Sims 4 nails character creation!

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
First to say I'm not crazy about wasting time on changing character looks and usually I leave them on default.
The reason is simple. It's always too many badly organized menus, too many options that have yucky results and lack of the most important feature!

And after seeing this vid, I just want to do something like this in RPGs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZmtGfTj-to

Yes, unlike any other game out there, finally you can create a big butt character! Not just big boobs! :D

And you can change the way they walk, no need to see ME bones problem legs any more!

This still doesn't mean I'll buy Sims4. It depends what EA will do. Standalone DLCs that don't touch the main game? Deal. Gamechanging and unoptimized dozens of DLC? No buy.

But I hope at least future EA RPGs will have character creation like this one integrated. Maybe I got too much of coffee today and am just overreacting, but you tell me, wouldn't it be awsome this character creation system becomes a standard part of RPGs?

P.S. Hair still looks horrible.

I've never cared what my character looks like so I'd have no interest in seeing them waste time developing a dress up game for my RPG's.

That's just me though, I'm sure this would catch on like wildfire with the mainstream audience.

I would guess it would be great for MMO's.

Who cares for dress up and rags? ;)
But making your character's nose bigger, uglier and not plastic, you know, exactly like it's in RL (well… at least mine)… I want that! :D

I've never cared what my character looks like so I'd have no interest in seeing them waste time developing a dress up game for my RPG's.

That's just me though, I'm sure this would catch on like wildfire with the mainstream audience.

I would guess it would be great for MMO's.

I'm like you, in most games where I have to customize the appearance of a character, I just click 'randomize all'. But if I have to assign stats, skills and spells, now there I spend quite a bit of time, to me that's what 'character customization' means :)

That vid was hilarious. Mostly because the sim "feels the touch".

It also looks a lot like Black Desert character creator manipulation system.

Visual character creation is much less important to me than the stats/skills/abilities that make the character unique from a gameplay perspective.

Eve online has been using this for a while already and honestly it's a great tool, and as mentioned earlier Black Desert will be using it too. Much much easier and powerful than the traditional way of creating characters. I really enjoyed making my eve online character. I spent a lot of time playing around with the tool, making it over when I found something I didn't like etc. I can literally spend days on this before I actually start playing.
I'm sure I'm gonna be spending a lot of time with this tool on sims too..so glad to see them using this tool now ^_^

Damn you all!
I want this so badly I went to instabuy Black Desert and now I see it's a bloody MMO!
:D

Nyx, wait on Sims. I did get excited, I admit. But if they plan to continue with DLC milking and if it's not (finally) openworld, no reason to buy it. Yea, the rumor is it's openworld without rabbitholes, but just like Piranha Bytes, noone from Maxis wants to confirm anything. Maybe they're saving the big news for E3 in a few weeks?
The good thing that's confirmed is that pets are not in, god I hated that expansion, it's full of bugs, never fixed.

I'll get it..can't help myself! :blush: and it's pretty obvious they are gonna milk it as much as possible. They've done it so far, can't see them stopping now. But when it comes to add-on packs I'll just get what look interesting, like supernatural with sims3. I couldn't care less for pets, nightlife or any other dumb stuff they will add eventually.

Supernatural is so overpowered!
Turn your char into a fairy and pwn all Adventures expansion dungeons by sleeping in a fairy tree you carry in your pocket!
Need a lifefruit or a few? Top quality cabbage? No green thumb trait? No problem! Cast a spell a few times on planted seed and voila! Etc.
:D

The #3 best expansion definetly. First two are of course Adventures and Ambitions.
The only thing not fun is learning EA added genie (race) in another expansion and dragons in a completely separate world. :pout:
EA probably has a side company concentrated only on how to milk the audience.

Last edited:
Gamechanging and unoptimized dozens of DLC? No buy.
They always did it and always will.

How else can they possibly cram it all into the first release? You'd have to wait for years till everything is done. And then it's going to be too expensive to buy in one bundle anyway.

They can make a standalone expansion.
Just like they did on phones - check it yourself, Sims 3, Ambitions and Adventures are separate games there. ;)

They always did it and always will.

How else can they possibly cram it all into the first release? You'd have to wait for years till everything is done. And then it's going to be too expensive to buy in one bundle anyway.

Seems so easy for others to do it..dunno why sims can't do it..and why on earth would it be more expensive to release a full game instead of splitting it up? It's the splitting up that makes it expensive. It's a scheme of making more money that much is (or should be..) obvious. Just like season pass. It's like releasing an unfinished game and then demand money for the other parts of the game. But this has been discussed to death before.

