankrupt. :evilgrin:

I can wish. ;)

Though...you can't cure stupid. RPG's tend to appeal to a higher intellectual bracket, and I think a lot of people like cheap stupid entertainment. These are often the same people that watch reality television.

Yes, I said it.

What a bunch of arrogant and ignorant bullshit.

I guess that means some people are stupid because they prefer going to the movies instead of playing Chess? Maybe people who enjoy having sex are stupid because they don't sit down and put together Jigsaw puzzles instead?

No, I know, how about people who're incredibly good at painting - but don't enjoy riddles or math? Yeah, they're stupid too.

Sometimes, it doesn't actually mean anything that people like one thing more than the other. Sometimes, people get into hobbies for completely incidental reasons. Sometimes, people have a challenging real life - and they don't want to go home and have an intellectual challenge in front of their computer screens, they just want to relax in front of the TV.

Sometimes, it helps not to put people in little boxes called "stupid" because you can't imagine another reason for their activities.

Instead, observe people rather than create a fantasy about them, and question your need for judging them.

Though…you can't cure stupid.
Errr… I didn't mean this is the cause of low IQ.
Although, sure, if that could be cured, and they kickstart a project, I'll back it! :D
Anything that could help EA's destruction. Anything! :evilgrin:

The algae virus (still perhaps!) seems to cause cognitive problems and, well, I imagine that if that's true RPGs perhaps seem too complex for "infected" ones so they rather play Farmville instead of, dunno. Divinity:OS for example. ;)

Next headline:
"EA, King.com ltd and Zynga paid billions for not to research this algae virus further".

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25349393

Seems like the newspapers are making too big a deal out of the results. One study, modest effects on only a few cognitive tests (what tests were used and how where they administered?) and we don't know what other possible variables besides demographics that could separate the two groups.

IQ is a construct based on normalized distribution where 50% must have lower score so I assume low IQ has no cure :). However theres something called Flynn-effect where people seem to become smarter and smarter over the generations. Possibly due to the better food and intellectual stimulation. It is most noteworthy in poorer areas of the world and seems to have ended in Denmark. As a long time believer of danish inferiority this makes perfect sense.

Ohhh, Dart enjoyed writing that. XD Delight seeps out from between his every word. ;)

I bet you enjoyed calling non-RPG fans stupid just as much ;)

I think it's easy for an American like me to be jaded with people that consume reality television and don't ever read books (and think video games just means Angry Birds and Bejeweled).

I shall take your chastisement humbly and do my best not to be as arrogant in the future. ^.^

I think it's easy for an American like me to be jaded with people that consume reality television and don't ever read books (and think video games just means Angry Birds and Bejeweled).

I shall take your chastisement humbly and do my best not to be as arrogant in the future. ^.^

Don't change your position unless you believe it's incorrect ;)

Playing RPGs represents a serious investment of time and mental resources, even to fans of the genre.

To people who're casual or mainstream gamers, it can be a major obstacle to appreciate the return on such an investment.

I can't blame people for not wanting to dedicate themselves on that level to a computer game - especially if they're not really familiar with the genre.

Even the smartest people have things to learn, and I hope you and I still get to discover new things and open ourselves up to something we've never cared for in the past.

Not being there yet doesn't make our present disposition stupid - or lacking in whatever bullshit genetical component based on an "infection".

Even the smartest people have things to learn, and I hope you and I still get to discover new things and open ourselves up to something we've never cared for in the past.

A life without that discovery would be dull indeed. I hope so as well...

I can wish. ;)

Though…you can't cure stupid. RPG's tend to appeal to a higher intellectual bracket, and I think a lot of people like cheap stupid entertainment. These are often the same people that watch reality television.

Yes, I said it.

This is about at bad as your redneck comment in another thread.

I guess everyone is fair game except women because then your a misogynist.

You should extend the respect to others that you expect to receive yourself.

This is about at bad as your redneck comment in another thread.

I guess everyone is fair game except women because then your a misogynist.

You should extend the respect to others that you expect to receive yourself.

You must not have read the rest of the conversation. I thought I admitted that I was being unfair.

And in case I didn't, then I'll say it here. I was talking without thinking, and being unfair.

Edit: I do not regret attacking misogynists, and I'll continue to do so, because I think they deserve to be torn apart by wild, starving, rabies-infested wolves.

And if rednecks don't like it, then they'll just have to kill me! With their guuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnz.

Last edited:
I know some people really really really hate math and anything math related, perhaps there is a correlation of that and not liking RPGs (which many times require making decisions involving numbers).

I guess that means some people are stupid because they prefer going to the movies instead of playing Chess?
Don't be ridiculous! They could be going to see a movie about chess, which would be just fine.

Don't be ridiculous! They could be going to see a movie about chess, which would be just fine.

Which reminds me of an underrated Christopher Lambert movie called Knight Moves ;)

Ok, it's not exactly great - but I'm strangely fond of it!

I know some people really really really hate math and anything math related, perhaps there is a correlation of that and not liking RPGs (which many times require making decisions involving numbers).

I love RPGs and dislike math. As in, I'm not bad at it - I just think it's incredibly dull. Solving math problems is like the worst kind of grind in the worst kind of MMO. All you do is watch numbers go up and down for ages.

You must not have read the rest of the conversation. I thought I admitted that I was being unfair.

And in case I didn't, then I'll say it here. I was talking without thinking, and being unfair.

Edit: I do not regret attacking misogynists, and I'll continue to do so, because I think they deserve to be torn apart by wild, starving, rabies-infested wolves.

And if rednecks don't like it, then they'll just have to kill me! With their guuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnz.

Still perceiving people from an extremely emotional position ;)

You have so much to learn. Perhaps some reality TV about reality people is in order? ;)

I love RPGs and dislike math. As in, I'm not bad at it - I just think it's incredibly dull. Solving math problems is like the worst kind of grind in the worst kind of MMO. All you do is watch numbers go up and down for ages.

That's basically the premise of all RPGs :)

That's basically the premise of all RPGs :)

Thats what I thought as well. In fact most of the old school CRPGS are maths problems to be solved. That what the fun bit. They try to hide the maths but nevertheless you are solving maths problems when you figure something out in them.

This is interesting. True with people I know.
If plain hates math -> dislikes RPG.
If loves math, or if indifferent to it, or if doesn't care for math at all -> doesn't dislike RPG.

But I can't say it's like that globally.
We should check on some mathhaters site if any of them play RPGs. ;)

Back
Top Bottom