Torchlight?

I had a conversation the other day wondering how much Torchlight would eat into Diablo 3's sales? Since I got Torchlight, that niche in my gaming library has been refilled for the next 3-5 years. As only a casual Diablo fan, I'm probably not going to buy D3 now. At $5-10 I'm guessing they sold a lot of copies, how many of those casual hack&slash players are going to be happy with Torchlight and just not feel like playing the "same game" when Diablo 3 finally comes out?

Torchlight is more like an opener while gamers are waiting for the release of Diablo 3. it may well whet their appetite after playing Torchlight, which as you may realise by now is somewhat lightweight. the list is long but the most obvious ones are lack of character depth and no multiplayer. if Blizzard successfully plugs that gap then D3 will go a long way in sales records.

Same here, I've been looking at new monitors for over a month now.

Yeah 1024x768 is pretty darn low, my friends make fun of me for playing at 1280x1024. :)

HA! I thought mine was bad!! Hahaha, 1280 x 1024, haha - oh wait. :)

Been looking too but I think at this point I should just spring for a new PC. But I've been out of the loop for so long I have no clue what to get as far as CPU OR GPU.

Last time I checked the fastest processor was a 3.0 GHZ P4 Extreme so it's been a while.
And last graphics card I bought was a Geforce 7800GS to play Oblivion in 2006!

Been looking too but I think at this point I should just spring for a new PC. But I've been out of the loop for so long I have no clue what to get as far as CPU OR GPU.

Do you normally go with a store-bought system, or build your own?

You might want to look at AMD's Phenom II line, very fast CPUs for their price. Of course you would also need a new Mobo and RAM. Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Do you normally go with a store-bought system, or build your own?

You might want to look at AMD's Phenom II line, very fast CPUs for their price. Of course you would also need a new Mobo and RAM. Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Used to build my own but last system was a Dell PC my friend sold me at 1/2 price which was a good deal.

Cool, I'll look into that CPU, thanks.

Just dreading doing all the research - years ago I used to visit tech sites daily and keep up with reviews and benchmark tests, now I have absolutely no clue.

Good to know AMDs are still a good value.

Just dreading doing all the research - years ago I used to visit tech sites daily and keep up with reviews and benchmark tests, now I have absolutely no clue.
Something comes along and you suddenly realize you've become your tech-dense parents... Then you realize it's more a situation where priorities shift and once you fall behind it's just not worth the time and effort to truly catch up. And finally (I think, as I'm just now getting to this phase) you just punt and let your kids teach you what you need to know.

Back to topic, one thing Torchlight does well is allowing you to stop at any time. I hated how Diablo forced you to play to certain points or start over. With the Wild Dogs, it's not unusual for a glorious 2 hour block of prime gaming time to be chopped into 3 or 4 staggering bursts of 10 minutes or so, and Torchlight doesn't penalize me for it.

Something comes along and you suddenly realize you've become your tech-dense parents… Then you realize it's more a situation where priorities shift and once you fall behind it's just not worth the time and effort to truly catch up. And finally (I think, as I'm just now getting to this phase) you just punt and let your kids teach you what you need to know.

Back to topic, one thing Torchlight does well is allowing you to stop at any time. I hated how Diablo forced you to play to certain points or start over. With the Wild Dogs, it's not unusual for a glorious 2 hour block of prime gaming time to be chopped into 3 or 4 staggering bursts of 10 minutes or so, and Torchlight doesn't penalize me for it.

Yay, thank you dte for stating our priorities so nicely. Geez, after 4 kids, I just felt that all those pregnancy hormones had eroded my thought processes rendering me unable to keep up with all the tech stuff :D My husband and I have noticed (as have our kids) our inability to finish a sentence. Our kids have gotten quite good at finishing them for us *snicker*

Regarding Diablo 2, I agree wholeheartedly. You couldn't just quit. You had to find portals and such. Of course, I remember fighting Andariel and feeding my daughter (which may explain why she was such a volatile baby:lol:) I found a way to work around some of those pick-up-and-play issues hehe.

I've only messed with Torchlight so far but did play Fate and the ease with which you can just jump in and out is great.

Something comes along and you suddenly realize you've become your tech-dense parents… Then you realize it's more a situation where priorities shift and once you fall behind it's just not worth the time and effort to truly catch up. And finally (I think, as I'm just now getting to this phase) you just punt and let your kids teach you what you need to know.

