RPGWatch 2008 Game of the Year - Most Promising RPG

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
As part of our Game of the Year election you also got to answer the question of the RPG that is a must have for you in 2009. This time the Editors' Choice is different from the choice of our visitors. Read it all here.
The most promising MMORPGs can be found on our sister site MMOWatch.
More information.

Editors, what were you thinking? AoD didn't even rate a mention from you? Shame!

Editors, what were you thinking? AoD didn't even rate a mention from you? Shame!

It's on my list but I had a load of games for this year so hopefully it'll be a better year for RPGs but don't quote me on that.

Wow, I missed the whole voting. I blame the holiday.

Anyway, I would've voted Risen, with Dragon Age as runner up, and Alpha Protocol 3rd. Looks like a good year for RPGs.

Whart bizarre results....note sure of how high AoD placed....but I can understand dragon age.

I am surprised Eschalon book 2 did not get more votes even if book 1 was the indie RPG of the year 2007.

Divinity 2 is the only game I tried on that list, let us hope it will satisfy the editors high expectations.

Nice list.
Think the top 3 are the ones I am looking forward to aswell + Alpha Protocol.
Risen and Divinity 2 might sneak onto me in the future but now I don't know much about them.
But looking at this list, if all those games come out in 2009, it might be one of the better RPG years in a long time, assuming they live up to expectations.

Have anyone seen a release date for an English version of Not the time for dragons?

Several editors did vote for AOD, but we have a very small staff, and only the top three picks from each were considered in the way Myrthos figured it up, I think. I think we're all looking forward to the game, nonetheless.

My list would be
1)Risen
2)Dragon Age
3)Diablo 3
Thank you guys for giving credits to Risen,It seems tha 2009 will be a very good year for RPGs.

Hmm, well, "most" promising is a strange concept as it seems to carry some implicit knowledge or at least sense of what the games will be like. None of the games mentioned stand out as obviously more promising - so I'm thinking they could all be great games.

If we're talking potential, then I think the one that COULD turn out to be the best of the bunch is the Alien CRPG from Obsidian. I've been dying for a decent game set in that world for a LONG time, and a CRPG is just icing on the cake.

Dragon Age died to me when it was announced as singleplayer only, as I'm not really too excited about yet another fantasy solo game. I don't expect much from Bioware these days, especially not after playing Jade Empire and Mass Effect.

Diablo 3 will most likely be a very good hack and slash game, but after the core of Blizzard North left - I'm not convinced it will be a true Diablo game.

Risen is probably my second on the list.

Beyond that, I don't immediate recall anything too exciting coming up. Darkfall, perhaps, but that's an MMO.

Darkfall is also a most promising game

I still can't believe people think Diablo III will come out this year..

Yeah, I'd have liked AoD to show up on our list but there are only so many voting slots.

The RPGWatch team has a strong interest in Larian Studios...to pick one example, Thomas Lenzen who worked on the story scripting and localisation used to be an RPGDot editor. I loved DD and I think they are doing some interesting stuff with Divinity 2. So, there's one.

Gothic II + NotR is in my top 3 games ever...so there's a vote. Dragon Age looks intriguing. I've followed David Gaider's comments on the forums for a long time.

But I'm really glad AoD got a strong reader vote and it only narrowly missed my vote.

From what I have read on the various developer's sites AOD certainly sounds the most like what I want from an RPG. Whether or not they can deliver of course remains to be seen.

Back
Top Bottom