Wasteland 2 - September 19th Release

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The current beta build should be 99.99% the same as the final version. So I couldnt bare to wait any longer. Therefore i am playing the latests beta version and what a great game !! (Gives me the same feeling when i was playing Fallout 2 in the 90's)
Only the graphics are bit underwhelming but all the rest makes up for that.

Won't go for beta, I just have too many new (okay and old to replay) games till 19th.
In fact, I'm not even sure I'll have time for W2 immediately when it's released.

Curse the year with no games, curse the year with many games. :(

Have they confirmed if the final release wipes current beta save games? I'd rather hold off if that's so.

I do wonder if it will be any good; mind you already paid for it long long ago but the reviews during the beta seemed mixed. Well we shall see. Grapics look fine (from screen shots) so suprise there are complaints in that area (esp when compared to fallout); mind you while I can't play fallout 1/2 due to horrible graphics I think ice wind dale/bg/wizardry 8 are all playable.

@you:Graphics do look good in screenshots. In motion environments and animations often look mushy. Lots of areas have a canopy (overhanging trees, roofs, pipes) between the camera and the mobs. The camera clips these canopies as you go. In my opinion, everything would just look better without so much overhead clutter.
Another point about animations: reactions often look too springy, like you're hitting a hard rubber doll instead of something living.

Only the graphics are bit underwhelming but all the rest makes up for that.

I totally disagree. For this style of game and considering their budget the graphics (and music for that matter) are really good.

The game overall is really good, I just wish they had put perks in or were going to but I've read they won't make release but is something they want to do.

My only beefs when I played (before this most recent big update) were combat and character development were a bit lackluster since combat takes a while and is pretty bland with mostly basic gunplay (needs perks to liven things up) and your characters start out so accurate and get stronger pretty quick so there isn't much to leveling - assign skill points that seem to be overkill at times.

I quit playing because some "levels" are just incredibly long and while I find the game very good, I didn't want to have to redo everything shortly after doing it when the game finally went live. So I'm looking forward to it officially releasing so I can get back to it.

To me, this game looks great (judging from game play videos, have not played it myself). And the atmosphere and ambience seems very well done, a nicely imagined setting and world. The story seems rich and well fleshed out too. I got this game in a special "two-fer" deal when backing the Torment- tides of numenera game. I do hope they polish it and add more options later because I have read combat needs to be spiced up, but to me this game is much more anticipated than other much more hyped games like Pillars of eternity (which frankly, is looking pretty crappy in my humble opinion, and apparently combat in the game is atrocious from reading the game's beta forum)

I only played a couple fights in the beta but I found the combat to be lackluster. Here's to hoping it was just because it was the beginning of the game or things have changed since then.

Really looking forward to this finally coming out. I backed it on Kickstarter over two years ago so it's exciting that the final product is almost here. I've held off playing the beta as I like to judge a product on it's shipped build. From what I've seen though I think It will be a lot of fun.

I so wanted to hold out until the final release, but I just couldn't. I was so eager to play it.
I played and finished the beta twice (latest update and the one before that). It's so damn good. Exactly the kind of game I like. They delivered exactly the kind of game they initially promised. It's amazing what they managed to pull off at a budget this low.

It upsets me a little bit when I read how people complain about the graphics. First of, they are actually quite good and atmospheric for a game of that type, in that isometric perspective (I don't really know of any similar games who look significantly better) and whoever wanted more buzz in that regard, could have given more money during the Kickstarter campaign. :p Put your money where your mouth is! :p But seriously, the only (graphical-) thing I wasn't that happy about (and it's pretty much even the only bigger thing about the entire game I didn't like), is during character creation, there are only few options to customize the 4 ranger characters. I think there are even only 4 different faces per gender. I got used to that, but I had to come to terms with it at first. During gameplay it doesn't matter anymore, because the typical view of the characters is from far above.

But then again, what they promised and what they IMHO delivered, was a game with good writing, characters, story and reactivity. Not some graphic extravaganza. With that kind of budget you have to focus and judging from the entire Arizona area that was in the beta, they focused on the right stuff.

As soon as the final comes out, I'll start again from the beginning. With this game this is no real letdown, because depending on choices, the player lands on completely different maps. If the LA area (not part of the backer beta) is as good as the first one, this game is the evergreen hit Fargo dreamed of making.

Back
Top Bottom