Minotaurs & Unicorns - nostalgic RPG, turn based, 90 degree rotation

Chris Kozmik

Indie Game Developer
After a longer break I'm resuming the work on my 90s style western RPG. I plan to release it around the end of the year (and yes, I know I was saying the same thing a year ago :D)

The basic premise is to bring back the fun from the time of Dungeon Master, Eye of The Beholder, Champions of Krynn, early Might & Magic, Wizardry, etc. Not as a remake, but let's say, as if these were still made today.

The core concept:
* old, classic, retro western style RPG
* first person perspective, 90 degree rotation
* pixelated and simple yet colourfull graphics
* world not too big, but full of encounters, NPC, locations (no huge empty wilderness)
* a lot of freedom with world exploration, not dictated by the storyline
* no excessive fat that would get into the way of your fun

EDIT: outdated link removed

Last edited:
About the graphics, since it will be brought up for sure. The style of the art stays, I can (and most liekly will) redo the execution (some things are not so pretty), but overall it will stay pixelated.

Note: as you see I made up my mind with the game title :) I love this stage of the project when I'm past the choosing of the name, it feels, you know, kind of "commited" and "what will be will be".

I didn't get far in Quest Lord as I got tired of not being able to tell what I was looking at. I have a minimum pixel threshold.

I liked it, but I know what you mean. I got a lot more interest on my blog when I used the stone textures over my red placeholder frames. I can't play the Spiderweb games like Avadon for that reason but if they're really primitive in style like Eschalon, for some reason I'm ok with it. Its not nostalgia either, because I'm ok with 8-bit jrpg style games for some reason.

I know what it is, have you already started a thread on this before or am I thinking of Quest Lord? That Beholder is really familiar.

I know what it is, have you already started a thread on this before or am I thinking of Quest Lord? That Beholder is really familiar.
Nope, never heard of Quest Lord, also I don't find any similarity when looking at screenshots :) But as they say, you don't argue with players, especially when they say about something being similar to something :)

BTW, in one game I made I had this bizzarie experience when I had several players saying a cloned another game (that was created several years after mine), and the funniest/most devastating thing is I HATED the kind of game they were saying mine is a clone of and I made mine as an opposite :) It was reeealy depressing :)

Nice game, really. Keep it up Archi! :)

How about releasing updates to the tech demo? When you get more gameplay elements finished, the demo might get you more attention and feedback.

Question, how to do resting (camp)?

At the moment when you click the camp button it brings you to a new screen (that's supposed to have a camp picture) and the party is healed.

Which kind of is not so great...

Is the separate page for it needed? Also, there is no confirmation, maybe it shoud be (since it makes the time pass)?
Plus, the option should be somehow blocked if there are enemies nearby...

I'm a bit conbfused how to implement this :)

Back
Top Bottom