Underrail - Food and Balance Changes

Dhruin

SasqWatch
I keep forgetting to give Underrail its due...Stygian Games has posted a new update on their site and also our forums, with changes to balancing, stealth, the addition of food and new screens:
First of all I changed a bit how stealth works. You'll still be detected over time depending on your stealth skill, enemy's detection, lightning and positioning like before, unless your stealth skill is too far behind the enemy's detection in which case you won't be able to hide from them at all. This will be indicated with a silver eye above the detecting character and the true-sight is now represented by a golden eye (previously silver). The problem was that even the non-stealthy characters were using stealth excessively to move around undetected (and have guaranteed combat initiation) and it worked as long as they didn't stay too close too long because of the way the revealing speed is capped. This change should prevent that while not changing how stealth mechanics work for stealthy characters (those who invest in stealth skill and wear light armors).
Also another minor tweak to stealth - I've added a notification when you bump into other characters and fall out of stealth for that reason. Some people were confused as to what was happening, but keep in mind that if they can't see you their pathfinding won't tell them to go around you.
jy3.jpg
More information.

I've added food to the game. You can consume different meals to gain (and sometimes also lose) different base stats for 5 minutes. You can only have one type of food buff on your character at any given time. Here are the meals I've prepared so far:
  • Rathound Barbecue: +1 strength
  • Cave Hopper Steak: +2 agility
  • Burrower Burger: +2 constitution
  • Eel Sandwich: +2 dexterity
  • Junkyard Surprise: +(1-3) random stat, -(0-3) random stat

Sounds tasty!

Will there also be a hunger mechanic of some kind?

Really really liked their initial alpha rollout. I don't think I'll play it again until the whole game is finished. (I want to experience the final product, not get burned out playing each increment) I definitely recommend any Fallout fans out there give it a shot, presuming there are any Fallout fans on RPGWatch...

I love Fallout 1 and 3, but 2 lost me somewhere. I need to give it another shot someday.

I love Fallout 1 and 3, but 2 lost me somewhere. I need to give it another shot someday.

FO2 is my least favorite as well. It just felt too drawn-out to me, and the bugginess didn't help either. I remember losing interest about 2/3 through and having to force myself to finish it.

I was impressed by the demo for Underrail, and I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this game..

Well, it's reassuring that I'm not the only one who didn't get into FO2. Tried it and got stuck in the tutorial zone in some sort of temple with lots of ants. I couldn't find a way out of the village and finally gave up and uninstalled.

Haven't played FO1 yet, but I really enjoyed FO3 and New Vegas.

FO1 is wonderful. Truly a masterpiece, and is quite playable with Dosbox or the gog version. It's been a few years since I've played and I plan on buying the gog version the next time I get the itch.

I'm currently playing New Vegas with a mod that makes Sunny Smiles a companion. I have her, Boone, and ED-E, and just got Veronica last night. I've got another mod that allows me to use all 4 at the same time, which allows me to explore and let them kill things. I generally use a sniper rifle to make a long range kill and then let them run all over killing everything in the area. The biggest problem is finding them when they get knocked out :) I should have installed a "more enemies" mod of some kind, but I didn't want to overlevel. I've been to about 50 places or so and just hit level 10, which seems okay. I don't have any official DLC for this game and need to pick those up soon. Hmmm…..

Underrail could be okay, but the game is going to have to be SPECIAL ;) to get over the archaic graphics. Wishing them luck. I keep thinking Geneforge when I see the screenies.

I guess you're making a point of some sort but it went over my head. What?
No, it was just a lighthearted joke. A feeble one I guess.

I too think F02 was overrated. I played it to the end, but still.

I did like the car though, and wish that somebody had modded a portable traveling device for Fallout 3 and FNV. It'd be nice to have a quick, but logical, way of getting to places very fast. Most of the world in F3 and FNV is traversable by an ATV type vehicle, kinda surprised there isn't a popular mod that adds something. Must be harder to implement than I think it would be.

? The driveable motorcycle mod came out for FO3 pretty quick, i think it was within a few months after relase. Never tried it myself, don't care much for "mounts" in games.
Pretty sure there's something for FO:NV, but i've never looked for it.

Back
Top Bottom