Torment: Tides of Numenera - Post-Funding Update #26

I didn't vote, but I hope they go the way they want to go.
I am not interested in designing the game or having the other backers design the game. If this is what InXile want for their game then that should be the way it should go.

Regarding the anger - the people who wanted turn-based would be acting the exact same way if the outcome had went the other way.

Imo they should never have had the poll to begin with. It was completely unecessary since they already knew what they wanted to go with.

I voted on "indiferent" option.
Turn based is okay with me, just as paused realtime would be. As long as the story is stellar, couldn't care less for the combat system. Honestly.

Regarding the anger - the people who wanted turn-based would be acting the exact same way if the outcome had went the other way.
Extremely doubtful imo, since the game that everyone pledged for was a sequel to a game that was RTwP. So right from the get-go, it was obviously possible, if not likely, that the game would be RTwP. Many/most of these RTwP ragers seem to be claiming that they never even realized TB was an option.

Many/most of these RTwP ragers seem to be claiming that they never even realized TB was an option.

Selective memory ? Short attention span ? There was even a funny video in update #14

Anyways, the only way out from this little PR disaster for Inxile is to give us a stellar Wasteland 2 for starters and think twice (or thrice) of going out to Kickstarter again before providing an equally stellar Torment…

Keeping my fingers crossed on both counts :)

I don't care what type of combat they chose as each one is fine with me. All I want a good story, and combat is secondary. Having said that I agree with those saying they should of never had the vote.

Last edited:
Yep. I never claimed they were paying attention…

Didn't imply you did.

I just can't wrap my head around this becoming such a huge deal, despite expecting it sort of :-/

Did I play the same game with those guys? Combat was pretty lackluster on the original. I mean totally forgettable. Not even closely a significant part of the experience imho…

I am definitely on the same page with Inxile about going for a quality over quantity design.

That said I suspect that if they were reluctant to touch on this issue during the KS (fearing that messing too much with the original's formula at that point would have stollen some momentum) they should have just gone with RTWP and never opened the issue in the first place. I think most people would have accepted that from a spiritual successor (I know I would have been perfectly fine with it at least)…

But despite what I've said in the past, I am really starting to believe that they really did not think this aspect central to the core design and essence of what this game was to be about. That is why 95% of the material on the updates is about writing and choice and the tides… They must be quite surprised by the uproar at this point and starting to wonder if they (the designers) "get" the game the same way as a large part of their target audience…

I also don't care that much, I'm fairly certain it'll be a great game either way. But I voted TB to make it an even better game.

Not sure I agree about the "mess" thing, though. The way it happened to play out, it may have actually helped them. RTwP only ended up getting about 45% of the votes cast. Without the vote, I have a feeling that many of these RTwP people would have insisted that "everyone" wants RTwP.

Perhaps you are right and I am reading too much into it.

I haven't even bothered to go over there and see for my self either (heaven forbid :uneasy: )

Anyways I hope the Wasteland 2 beta is sufficiently awesome to help things cool down a little :)

I haven't even bothered to go over there and see for my self either (heaven forbid :uneasy: )

Anyways I hope the Wasteland 2 beta is sufficiently awesome to help things cool down a little :)

Your not missing much just both sides complaining, and saying their choice is better. It looks like a modern day government session. There can be no compromise.:rolleyes:

Anyway I do hope the beta for Wastelands 2 is good also. It may also show how combat might work for Torment without the tide system being implemented.

Happy they are going the TB way, but would play it happily either way. Whatever they think fits better. It's not like the combat in PST was anything so great that it being RTwP should carry any weight.

This reminds me of the big blowup that Shadowrun Returns had when announcing the future releases of the DLC would be steam only. Some backers went totally Nuts. Yet months later it has all worked out, DRM free DLC.

If you are the type of personality who can't handle getting something different than you may perceive you will get then maybe kickstarter is not for you. Wait until its been out for while and get it after it has been reviewed and patched up. Heaven knows that advice can be applied to ALL games being released these days.

Well, that was the last game I backed from inExile. Next time I'll just wait until it's done and buy it if it seems like something I'll enjoy.
:S I voted for RTwP so I guess you can say I'm on the losing side but if they deliver an experience half as good/strong as PS:T it'll still be the 2nd best game I've played.

The only thing that's more or less clear about this vote is that'll discourage similar future attempts.

Extremely doubtful imo, since the game that everyone pledged for was a sequel to a game that was RTwP. So right from the get-go, it was obviously possible, if not likely, that the game would be RTwP. Many/most of these RTwP ragers seem to be claiming that they never even realized TB was an option.

There would have been hard feelings either way, and this game isn't a sequel to anything.

If there are indeed people claiming that they didn't realize TB was even an option, then I'm quite sure those people are a very small minority. Either way, TB fans would be airing their feelings the same way right now if the outcome had been different. Both sides were equally passionate about how they felt about it. That much was obvious during the entire process.

Definitely not a "very small minority" if you've been reading comments/forums on the issue.

I hit pause so much with a real-time-with-pause systems that it may as well be turn based. I'm happy with either.

I didn't vote but would have chosen turn-based if I had. The combat was one of the few things I hated about the Infinity Engine games and it was really irritating but even with that Planescape Torment is still one of my most favorite games and would have been a bit higher in my list with turn-based combat. I wouldn't have really cared all that much if this had been RTwP since combat is only a minor aspect of the game but I'm glad it is turn-based.

I like both systems, so I didn't even bother to vote. But to those saying that the vote should never have even been proffered by inXile, unfortunately game developers have brought that curse onto themselves. One of the major incentives used by video game projects on KS is the promise of seriously listening to the input of the backers. Personally, I don't have a large enough ego to think I know anywhere near what seasoned developers know about game design, so I haven't given any input on the 30+ games I've backed. But many gamers think they have special insights and were promised that those insights would be taken seriously. Of course, it turns out that most of them are childish as exemplified by the rude, arrogant, and downright pathetic comments seen in this case. I think developers need to somehow downplay the amount of weight player input will receive or even avoid mentioning it upfront altogether. The point of funding something on KS is to allow artists of all sorts to realize THEIR vision, not YOUR vision. Don't pledge to KS projects if you aren't mature enough to deal with that.

Back
Top Bottom