Heh, good point... but I'm still proud of the fact that I'm probably still more knowledgeable than my 15 year old. :) Actually makes me feel great when she asks for help with something and I'm able to figure it out for her!

She'll leave me behind soon though I'm sure - attending a specialized science high school and learning Java and all kinds of math I've long forgotten about, hehe.

What I find is that while I still have loads more fundamental technology knowledge than most kids, it is the shifting emphasis ... I might keep up with Facebook / Twitter / texting and so on ... but it is entirely different way than the kids.

Had my first death over the weekend. 100% inattention. After several floors of being utterly untouchable, it's easy to forget to keep an eye on the health bar once the critters can scratch again. I can see where some of the battles I've had would be real nailbiters on a higher difficulty.

I could see Torchlight becoming a solid casual game for me once I finish it. Much like FastCrawl, it will sit on the harddrive forever and every few weeks I'll fire it up for an hour or two of enjoyment without being obligated to a minute more since Torchlight will be easy to pick back up after extended absence.

I couldnt get into normal mode because I feel the death penalty is not nearly severe enough and I got the feeling of "whats the point? Ill die and resurrect at the begining of the level since the monsters are cleared out up to the point that I died, and Ill lose some insignificant amount of gold that I will just get back in the next hallway"

Then I started playing in hard/hardcore mode and love it. It feels almost nostalgic, like Im in that old 80's arcade, slipped a quarter in the slot, and got my one guy to try to get as far as I could in the game. If I died, Id slip another quarter into the game and start back at the beginning to see if I could get alittle farther than the last guy, with an added bonus of getting to wear some of the old gear found by my predecessors. Of course Ill never ever ever see the Shadow Vault playing this way, as even on hard difficulty Ive yet to make it past the 2nd glyph room of the Estherian Ruins (dungeon lvl 11ish or so I think, toon level 11)

OK, I finished the game, but it's not exactly finished. There's a new dungeon that opened up over in the graveyard. I don't know how deep it goes yet, but the quest givers have new quests to offer after I completed the first pair, so there must be something there. We'll see.

I had a good time, particularly given the $10 price tag.

OK, I finished the game, but it's not exactly finished. There's a new dungeon that opened up over in the graveyard. I don't know how deep it goes yet, but the quest givers have new quests to offer after I completed the first pair, so there must be something there. We'll see.

I had a good time, particularly given the $10 price tag.

Thats the Shadow Vault. Its got an unlimited depth

OK, you hated Fate … so I assume you aren't a huge action-RPG fan, since all the stuff you ask is pretty much a summation of the sub-genre …

Torchlight is a pure action-RPG, and is clearly derived from Fate as Diablo 2 is from Diablo. If you hate Fate you'll hate Torchlight.
I was playing Fate when some technical problems drag me to Torchlight. I played the beginning of Torchlight demo and you are right, the base is Fate. Many details come from Fate and not Diablo. The more important, the whole Pet system and all its details, is the good design element of Fate and comes fully from Fate, and that is enough to make a real difference with Diablo 2.

There are many tiny details also coming from Fate and not the Diablo series, the fame system, the pure Dungeon approach saving the trouble to design outdoor and outside world, the bet shop (or did Diablo 2 had it?), the ability to take back items or gems, the focus on items identification, the random enchanting, and more.

But there are three important elements that drag Torchlight closer to Diablo 2 than was Fate:
  • The class system in Fate was no class but general skills and spells plus base attributes you could increase at each level, and you had to specialize your skills choices to survive better in the Dungeon. Torchlight offer 3 different classes and each has 3 skill trees quite like Diablo 2.
  • In Fate levels are rather like in the classical Rogue like line, very random but also with the maze approach that has its plus when its about strategy/tactic and fleeing. In Diablo 2 the idea is still here but through the random the dungeons are more structured and distinct but also lost the maze approach. Torchlight SEEMS have give up the maze approach and with more complex levels the approach seems quite closer to Diablo 2, but with differences. I appreciate the use of heights in Torchlight, a real plus, but from the few I see the maze approach seems quite forgotten and for such games it's not necessary the best idea.
  • The story or story background is much more developed in Torchlight than in Fate. It's not CRPG and nor really like Diablo 2 but it makes it closer to Diablo 2 than Fate was.
Other than that, the global coherent cartoon approach is rather impressive. This is spread through all elements of the game and in fact it's even more coherent than Bioshock. The parallel with Bioshock is rather obvious, firstly there's few minor elements of Steampunk with pistols among magic bows and swords is quite like a wink. Also the graphic style is special and different to Bioshock but like in Bioshock there's a subtle choice of colors slightly washed and slightly grayed. This build the mood of a 50's like cartoon. But there isn't only graphics but also sounds and animations that reinforce the cartoon feeling quite a lot, and funnily the controls feel quite cartoon like too. I don't think the story follow the same approach but I cannot say as I didn't play enough the game.

