Starcraft 2 - is the pricing fair?

Seems SC2 will be much cheaper in Russia, only about 1/2 the price of the European version in fact. Their multiplayer will be limited to Russian servers though, unless they purchase an upgrade.

http://www.ggmania.com/?smsid=28821

And they can only play for one year or smth like that. After that they have to pay a monthly fee. Or choose to upgrade.

Wait a minute... is this what I'm reading...

They took a game, which the original's continued popularity is based on LAN play and multiplayer...

Are charging more than standard for a copy
Removed LAN from the game entirely
Effectively split it into 3 games that should have been 1, triple charging people
And are going to charge a monthly fee for multiplayer?

And you think the effect of Activision raping Blizzard won't be seen until Diablo 3?

They took a game, which the original's continued popularity is based on LAN play and multiplayer…

LAN play might have been bigger back in the day, but times change and so do internet connections.
Are charging more than standard for a copy

Marginally.

Effectively split it into 3 games that should have been 1, triple charging people

No, 3 campaigns - and they have the power to decide what it "should" be.

All races will be there, and supposedly a very long campaign with tons of improvements.

Personally, I care more about the quality and quantity of the content - then the number of campaigns.

And are going to charge a monthly fee for multiplayer?

I haven't heard about this?

And you think the effect of Activision raping Blizzard won't be seen until Diablo 3?

I was talking about effects on the game itself, rather than the business side.

Afaik it's only in Russia that there will be a monthly charge for multiplayer, and that starts after one year.

As far as the $60 price tag is concerned, it sucks, but I think we'll be seeing more of that from now on. We can thank Activision and Modern Warfare 2 for getting that started.

Which would be a normal price - at least here in Germany - for a full-price game.

Depends what you like. If you enjoy sandbox type exploration, then it's definitely worth it. If you want a deep, thought provoking story, then look the other way.

I haven't fully read all the posts, and while I'm not that big on the idea of splitting the game in 3 parts... I think the main argument that people use to blast Bliz in this is probably unfounded.

What I mean is, accord to what I have read so far EACH separate game will hold 25-30 missions PER campaign....While the original starcraft had 10 missions per race for a total of 3.

So basically you'll still get pretty much the same amount of mission for each "game" you buy. This will simply give them more time to develop a deeper story, more background about everything and what not.

As for removing the lan option, well although I never play using LAN solely anymore, I don't really like the fact they removed it either =/. But I can't say I'm really surprised... Im pretty sure they did it to try and dissuade some pirate by "forcing" them to have legit games if they want to log on to B.Net. Quite a few games do that nowadays.

What I mean is, accord to what I have read so far EACH separate game will hold 25-30 missions PER campaign….While the original starcraft had 10 missions per race for a total of 3.

Yes, that's IF Blizzard is being 100% honest with that statement, and that remains to be seen. Hopefully they're not padding those numbers with short missions.

Still, part of the draw of RTS games for me has always been the variety of playing multiple campaigns for the single-player. I'm not sure how playing one campaign for the entire game is going to turn out.

To me, it's nothing more than a very effective way to milk the crowd. Especially Korean crowd(s).

It smells like "episodic" to me, like the recent Sam & Max Adventures.

I think Bliz messed up BIGTIME with how they've evolved (looking at WoW specifically), but I'll be surprised if Starcraft 2 isn't a quality game all the same.

Huh? They've made the most stupendously successful game that has ever been made with WOW, one that has not only made an obscene fortune but one that continues to generate so much money that they have absolute commercial freedom to spend as long as they want over everything else.

How have they messed up at all, let alone BIGTIME?

Huh? They've made the most stupendously successful game that has ever been made with WOW, one that has not only made an obscene fortune but one that continues to generate so much money that they have absolute commercial freedom to spend as long as they want over everything else.

How have they messed up at all, let alone BIGTIME?

Consider that my way of measuring success has nothing to do with money.

If it was Blizzard, I'd be confident in a decent RTS. It's not Blizzard anymore. It's Activision/Blizzard, and screwing customers and employees is job #1 there.

BTW, Korea has rated SC2 at MA18 (or some equivalent). Which means all the little kiddies will absolutely have to play it. :D But, that might limit sales, depending on laws there (I wouldn't know, but some countries are getting stricter on games than they due alcohol).

*edit* didn't see Dart's post*

While I have no use for the WoW grind, what criteria are you using? As an RPG, it is a unmitigated failure. It's not an RPG though, it's an MMOG. The RPG part is mostly ignored in marketing. Mr T, however, is not.

"I'm Mr T, and this is my night elf mohawk. What's your game?"

Besides - I saw at the RPC that there'll be a comic about/around StarCraft II.

Back
Top Bottom