I Hate Mondays

While I agree that there ought to be a special place in Hell for the people who provide us with the stuff you're describing, there's nothing horribly wrong with Flash itself. It does provide a de facto standard for presenting stuff that can't easily be presented using HTML/CSS/Javascript.

To take a random example of really good use of Flash, take Digital Photography Review's lens tests: they present the results as an interactive Flash widget with dials you can set for aperture and focal length, a visual representation of sharpness across the frame (blue=sharp, red=soft), and even little thingies you can click to see a sample pattern from different parts of the frame at any focal length and aperture. Here, for example:

[ http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/sigma_70-200_2p8_n15/page5.asp ]

That would've been an absolute bastard to code in HTML/CSS/JS, not much easier in Java, and there would have been no way to get it cross-browser or cross-platform compatible with anything else out there, and it's far and away the most intuitive and informative way of presenting the extremely complex information behind it. In fact, it's one of the best examples of information visualization that I've come across, ever.

Well, we got things like javaFX and MS silverlight cooming on strongly, so if you don't like flash you can install one of these :)

Wow ... a Mac hater who uses his position supporting Mac stuff to pretend to have a clue about them. That is something new. Someone who calls the users 'Mactards' despite the accepted fact that Mac users are more educated and affluent and involved with life than PC users. Yeah.

Pretending to be authoritative doesn't stop it from being a fanboy rant.

But are they able to manually clean up dead registry entries using RegEdit? Or strip out unnecessary drivers installed and enabled from media provided by the manufacturer? Huh? Tell me? Huh? Retards, the bunch of them!

So shut up. I'm off to make some changes to my xorg.conf so I can get *TWO* monitors working on my Linux computer *AT THE SAME TIME!* Think about that, willya?

Fanboi/troll rants aside, the important thing is that the title of this thread needs to be changed to "I Don't Like Mondays" immediately if not sooner.

Fanboi/troll rants aside, the important thing is that the title of this thread needs to be changed to "I Don't Like Mondays" immediately if not sooner.

Or (song reference aside) rather ... "I'm a Mac hater forced to work with Macs!"

I <dte> Mondays

After recovering from a particularly hellacious six months of day job *, I've finally been able to resume working on my own projects once again. So after a couple (long, holiday) weekends, I now have a working** Mac port of my game engine. Huzzah for the power of abstraction. Very little of my code base knows Windows even exists, so it was relatively painless to plumb in a new front-end and back-end for the Mac. Well... except for the whole "learning to program a Mac" thing. I'm getting the distinct impression that Apple is not a dev-friendly house. Must be nice not having to care about backwards compatibility.

macport.jpg

* Crunch mode sucks.

** Now if I could only figure out how to capture the bloody mouse. Like everything else I've found online, every mechanism is deprecated or completely removed.

I'm getting the distinct impression that Apple is not a dev-friendly house. Must be nice not having to care about backwards compatibility.

They are very dev friendly ... so long as you drink the proper kool-aid, are ready to completely re-tool on a dime when they say so, and don't make anything they make or ever plan to make. Oh, and if you make things they don't care about - like games - you're SOL.

Yeah, I am still a Mac fan - just not a fanboi!

Back
Top Bottom