DA:I Codex is trolling... Like it's a new thing...

Dragon Age: Inquisition
That's why I haven't upgraded to a SSD yet. When I get one, it's going to be a 1TB drive
By that time you'll probably have 1TB DDR4 RAM and will want a drive with 100TB at least. :p

SSDs don't fail in one go like most mechanical drives. The more you write the smaller the disk will get. Also I wouldn't confuse DRM encryption wear with security encryption. If the DRM is making GBs of writes to protect the software, your SSD will suffer. The only question is by how much.

Looks like most SSDs go at about the 700TB mark.

SSDs don't fail in one go like most mechanical drives. The more you write the smaller the disk will get. Also I wouldn't confuse DRM encryption wear with security encryption. If the DRM is making GBs of writes to protect the software, your SSD will suffer. The only question is by how much.
[/URL].

I agree with that. Just to be clear - when I said the codex claim doesn't add up, I'm saying that the DRM encryption is not writing to disk at that level, if at all. They reckon it was writing 30GB in a short session. I think someone got a complex IO monitoring app to take a look at the EXE, and misunderstood what they were seeing.

And JDR - if you want a 1TB SSD, they're still pricey, but coming down fast.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-2-5-inch-Basic-Solid-State/dp/B00E3W16OU

Last edited:
I have a SSD and I install my games there, in fact, it's why I bought it. I would be very worried if some sort of DRM is killing my SSD, worried enough that I would look for a DRM-free version in pirate bay or something (still buying the game), which ironically is probably the reverse of what the game company would want people to do.

I have a SSD and I install my games there, in fact, it's why I bought it. I would be very worried if some sort of DRM is killing my SSD, worried enough that I would look for a DRM-free version in pirate bay or something (still buying the game), which ironically is probably the reverse of what the game company would want people to do.

Well you can look but you won't find a working one. It's been uncrackable thus far. That's probably why people are railing against it so hard.

Maybe we should put up something like this:

There are rumors going around that the Denuvo anti-tamper technology on Dragon Age: Inquisition and Lords of the Fallen is responsible for performing a massive amount of writes to hard disk, and therefore eroding the life of SSDs.

We think this is highly unlikely.

In the first place, this stems only from a post on a Russian forum. Someone has examined the IO activity of the LoF.exe, and claims that it is making hundreds of thousands of write operations to disk, in the order of tens of gigabytes. No credible source exists to support this.

Very possibly, someone has misunderstood what a complex system monitoring app has shown them - perhaps confusing memory activity for disk writes.

Games rarely write very much data to disk, and it would be pointless for the encryption technology to write to disk in this way.

From the Denuvo website:

"Does Denuvo Anti-Tamper constantly encrypt and decrypt data on storage media?"

No, Denuvo Anti-Tamper does not continuously encrypt and decrypt any data on storage media. To do so would be of no benefit in terms of security or performance.

"Does Denuvo Anti-Tamper affect my SSD or any other type of hard drives in any way?"

No. As mentioned before, Denuvo Anti-Tamper does not constantly read or write any data to storage media."

Source: http://www.denuvo.com/#page-4

Unless credible evidence emerges, we recommend that you treat this rumor as FUD.

EDIT: I removed double use of "no credible source" in the third paragraph. "Welcome to the Department of Redundancies Department." :p

Last edited:
I hate this facebook "like" feature on the site, but in this case, for the first time, I'm using it.

Thanks Ripper!

I sent it over to Myrthos to see what he has to say (since I'm not sure how something like that would/should be posted...)

Thanks, Ripper. :)

Sure. I also PMd Myrthos a link to this thread.

The Watch wouldn't want to post important tech advice based just on my say so. In terms of journalism, I think we'd just be saying "This is an extraordinary claim, with no credible evidence, and the company plainly states that this is not the case. It would not be rational to give it any credence at this time."

The lack of reports from people with HDDs complaining about constant hard drive thrashing while playing LoF or DAI speaks volumes about the veracity of the claim. Or is the source of these rumors bold enough to claim that only SSDs are affected for some reason?
Nah. Definitely seems like a FUD attempt by certain elements (h4XX0rs) to undermine this new DRM. Same strategy as with StarForce which was also never 100% proven to be harmful to hardware.

As for SSDs in general: I have been using them for a long time now for OS, programs and games starting around the time of the first Intel 128GB SSDs (when they became somewhat affordable that is).
Never had any real serious issues ever. I currently have two PCs and a laptop that I upgraded from HDD to SSD. All of my SSDs are ranging from 256GB to 1TB.
Most of them are Samsung 840 EVOs and I also got a Crucial m4.
The EVOs had a firmware bug recently where old data would cause reads to slow down to a crawl but once the bug was discovered and confirmed, Samsung addressed it in a firmware update and it has been fixed. No big deal.
Other than that, SSDs have been a flawless experience for me. Would never ever go back to a HDD for OS, programs and games. It's just so much smoother and more responsive.

I find this formulation of the topic very odd as most people definitively buy SSD for operating systems and games. Even for casual users SDD seems to be for using applications while regular hardrives are for storing things you rarely use. Applications today can take ages loading and SSD certainly helps here. I'd recommend everyone getting a decent SSD.

Just to say… I have 240 Gb SSD and not in my wildest dream I would install a game on it. Any game. It's halfempty.
You're just wasting your money and time not using the space on the SSD for games. Time for change!

Codex says…
You probably wanted to say "someone on the Codex quoted something from Russian site".

Although you seem to think that investigating rumors is bad, it will probably console you that "Codex also says", or better, someone else on the Codex quoted some tables that disprove this rumor (source BSN).

You're just wasting your money and time not using the space on the SSD for games. Time for change!
Not really. :D
It was a waste of cash I admit. I bought 240 instead of 120 one. And even with that 120 one I'd have plenty of space.
With that cash I could have bought 87234568734685 horse armors. :(

Back
Top Bottom