Worldsfactory - Best RPGs For 2014

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Worldsfactory has a new article about the best upcoming RPGs of 2014, and calls next year a golden age for gamers.

For the gaming industry, 2013 was an exciting year with the release of next-gen consoles and a slew of ground-breaking new titles. Looking ahead at what we can expect from 2014, it appears safe to predict this next year will go on record as one of the best year’s in history for the RPG genre. From Kickstarter kings to long awaited, highly anticipated sequels, we’ve taken an in-depth look to bring you this lineup of Western (North America and/or Europe) releases in 2014. Due to the sheer volume of games slated for this year, we couldn’t include them all or risk publishing a small novel rather than a feature article.

Therefore, we picked those upcoming RPGs that right now seem more promising to us. We listed them below in alphabetical order, highlighting their sub-genres and why they’re generating unique interest. At any rate, this will be a Golden Age for RPG fans.
More information.

I can't believe Wasteland 2 is not mentioned on this list!
I can't either but it has plenty of other good RPGs. Besides as the writer said it would be to long if they included every RPG coming out this year.

I still think some of these games will be delayed into 2015 though. :)

Last edited:
Very good list. My most anticipated are:

- Bound by Flame (can't wait for Spider's unique, and artistic work)
- Mount and Blade - Bannerlords (doubt it will be out this year)
- Dark Souls II
- Pillars of Eternity
- Witcher 3

Very good list. My most anticipated are:

- Bound by Flame (can't wait for Spider's unique, and artistic work)
- Dark Souls II
- Pillars of Eternity
- Witcher 3
I can't wait for Bound by Flame either. I have enjoyed every game from them despite all the negativity on other sites.:nod:

I can't either but it has plenty of other good RPGs. Besides as the writer said it would be to long it they included every RPG coming out this year.

I still think some of these games will be delayed into 2015 though. :)

Yeah, it is a solid list beyond that one big omission :) The only others that I can think of are Eschalon: Book 3, and Underrail. Dragon Age 3 is definitely looking awesome, and Witcher 3. 2014 should definitely be a great year for RPGs, that is, until a bunch of them get pushed back to 2015 ;).

Couchpotato said:
calls next year a golden age for gamers
We all do!

Too many games… Not enough time :-(

Yeah, more games to add to my ever expanding game backlog that I'll never finish :). Of all of these RPGs, I bet I'll have enough time to finish about two of them.

Interesting, Wasteland 2 was on the list when I looked at it. Was it added later?

Interesting Wasteland 2 is on the list when I looked at it. Was it added later?
It looks like it was added I posted the article, or were just all blind.:biggrin: Just kidding he added it later.
Nice list, but the lack of a mention of Wasteland 2 is a glaring oversight.

Thanks for pointing that out! It slipped past us because I still had it slated as released this past Dec. When, in fact, I now see it was delayed again and only the beta came out.

It looks like it was added I posted the article, or were just all blind.:biggrin: Just kidding he added it later.

Yeah, that was actually my comment on the articles :) I can see how it is easy to overlook Wasteland 2, with the overwhelming truckload of RPGs this year.

Yeah, that was actually my comment on the articles :) I can see how it is easy to overlook Wasteland 2, with the overwhelming truckload of RPGs this year.
Thanks for bringing the game to the writers attention.:worship:

I understand were he got confused since it's hard to keep track of game releases nowadays. I still don't have release dates for a few of the games in our system.

Consortium was released today actually.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/264240/

The article is wrong about The Witcher 3 though imo. No way is that game going to be released by Q2 or Q3 of this year. I'd be very surprised if it's released prior to 2015.

Lot of games on that list that I'm eagerly anticipating though. Lords of Xulima, Pillars of Eternity, Divinity: Original Sin, Age of Decadence, Legend of Grimrock 2, Wasteland 2, and Dark Souls 2 are all Day 1 purchases for me.

This might indeed be that golden year that we've been waiting a long time for.

Too many games… Not enough time :-(
Can we have another global recession, please? I got 6 months of free time with the last one! ;)

PC Gamer also has a big list of RPGs, though some are from 2015. It does include some games for 2014 that aren't on Worldsfactory's list. Other pages in the article list other genres.

I mostly use Watch's list

Nice list indeed!

Looking forward to:
- Age of Decadence
- Divinity: Original Sin
- Mount & Blade 2
- Wasteland 2
- Pillars of Eternity
- Witcher 3

:D

Don't think "Best RPGs" is the correct term for games nobody has played/reviewed. More like "Most anticipated RPGs".

Back
Top Bottom