Gamasutra - Linearity: A Necessary RPG Element?

Arcanum is a sandbox RPG which has an interesting story (at times). I think the difference between Elder Scrolls RPGs and Dragon Age RPGs is really not that big. It's definitely possible to make The Ultimate RPG which would combine the best of both worlds by allowing the player to walk freely around the world map in Dragon Age (like you could in Arcanum, just not that random). Basically, what I'm saying is: Risen when you're walking around the world map; Dragon Age when you're not. It would be totally awesome, only, of course, it would require a lot more work from the developer.

DLCs prove you wrong.

And Gothics aren't plagued by bad writing…?

No, just poor translations. Big difference.

The German versions of the Gothics/Risen are generally well-written, and have a very unique style. I loved it when I started playing the series. The only problem I have is that I am slowly getting tired of that style.

Since Fallout 3, Dragon Age...

Are you kidding me?
No.
Besides, I said "generally" and I suppose you know what that word means, right?
DLCs are getting more and more popular, I imagine soon every major game will get to have them (RPGs especially).

DLCs are getting more and more popular, I imagine soon every major game will get to have them (RPGs especially).

I'm not talking about future speculation, though. I was referring to present day conditions.

Personally, I've seen little but cheap efforts designed to take advantage of "poor consumer impulse control" with DLC. Even the exceptions have done little to evolve the games - and certainly not to the same extent that we've seen in MMOs with a long lifespan.

Nah, two different beasts in my opinion - but there's plenty of room for improvement, that's for sure.

Which is what I fear myself.

My relief was great as an official statement was made that Drakensang 2 will have no DLC :D - although someone even wanted some ! O_O

Yes, really: Someone asked in the official forums for DLC for Drakensang 2 or for following projects …

The point seems to be that some people seem to consider DLCs so "cool" they are even willing to pay for them …

There are positives to DLC:
- Small add-ons that expand the original game for a reasonable price that is also high-profit for publishers ... i.e. win-win.

.... actually that is the main one.

Everything else benefits the publishers.

It's win-win if DLCs have as much content as your average expansion does (assuming one DLC costs 5 dollars and can last 4 hours - 5 DLCs = expansion pack). But you also have to pay a monthly fee in order to play an MMO, so it boils down to the same thing.

It depends , an expansion can alter many thinks gameplay wise a DLC is just more content ; now when it comes to linear "2 runs" games after you finish it why buying any mid-game content like extra missions or artefacts or companions?

Back
Top Bottom