For the real gameplay of the game I didn't play enough to know but it's clear that it has much more appeal than has a game like Fate, but this could be (or not) a superficial appeal. One thing in Fate keep me on it's how the game become somehow difficult at some point, past this point (roughly Dungeon level 9/10) this make me explore with a lot of caution each level of the Dungeon and the whole pet system increase a lot the value of the game at this point. First parts of Torshlight seems too easy, perhaps a higher difficulty mode would be a better choice even for the first play.

Deliberate double post:

EDIT: Dam with all this blahblah I forget why I came here: I have a lot of trouble with Torchlight commands, it seems not adapted to my non English keyboard. There's even some command I could not find, any advice about this?

I suppose I should use an OS setup forcing English Keyboard setup despite my keyboard is French. But that will be a lot of trouble.

French? Ah, it all begins to make sense now... ;)

As best as I can tell, you're screwed. Since the game is mostly mouse-driven, they seem to have skipped keyboard remapping as an option. Other than the space bar and an occasional number for some queued action, I used the screen icons instead of the keys anyway. Looking at the various files, there's no obvious mapping file, either. The config file is garbled and there doesn't seem to be enough there to be keymapping.

Sorry.

Thanks, I don't understand why so many games doesn't allow custom user setup for mouse and keyboard controls. I could use a little application to do my own mapping once I found where each key is, but that's tedious.

Well great game anyway, I enjoy it a lot. I am trying the hardcore mode, I know I'll cry but it was tempting. In fact I think the game could be started at hard mode, at least if you play the Vanquisher class.

Looking at the various files, there's no obvious mapping file, either. The config file is garbled and there doesn't seem to be enough there to be keymapping.

Weird their own settings file doesn't work? Now you mention that I did a check too and saw in settings.txt stuff like:
KEYMAP_1 :49
KEYMAP_2 :50
FKEYMAP_1 :112
FKEYMAP_2 :113
KEYMAP_AUTOMAPZOOMIN :221
KEYMAP_AUTOMAPZOOMOUT :219
KEYMAP_ZOOMIN :187
KEYMAP_ZOOMOUT :189
That's tedious setup but if this work someone (or even developers) could make a config adapted to a specific keyboard type.

I'll have to check when I get home, but I don't remember any settings.txt file. The only txt files on my install were the EULA and one other I can't recall right now (but not settings). Did you do digital download, or boxed copy? Although I don't usually like downloads, I was taken in by a $10 sale price, so DL I did.

I'll have to check when I get home, but I don't remember any settings.txt file. The only txt files on my install were the EULA and one other I can't recall right now (but not settings). Did you do digital download, or boxed copy? Although I don't usually like downloads, I was taken in by a $10 sale price, so DL I did.

settings.txt is in:
Documents and Settings\yourUserdId\Application Data\runic games\torchlight with all files like some logs, saves and mods.

I just give a check and an application related to keyboard seems to indicate they are the windows code, so the point is to find what are they on your keyboard. Keyboards as many computer stuff related followed various mixed logic ending is stuff close to absurdity so there's also a keyboard mapping used by windows to map each key on a command/character. The application I just download show those codes but it's a time limited demo.

Yes nice price that I didn't get, but there's no option yet for Torchlight as there's no boxed version.

EDIT: Here an application that seems show windows codes and which isn't time limited:
http://delphiforfun.org/programs/Utilities/KeyCodes.htm

Boxed copy is already available in the US. I thought it was coming out across the pond at the same time, but I'll trust you'd know better than I.

If you'd like, assuming I've got that file, I can backtrack the codes against my setup if that will help you. Let me know.

Back
Top Bottom