Visual character creation is much less important to me than the stats/skills/abilities that make the character unique from a gameplay perspective.

Typical man's perspective. ;)

Women are seemingly much more interested in how a character looks than the "number-crunching" defining him or her. ;)

Do you know Häger The Horrible ? There's a comic strip out there ( I know because I have it in one book ) :
Helga, Hägar's wife, and another woman discuss men. "What do you think would be life without women ?" she says.
"Why do you ask ?" asks the second woman.
The bottom of the picture shows an (supposedly male) pig happily lying in a lot of mud …

Women are seemingly much more interested in how a character looks than the "number-crunching" defining him or her. ;)
I'm not "women", I just want to play a game as a big butt character who adores fastfood, soda and beer. :D
Oddly... I didn't know I want it till I saw that vid up there. Usually I just make me just an utterly ugly face with the most rediculous hairstyle available. And now I can do horrors to the body too! ;)

The topic is not about skills setup. FO1 nailed that part thousands of years ago. ;)

I'm not a woman as well - but I'm still interested in how my played character looks like. ;)

My key word was "typical". For some it's true and foir some it's not.But in general, men seem to be much less interested in the looks - except of cars & women, of course. ;)

Seems so easy for others to do it..dunno why sims can't do it..and why on earth would it be more expensive to release a full game instead of splitting it up? It's the splitting up that makes it expensive. It's a scheme of making more money that much is (or should be..) obvious. Just like season pass. It's like releasing an unfinished game and then demand money for the other parts of the game. But this has been discussed to death before.

The game of The Sims is full. They later expand on it. They do not split at start.

First to say I'm not crazy about wasting time on changing character looks and usually I leave them on default.
The reason is simple. It's always too many badly organized menus, too many options that have yucky results and lack of the most important feature!

And after seeing this vid, I just want to do something like this in RPGs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZmtGfTj-to

Yes, unlike any other game out there, finally you can create a big butt character! Not just big boobs! :D

And you can change the way they walk, no need to see ME bones problem legs any more!

This still doesn't mean I'll buy Sims4. It depends what EA will do. Standalone DLCs that don't touch the main game? Deal. Gamechanging and unoptimized dozens of DLC? No buy.

But I hope at least future EA RPGs will have character creation like this one integrated. Maybe I got too much of coffee today and am just overreacting, but you tell me, wouldn't it be awsome this character creation system becomes a standard part of RPGs?

P.S. Hair still looks horrible.

Where is the beer in the Sims?

Expansions do not touch the main game. Patches to accomodate them might though.

A lot of issues concerning the non optimization of things should be solved with the "open" world side.

As trans generational player, the gimmick is nice but non mandatory. The Sims include an hereditary passing down feature, the look of the initial character is quite diluted once you hit the third generation.
When hitting the tenth or so, it is only a memory.

Where is the beer in the Sims?

Expansions do not touch the main game. Patches to accomodate them might though.

A lot of issues concerning the non optimization of things should be solved with the "open" world side.
In Sims or Sims 2, dunno where the beer is, never bought or played those games, seen them at friends' but kinda looked boring to me.
In Sims 3 and medieval you can't get drunk, that's IMO a huge minus. Yea, you can drop your moodlet, but can you get your NPC so drunk to walk on all 4 like in The Witcher? No, you can't.

Expansions do touch the main game. Ambitions provide many new job opportunities that are not just rabbitholes as in the main game, the map gets swarmed with many new collectibles, etc. World adventures allow you to get rich by making wine, sleep in sarcophagi, kick the thieves' arse by learning sim-fu, etc. However, your savegame that used to be a MB or 2 with only the main game, now raises to 10-20 Gb!!!
Pets add so many bad AI animals in the town that your game hangs. Island Paradise allows you do snorkel or dive but also adds bad AI NPCs in the town that worked flawlessly without it and now the whole game stutters.

What I'm saying is this. Keep things separate. Don't add stuff from expansions in my main game. Dunno how nor care. I just don't want huge savegames and gamefreezing bugs just because it was not easy to optimize everything. For example I don't want to micromanage a pet (Pets expansion) while on holiday in Egypt (World Adventures expansion).

Expansions are separated from the main game. They are not mandatory. Not getting them is enough to preserve the main game.

Getting rich by selling wine is not the easiest way. It is much easier to marry a rich sim(option available in the main game)

Pets are blocked at the border by the customs office.

In all cases, most of the troubles should have been solved if they managed to pass from a level based design to a continuous world. This potentially will change deeply the gameplay.

Dress up. It's good for you.
Buy all DLC's.

Back
Top Bottom