Deus Ex: Human Revolution - FoV Option in PC Version

There's a pretty chance to get the same feeling when being a cannon driver in a vehicle that's being piloted by the AI in Star Wars Battlefront I ...

TUROK was coherent. Graphics fine, almost bugfree, decent voiceacting. It was the traditional 60% first-person shooter that did what it intended to do, without any extras. Some brief and forgetable entertainment. At that, it ended up in the same realm as BlackSite: Area 51 and Clive Barkers: Jericho.

I reserve "top 10 worst games" to when you need something like sociology or social psychology to even begin to explain how a game even reached the market, and that study is more interesting than the game itself. Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods is for example a very interesting game that you really cannot explain if you do not know it's background.

I would agree with all that. If you avoid crappy games though and somehow ended up with Turok then you would probably say it was the worst ever.

I'm currently replaying Descent on an old Pentium 1 MMX I found on the side of the road and that can make the head swim after a while, but I've never experienced the motion sickness people talk about.

What I am having trouble with ATM is my back - not surprising I guess after all these years gaming + working on a PC all day too. So forget the FOV option, I want the Deus Ex team to include periodic reminders to shake out the kinks. It could be included in the game's dialog - "Stand now Adam and touch your toes three times; saving the world is important, but so is your posture."

Strangely, the only 3D game that made me sick is from a time in which shooters weren't even in real 3D- I am talking about id's castle Wolfenstein. Something about the way you slid through these blue-walled levels did terible things to my brain and stomach. Mind that this was not because 3D gaming was new to me. At that time I had already played Doom and Ultima Unterworld.

but I've never experienced the motion sickness people talk about.
I had never experienced it either, until I played Mirror's Edge. The first time it took about an hour for the sickness to kick in, but after that, I couldn't stand the game for more than 5 minutes.

I once read that "3D sickness" can have something to do with angles [of objects] in a game not corresponding to what our brain and sensory "mechanisms" expect from Nature.

I think that motion sickness can also have a similar cause like the sickness people can have in moving cars :

The eyes say : "Movement"
The rest of the body says : "Nope"

I guess that motion sickness could be something like that.

No One Lives Forever was the worst for me, too bad because I kind of liked it too. Half Life 2 was a problem for me as well but not nearly as bad, still between the motion sickness and shitty gameplay ( yes, I said it, can't figure out why everyone loves this game ) I only played it a few hours total. Borderlands I'm very grateful there's an ini setting for it.

I think once upon a limited time FOV was devs trying to squeeze a few more fps out of their engines, of course it made a lot less of a difference with everyone on a 4:3 monitor at the time too. Now days, when a game like Borderlands defaults to ~75 degrees and accepted 16:9 is something like 104, you can usually attribute that to a console limitation leftover.

The good news for DE:HR is if FOV is a setting, maybe they did a good job with the rest of the UI and settings for PC too. Gosh let's hope so.

PS: Head bob is the worst, instant puker for me. Can NOT play a game with head bob in it.

Back
Top Bottom