DA:I Codex is trolling... Like it's a new thing...

Dragon Age: Inquisition

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Codex says that Denuvo DRM, that's definetly DRM no matter what they say but is protecting another DRM, is bad for your SSD.
As it reads/writes data on the disc in enormous amounts.

Seems that codexians, unlike of course me and all other people who don't do that, are installing games on their SSDs.
And now, because they just have to install games on SSD, Denuvo is suddenly guilty for their problems.
I wouldn't really care to mention this at all, if they didn't sent a member to stir the pot on EA answers HQ:
http://answers.ea.com/t5/Dragon-Age...hard-drives/m-p/3995427/highlight/false#M2083

Of course, I've instantly replied.
I didn't stop to hate EA, it's just that this is rediculous.

Just to say… I have 240 Gb SSD and not in my wildest dream I would install a game on it. Any game. It's halfempty.
Not only that, I have 1TB HDD aside where I didn't even bother to format half of it as I have space to waste no matter how many games are already installed on it. Pic (it or it didn't happen):
pic.jpg

Of course, I'm not buying and installing those unoptimized crapware like new Wolfenstein that need 50Gb of space. Codexian probably do. On SSD. Meh.

I can't say much because since I use my (tiny) SSD for my C:, then naturally all my games want to use it to store the data they normally store in My Documents. I tried to make my games store my stuff in one of my other drives, but…that didn't work too well.

So it seems my SSD is being filled up with game junk too…:-/

But I can't imagine ever actually installing a game on my SSD.

OK, Someone please tell the old man, what's an SSD? I hate it when people use all these letters and expect others to know what they mean!! :)

Solid state drive, Corwin. :)

Aa...sorry, Thrasher xD

Never heard of one before; it's definitely a new term for me. Thanks guys.

This doesn't make any sense. Games are not writing anything to their installation location in normal use, certainly not if they are installed in your Program Files directory - they don't run with permission to write there. There is no problem at all with installing most games on an SSD - the game will only ever read those files after installation, which does no harm to an SSD. If the game writes data or decrypted files anywhere, it will be in a user data or program data folder on your Windows system disk.

If your games are on an HDD, and your Windows system disk is an SSD, it's the system SSD that will be getting written to, if anything. Most games wouldn't do much writing at all.

Corwin it's a "gagdet" pretty expensive, but speeds up your OS (windows) loading.
On my machine windows start before the monitor shows it! A few seconds needed.

But it's "cells" die after certain number of writes. Big number though so no fear it'll fart just after a week or a month of use.
Estimated lifetime with normal use is 10 years. On current technology, of course we can expect longerlasting (and bigger) ones in the future.

We do know that Denuvo protects game.exe(s) by crypting/decrypting it all the time while it's running and codexians are not completely crazy saying it can burn SSD. What's completely wrong there is putting your game executables on SSD. Yes, you *can* do that, but for what purpose? Oh, so that the game loads 1 second faster? Riiiiiiiiiight…

I install everything on SSD's. I have a HDD just for back up. If the SSD's die I will buy more.

I will never go back to HDD's.

ROTFL

Well… Some people are hotel owners so… They can afford SSD every week.
I… Can't.

It doesn't matter which drive you install the game files on. See what I posted above. If Denuvo is doing loads of writes, which would be very strange, it will be on your Windows system drive.

No, tile company owner:).

True it's not cheap. I got my first SSD for the witcher that had terrible load times and the difference was night and day. i was sold from that day forward.

Joxer is right though you will not see any improvement to FPS at all, only to loading times. So it's definitely a luxury but a great one imo.

Here is a utube video showing the difference in load times. The difference is very noticable. It's an older SSD also so new one are even faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQpiZ44GyYU

Never heard of one before; it's definitely a new term for me. Thanks guys.

The standard Hard Disk Drive (HDD) has a rotating disk and moving mechanical parts. The Solid-State Drive uses non-volatile memory integrated circuits - just like the ones you have inside your usb or flash drive.

The SSD advantages include low power (no motors for the disk spindle), and relatively faster access times and hence people tend to store the operating system on SSD drives, and data files on standard HDDs.

Hey, while I'm not a fan of DRM or this new anti-tamper denuvo protection(it costs money to license and it's efficacy questionable), the codex is being a bit silly… Even if Denuvo were as bad as they claim, modern consumer-grade SSDs can/will live beyond a petabyte+ of writes before burning out. [SOURCE] FWIW, if you have sufficient SSD capacity it will pay dividends in lower load times to install your games to it.

SSDs have been dropping in price precipitously, in fact just earlier today a 60gb corsair would have set you back ~$20 shipped a/mir. I'm sure black friday, or at a minimum cyber monday, will offer some affordable/cheap SSD options. At least I hope, I'm aiming to upgrade my 2x 120gb to 1x 500gb.

Last edited:
I looked into the claim made on the Codex. Makes no sense at all. I would say that a kiddie misunderstood what he was looking at on some system monitoring app. Nothing to worry about, IMHO.

Well considering at work we run SSDs for hosting SQL databases and QA/Packaging VMs in an enterprise environment, both which do a huge amounts of rewrites, I find their claim amusing.

To add to that, we have thousands of ultrabooks, all running encryption (government enterprise environment) software for over 2 years now. Our hard drive issues have actually become almost nonexistent.

Last edited:
It has been shown that even if you write continuously 24/24 to a SSD it will take >10 years before it even might fail.

I install everything on my 120 GB ssd, too lazy to do anything else

I install everything on my 120 GB ssd, too lazy to do anything else

120 GB? I'd run out of space within weeks. :)

That's why I haven't upgraded to a SSD yet. When I get one, it's going to be a 1TB drive, and those presently cost more than what I'm willing to spend on one.

Back
Top Bottom