Risen Something weird

k1000

Watchdog
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
A few days ago, I installed Windows 7 64 on a new SSD I just bought. I had before that windows XP 32. When I bought Risen a month ago, I had a 8800 GTX and my FPS was at around 30-32 FPS at max settings and resolution 1920x1200. I upgraded a few days after to a radeon 5870 and my FPS jumped to 50-55 FPS at the same settings.
Now that I've installed windows 7 64, I ve reinstalled Risen, and at the same settings than before, my FPS rarely exceed 30. I have the same hardware than before, except now, I also have an SSD . I hope not all games will be slower with Windows 7.
For reference, i have a core 2 duo e6700 at 2.66 ghz, radeon 5870 and 4 ghz of ddr2-800 ram.

Okay, I did some research and this is completely nuts! Some other people are having problems like this in windows 7 so if some of you installed the OS, check this out.
I went in msconfig --> boot --> advanced, and only 1 core was active!! I activated the other core, rebooted the system, and checked Risen out again with Fraps, and my FPS were back up between 40-50. This is crazy. How come Windows 7 only activated 1 core???
Can anybody else with Windows 7 check this out? Are all your cores active???

Interesting, had not heard of this one before. I was going to suggest running a Sandra mark on the SSD but apparently you found the issue.

BTW is W7 officially out? what is its memory footprint compared to XP? I was running about 180MB for the XP footprint. My Vista 64 footprint is a whopping 1.6GB. Good thing for 4GB RAM!

BTW is W7 officially out? what is its memory footprint compared to XP? I was running about 180MB for the XP footprint. My Vista 64 footprint is a whopping 1.6GB. Good thing for 4GB RAM!

Yes, Windows 7 is officially out. I never tried the Rtm build. Got my copy on october 22nd and waited for my SSd to arrive before installing it. Coming from XP, I like Windows 7, but like everything new, still need to get used to it. I still can't believe that Windows 7 deactivated one core! How many people has it arrived to without them noticing. If it weren t for me benchmarking Risen, I don't know if I would have noticed soon...
How do I check my memory footprint? I'll tell you large it is.

I don't know, but maybe the task manager still comes up if you press CTRL-ALT-DEL once.

Do you mean the memory footprint for Risen or for the OS itself? Vista is designed to precache commonly access programs/data to speed up access times. As such, it uses up a lot more memory, but it will free up that memory when something else needs it.

Risen on Win7 x84 (32bit, RTM version so this is not official version here) works perfectly. There is no framerate dropping or whatever. And not only Risen, but thousands of games. For example does anyone remember good old Crampionship Manager from 2001? This ooooooooooold game doesn't work on windows XP (without a modification so to say) but does work on Win7 x84!

So I can't help you. I can only say that 32bit windows 7 RTM version has no problems at all.

I have Win7 32 with a quad core intel chip . I checked and sure enough, only 1 core is running. Strange. Thanks for the tip.

I remember reading in the newest PCGames (German Version) that they tested a few of the latest AAA-Games on XP and on Win 7 and they were all faster on XP.

Back
Top Bottom