Things you don't need to know...

Those chinese will copy anything: Hallstatt@Huizhou@Guangdong@China:

"A real estate project in Huizhou, Guangdong Province, became the center of a public controversey for copying the layout and archetecture of Hallstatt, an Austrian village both a renowned tourist destination and a UNESCO world heritage site."

pibbur is glad that he now has a choice if he ever decides to go to Hallstatt. Which he won't, he'll just copy it in his garden. With Lego.

Adaptiv can hide a tank from thermal imaging systems, or make it look like a car. Interesting. Maybe I can get a street-legal M1 Abrams after all. Boy would I like that when traffic is congested.

pibbur who wonders if the last sentence above is (not street) legal english. And who advices australians to be careful in the proximity of ms. Fischer-Rasmussen.

Apparently there's a summer olympics event coming up. London. Here's a list from Evening Standard of 100 things you don't need to know about said event. For some reason said newspaper claims that said list really containt things you need to know about said event. Hah! They don't fool me.

However, I will draw your attention to item 92:

92) Denis Clayton, an 82-year-old retired bricklayer from Cheshire, has been to every Olympics since 1960 but has no tickets to London 2012.

First: They don't mention that he (according to Norwegian news media) managed to attend events in all of them from '60 to '08 without a ticket. I think that must be an Olympic record.

Second: They don't mention that he (according to Norwegian news media) actually has got a ticket now. He doubted (according to Norwegian news media) he would be able to cheat his way into 2012 without being shot. But someon wealthy (according to Norwegian news media) donated a ticket (1500m final) to him. According to Norwegian news media.

One thing they fail to mention, which is actually of some importance: No real ale will be served at the events, as some Dutch brewerey named Heineken has brib… eth … sponsored the games in return for excløusive rights.

pibbur who likes ale

After half a dozen, who can tell the difference!! :)

One thing they fail to mention, which is actually of some importance: No real ale will be served at the events, as some Dutch brewerey named Heineken has brib… eth … sponsored the games in return for excløusive rights

I never understood all the love for Heineken. It taste like crap imo.

And you prefer what??......... Bud Light!!!!! I have yet to find a single US commercial beer worth drinking for any reason. Only Italian beer is worse and I've tried beer from most countries in the world. Belgian and Austrian are the best IMO.

Yes, otherwise your large breweries wouldn't produce the watered down crap they do!! :) I do know that your small boutique breweries produce some good stuff though.

Companies like Budweiser and Miller produce crap because a lot of of people here don't know what good beer is, or they just don't care. That doesn't mean everyone here has shitty taste in beer.

I think mainstream beer is probably fairly shitty no matter what country you're in though. :)

While boutique beer is better in general than any/most mass produced beer, some places do have excellent commercial brews. Canada, Australia, Germany, Austria, Belgium, Denmark are just some of the countries where SOME of their mass produced products are of a very high standard. Taste testing is half the fun!! :)

Not sure about ya'll up north Corwin but Melbourne is going through a bit of a cider phase ATM. I was skeptical about the whole thing until recently when someone brought a 6 pack of Monteiths pear cider to a party. Very nice indeed!

Haven't tried cider in years, but I was down your way on Phillip Island a couple of weeks ago and the boutique brewery there had some excellent beers; well worth visiting.

These are some of the beers pibbur really likes:

1. Kronenbourg 1664 (french)
2. Frydenlund draught beer (norwegian)
3. Hoegarden wheat beer (belgian)
4. Beers from "Den nøgne ø" (the nude island), a norwegian brewery who according to their web site produce hand crafted beer, not sure he wants to know what that actually means. But the beer is good.

Several other belgian beers which he can't name. And Kwak, for the fun of it.

Some beers taste like water from a dishwasher. Other beers probably is water from a dishwasher. A Norwegian brewery which he won't mention due to his dikigorosophobia comes to mind. It's not Hansa.

pibbur who has heard that some think drinking American beer is like having sex in a canoe, but can't verify the statement since he hasn't tried any of the above mentioned activities.

The image which that comparison gives me, has me rofl. Having had some US beer, the dishwasher is a suitable analogy!! :)

Both Cologne and Düsseldorf - two very important major capitals located not too far away from one another at the river Rhine - always have a kkind of small "quarrel" between them - each one's citizens accuse the other town one's of not being able to produce drinkable beer … ;)

Cologne -> Kölsch beer
Düsseldorf -> Alt beer

Sidenote : Düsseldorf is the capital of the federal state of North-Rhine-Westfalia. The word "dorf" means "village" and the "düssel" is a tiny river flowing through the town.

Jessica Fox, who'll compete in the canone slalom event during the 2012 olympics. She's the daughter of Richard Fox, olympian canoe slalomer for the UK and Myriam Fox-Jerusalmi, olympian canoe slalomer for France. Jessica competes for Australia, of course, but the olympics will take place in London.

On a side note: Nobel Prize for Physics-winner Isidor Isaac Rabi (not pictured) gave a speech about how an electric light works for his Bar Mitzvah. Now that's how to mingle!!

And llet's not fforget that the ghost orchid, was once ffound in Fiddler's Elbow National Nature Reserve, near Monmouth (the one in Wales, not the possible copy in China). It's famous for its unpredictable appearance, being seen now here and now there and seldomly more than once, assumed extinct only to rise from the dead again (I'm talking about the flower, not Monmouth which stays more or less at the same place).

pibbur who despite this is not particularly scared by the ghost flower, but who will run for his life if an illuminati (dentist?) asks him if it's safe or not.

Ombla River near Dubrovnik, Croatia, is claimed to be the shortest river in the world, flowing approximately 30 metres (98 feet) before emptying into the Adriatic Sea.

pibbur who regrets posting this as it made him remember Boney M: Rivers of Babylon which he detests and NOW HE CAN'T GET IT OUT OF HIS HEAD!!!

The earth is slowing down, it doesn't rotate as fast as it used to, so days are getting longer and longer, which means that calendar and time becomes more and more out of phase. To compensate for this, 1 second will be added to the upcoming night.

pibbur who would like to have a tardis

Back
Top Bottom