Starcraft 2 - impression & review

Finished the campaign, loved it. It's a great experience, but the ingame cinematics are painful to watch since you know they canned Starcraft:Ghost.

My only gripes with the SP story is that some plot elements are in danger of becomming too Warcraft like.
Oh no, the Zerg weren't evil after all! They were just poor beings that were controlled by an even more evil force! It's like Warcraft Orcs all over again.
Apart from that though, I eagerly look forward to the first expansion.

Last edited:
Heh, I actually hadn't considered that. It's true, the scenario is very similar.

Finished the campaign, loved it. It's a great experience, but the ingame cinematics are painful to watch since you know they canned Starcraft:Ghost.

My only gripes with the SP story is that some plot elements are in danger of becomming too Warcraft like.
Oh no, the Zerg weren't evil after all! They were just poor beings that were controlled by an even more evil force! It's like Warcraft Orcs all over again.
Apart from that though, I eagerly look forward to the first expansion.

And Illidan and Kerrigan are almost identical characters:
ss53.jpg

Illidan.jpg

And not only the look, but the whole characteristics. Both of them were assassin at start and then they end up to evil side. Yet they fight against evil and in the end they redeem themselves.

Interesting business model.

Combined with the concept of commercial modules (NWN1), commercial DLC (ME/DA), episodic (Sam & Max) & "seasoned" (Sam & Max) etc.

this results in games becoming smaller and smaller
and more and more fragmented.

It's not really fair to consider SC2 in that light. The sp campaign is 26 missions long, it has branching choices for some missions, the parts in between when you can talk to people and suchlike on your ship feel a little like an adventure game, and each mission that I've played so far has an interesting twist on the gameplay, ie each mission feels more distinct than SC1, where most were just 'build big army -> Pound AI into pulp'. It's obvious more work has gone into it, a lot more.

The multiplayer is a whole bunch of fun, battle.net is well integrated and must have taken a fair amount of development time as well.

In every sense of the word, it's a bigger game than SC1. You don't get 3 race stories of 10 each to play, yes. But you get ~30 missions for Terran and they have done a great job so far of making them more varied than SC1. I don't feel like there is a lot of 'padding' so far, bearing in mind I'm about 12 missions in. It does not feel like 1/3rd of a game padded out to a full game length to milk it for more. In fact the Terran campaign contains about double the units of the MP Terran side, it's like they included all the fun ideas they could think of for Terran in one experience. Drop pods and rail tanks and flame turrets and electric panthers, why not?!?! If their motive was milking, why did they include all that instead of selling it as DLC? They gave more than they had to, not less.

I know we are all cynical of DLC and microtransactions but so far it is seeming to me like they were telling the truth when they said that their ambitions for the series were so big it warranted 3 whole games. And why not? Blizzard are big enough to both dream it and pull it off, unlike the other companies which promise a trilogy but stop after the first one isn't a smash hit.

I was never a fan of the Protoss in sc1, but I'm having a good time playing them in SC2. The game's growing on me, it takes a little while to get going since the first 10-12 or so missions are kinda walk in the park. The graphics are really good too, I'm impressed w/ how gross the Zerg are!

Finished the single campaign; not spectacular but good stuff (yeah - the story pretty cliche'). Also tried couple multiplayer games, resulted in 1 win and 1 lost.

In another news, on UK Top 10 Charts:

# TOY STORY 3
# CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2
# DANCE ON BROADWAY
# STARCRAFT II: WINGS OF LIBERTY
# RED DEAD REDEMPTION
# JUST DANCE
# DRAGON QUEST IX: SENTINELS STARRY SKIES
# LEGO HARRY POTTER: YEARS 1-4
# SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2
# BATTLEFIELD: BAD COMPANY 2

Wtf… Buzz Lightyear just kicks Jim Raynor on the head O_O

Last edited:
Finished the single campaign; not spectacular but good stuff (yeah - the story pretty cliche'). Also tried couple multiplayer games, resulted in 1 win and 1 lost.

In another news, on UK Top 10 Charts:

Wtf… Buzz Lightyear just kicks Jim Raynor on the head O_O

I've read that SC2 is the best selling PC title in the UK.

Hands down best single player and multiplayer p/c game i've played all year.. They've made the multiplayer feel like a MMO in itself, coming closer and closer to earning new achievements and portraits with each game.. I'am hooked.. I cant wait for the zerg chapter to come along; especially the single player which i was pleasantly surprised with, too bad im gonna have to wait for the 3rd chapter of SC2 to sink my teeth into what the protoss have to offer..

Back
Top Bottom