Titan Quest - Retrospective @ RPS

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Rock, Paper, Shotgun has a new article from John Walker who talks about re-installing Titan Quest, and finding out that he still enjoys playing the game .

Titan Quest is a game I’ve gone back to a few times over the eight or so years since it came out. A straight, classic(al) Action RPG, I find it hard to fully justify why its calm ways engross me so much. Yet every so often it calls to me, so back once again I went. And found I couldn’t start. Not because of technology issues – it holds up extremely well – but because of that opening moment: it felt too good.
More information.

Last edited:
I can justify why this game is so engrossing.. it's simply one of the best Diablo clones there is. It's got character customization, looks wonderful and has tons of content all of which is cooperative. It has real chutzpah in combat, a definite sense of progression and power.

To those who haven't played Titans Quest (Immortal Throne) I beseech you, do so. It goes on sale via STEAM fairly often. Games like this don't necessarily age like others do, and since loot is much like gambling it remains addictive.

Without a doubt my favourite hack & slay game (granted I haven't gotten around to Path of Exile yet). I loved the deep character creation, and the game has wonderful pacing and a cool setting.

Did you know the dev went out of business shortly after TQ's release? They themselves put that failure down to their efforts against piracy. On release, the devs uploaded a version of TQ to the torrentsphere that would stop after the user finished Chapter 1. They were supposed to get the message that piracy was wrong, go buy the game, etc. Instead, 10,000 pirates went to every games forum on the internet and said the game was a buggy mess and that they couldn't finished it. They basically sabotaged their own launch.

Did you know the dev went out of business shortly after TQ's release? They themselves put that failure down to their efforts against piracy. On release, the devs uploaded a version of TQ to the torrentsphere that would stop after the user finished Chapter 1. They were supposed to get the message that piracy was wrong, go buy the game, etc. Instead, 10,000 pirates went to every games forum on the internet and said the game was a buggy mess and that they couldn't finished it. They basically sabotaged their own launch.

I remember the story from interview but IIRC it wasn't what ruined the company, it slowed initial sale but TQ still sold in 1.3 million copies.Publisher canceling their ongoing project(it was supposed to be fantasy third person action if memory serves me right) ruined company.

Yup, and one of them went on a huge rant about how piracy destroyed their business and that's why he (or they can't remember) were going to do console games only from now on. Completely turned me off from even trying the game.

Forgot all about this one. Yep, it was definitely one of the more satisfying action-rpg games!
Great looking for its time too

Maybe I should have another go at this. I finished it only once though I had created several characters. Towards the end I was really just wanting for it to be over, rushing through maps instead of revealing the entire area as I would usually. Didn't understand all the gushing about it and always thought that maybe I missed something.

Towards the end I was really just wanting for it to be over, rushing through maps instead of revealing the entire area as I would usually. Didn't understand all the gushing about it and always thought that maybe I missed something.

Not every game is for everyone, Titans Quests is a long one. I played it cooperatively which I imagine kept it fresh later game.

Hmm was that ever proven ?
I always considered it a pretty lie to hide how buggy their game really was in the beginning.
The game was fun but the devs conduct was really embarassing.

Thanks for this.
Bought the game on Gamersgate a few months ago.

I already started a game.
If I add the mod, will I have to restart?

Yes you will have to start new character.
Also if you are new to Soulvizier I suggest starting ranged class since early game can be rough for melee but in normalizes after first few hours.

Game was good, but it had too many problems for me to really love it.

The game was painfully slow and dull for too long, for one - and it took a while before it opened up and combat starting clicking.

Their choice of having one model for each gender - made the game suffer in multiplayer, because you looked just alike.

The whole bare-legged thing no matter your armor turned me off - and I never got a proper look for any character. That's a big no-no in a loot-driven game.

The story was BORING and the presentation even worse. Super dry and uninspired.

The loot was decent, especially with the expansion - but it couldn't match Diablo 2 there.

The online integration was a big issue, and never took off like Battle.net - which made it mostly a solo/local experience.

It WAS very pretty, though, is slightly too sterile for my tastes. The character system was great and flexible, but it had WAY too many passives and not enough exciting active skills.

Nah, I don't think it's all that good - and I tend to find it overrated by most.

Nah, I don't think it's all that good - and I tend to find it overrated by most.

and yet if most suggest it's good doesn't that then make it's quality more plausible?

Yes you will have to start new character.
Also if you are new to Soulvizier I suggest starting ranged class since early game can be rough for melee but in normalizes after first few hours.

I've have to give this a go. I picked TQ up years ago after hearing great things but I never got into it. It felt very bland and boring (have a similar issue with Grim Dawn). I usually love these types of games too.

Back
Top Bottom